Jul 15, 2009, 08:18 AM
Oh do the Little Toni. I have been wanting one of those for a while now.

Below is the Curtiss R2C that I was talking about.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 15, 2009, 08:25 AM
Thread OP
Coop, I get it now. I thought you were speaking of a racing class.

Thanks, PAT
Jul 15, 2009, 01:06 PM
UAS Pilot - FAA# *******HRK
Pat,

Any chance you might do a Curtiss Hawk P-6E?

Mike

BTW.... What happened with the Cessna Bobcat? I don't see, or maybe missed plans or a kit listed on your website.
Last edited by CryHavoc; Jul 15, 2009 at 01:15 PM.
Jul 16, 2009, 10:29 PM
Thread OP
CryHavoc, I actually started the plans for a 42" P-6E some time back, just haven't been able to stay on top of it. Will get back to it one day soon I hope.

Meanwhile, the fuse is all stringered up and have dry fit the tail section. Will post up the pics soon.

PAT
Jul 17, 2009, 12:48 AM
If you do get further along on the P6E it would be nice to have a Goshawk sister ship. Kind of like the Gee Bee D/E combo -- one inline, the other with a "round" nose.

I love the Goshawk with its round engine and those great Fleet colors.

Pete G.
Jul 23, 2009, 08:21 AM
Thread OP

Adding a Few Stringers

Before the stringering started, the wing mount plate and the last of the bottom formers were added.
Jul 23, 2009, 08:23 AM
Thread OP

Now It's Time To Get Seriouse With the Stringers

The top and bottom stringers went in first. The side stringers will go in a bit later after the tail blocks have n=been carved to shape.
Jul 23, 2009, 08:28 AM
Thread OP

Fitting the Bottom Fairing Block

The bottom block was carved from pink foam, but light balsa will do nicely too. This one was easy -- glue the blank in place and shape it up.
Jul 23, 2009, 08:31 AM
Thread OP

Fitting the Top Blocks

I'll work up a How-To for the Building Tips page on my web site in just a bit, so won't go into detail here. Once it's done I'll add the link to the post.
Jul 23, 2009, 08:35 AM
Thread OP

Finishing the Stringers

With the side stringers in place it became obvious that a bit of outfill would be neddedarounf the stab mount, so balsa fill was glued in place and sanded to shape.
Jul 23, 2009, 08:43 AM
Thread OP

Moving On to the Wings

The wing is pretty straight forward with the typical egg-crate style desdign. The spars are joined using ply dihedral braces. With the spars joined, the center section is assembled and the servo rails added.

Then the wing is rocked up onto the LH spars and the wing assembled over the plan.
Jul 23, 2009, 08:47 AM
Thread OP
The right wing is built the same as the left, then the assembly is sanded to shape and the ailerons cut free and finish sanded. Then the rigging blocks are added to complete the basic wing assembly.
Jul 23, 2009, 08:51 AM
Thread OP

Adding the Belly Pan

The wing is bolted to the fuselage, then the rear LG mount and belly formers added. The centerline stringer was added with the wing on the fuselage to make sure the former alignment stayed true. The wing was then removed and the last of the stringers added. And finally, balsa sticks were glued to the root ribs to give the cover something solid to attach to.
Jul 23, 2009, 08:55 AM
Thread OP

Rigging the Ailerons

The aileron torque rod links and bushings were made up from 3/32 O. D. aluminum tube. The torque rods were made from .056 wire and set up in the wing. The servo was mounted and them push rods bent to shape and installed. The links were glued in place with 5 minute epoxy.
Jul 23, 2009, 09:01 AM
Thread OP

Mounting the Motor

With all the framing done and the servos in place the motor was mounted on the firewall. The 1100 KV Avionics Breeze outrunner motor will be used this time. It's a nice little motor, and should make great power for the Ike.

With the motor mounted it was time for the first dry run. Everything fit great, so now it's time to get the LG built.

PAT

Quick Reply