Neophyte hacker
So, you going to fly it tomorrow?
to remove ads between posts
Jul 23, 2009, 09:27 AM
LOL now that is needling charlie.
Jul 23, 2009, 09:28 AM
Pat;

Is the wing going to be removeable?

Or are the wing bolts just stronger holding it on?

Looking good so far.
Jul 23, 2009, 09:30 AM
Neophyte hacker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop
LOL now that is needling charlie.
Who me? I'd never do that
Jul 23, 2009, 10:38 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by portablevcb
So, you going to fly it tomorrow?
Naw, probably not till Saturaday

Dan, the wing is removable. I used the steel bolts for now since I was out of nylons. Will have to pick some up.

PAT
Jul 23, 2009, 11:24 AM
Thread OP
OK Guys, the Tail Fairing Block How-To is up and running here;

http://patscustom-models.com/tail_fairing_blocks.htm

PAT
Jul 23, 2009, 04:22 PM
It flew once before...
Gosh , I look away for a day and he's almost done !

-John
Aug 01, 2009, 03:47 PM
Coop, Charlie dosn't needle (well, maybe a little). But he is a fast builder. I watched him build and fly a complete plane at SMALL in LR this year.

Pat, The Ike looks fantastic. I had a chance to see the full sized replica at Oshkosh one year. The proportions are great for R/C. Now, how about the Mike and Pete to go with it?? Hint, hint........I know, I know, they are very similar. Better yet, how about a Travelair Mystery "S" ?? Just kidding. I know you have a lot on your plate. Just keep up the great work.

Craig (aka The Yank)

BTW, IT'S SATURDAY!!
Aug 03, 2009, 09:20 PM
Thread OP
As of late this afternoon the Ike was ready to cover. All the detail sanding is done, the motor and guidence is mounted, and she's redy to go. Should have a good start on it tomorrow. Will drop some pics as soon as I have some.

PAT
Aug 05, 2009, 08:30 AM
Thread OP

Landing Gear and Cowl

The nose bowl was carved from blue foam. Then the landing gear was built up and soldered together. The hook is there because the LG will have to be removed to get the wing off the fuselage, and the daisy cutter will need to be removed to get the gear off.
Aug 05, 2009, 08:32 AM
Thread OP

The Last Dry Run

Before covering begins, the model was put together for a last look at how things fit. Then once everything was in good shape, it was taken back apart and covering began.

PAT
Aug 05, 2009, 04:27 PM
It flew once before...
Pat ,

Looking Great ! This will look nice parked next to the GeeBee D .

-John
Aug 06, 2009, 09:49 PM
Thread OP

Finishing Up the Covering

Got the last of the cover on the fuselage this morning.
Aug 06, 2009, 09:56 PM
Thread OP

Setting up the Tail Section.

With the cover on the fuselage it was time to get the wing bolted on and the tail section set up. The rudder keys into the horizontal stab and the rear former making alignment a breaze The tailplanes were tack glued in place with a couple dabs of Cya, then a bead of Liquid Stich was run all the way around the perimeter on both sides. Then the lower tail blocks were glued in with Canopy 560 and set aside to dry overnight.

Tomorrow we'll get the upper blocks and rudder fairing blocks carved and glued in place, the hinges glued in and the controls hooked up. Then it'll be about time remount the motor and see how it runs.

PAT
Aug 08, 2009, 07:18 AM
Pat, the Ike looks absolutely stunning. I can't wait to see the completion. Most all of the Golden Age racing planes make wonderful subjects. This is going to make a great companion to the Gee Bee and "Miss Los Angeles". I believe you also have a DGA-6, aka "Mister Mulligan", in the works. Would like to see what Sparky could do with the cowl on this.

Craig

BTW, you guys and gals make a great team. Keep up the great work.

Quick Reply