Apr 01, 2011, 05:19 PM
Suspended Account
Remaiden for Ike in the rain, today. The increased weight made no difference and it flies like it's on rails! However, I can see that landing on grass, especially wet grass, isn't going to be much fun!
to remove ads between posts
Apr 01, 2011, 05:53 PM
Senile Member
Don't land on grass then. Good to hear (read?) that the flight went well.

Larry
Apr 01, 2011, 06:36 PM
Suspended Account
It's grass or nothing where I am. I hope there will be more of these built, now.
Apr 07, 2011, 12:55 PM
Suspended Account
Another very, very fine flight with Ike, today, before the rain shut me down.

My two cents, so far:

1. PLAN AHEAD regarding the power system (unlike me): Pat implies, and it's a great idea, to use a higher KV motor and 2s battery so IT FITS UNDER the former in front of the cockpit-right now, I have a rectangular pilot!

2. It is a bit pitch sensitive, so use plenty of expo with the elevator.

3. It does fly both fast and slow.

4. Landings REQUIRE a very shallow or flat approach on grass, to avoid nose-overs.

Again, high KV, 2s is best though if I ever get a 3s to "work" it'll go like croton oil through a widow woman!
Apr 17, 2011, 12:37 PM
Suspended Account
DANGER WILL ROBINSON!

In my opinion, the Ike SHOULD NOT be flown with a prop of less than a pitch of "6."

I used a 9/6 APC slo-fly originally, and decided to try a 9/4.7 slo fly on 3s to up my wattage yet keep my speed "low."

This is a big mistake as my Ike becomes near unstable and hard to fly at anything other than high throttle settings and very hard to land.

Just my two cents, but on 9/6 Ike flies like he is on rails and is very stable on approach.

Pat, what do you think?
Apr 18, 2011, 08:34 AM
Thread OP
Angel, Thre's something majic about propellers, and the one that that works best is the one to use. I've had some models that aren't too particular about what prop is used, others like one specific prop, and NOTHING else.

A friend told me one time that the best way to pick the right prop for any model is to grab a handful of props and head for the field. Try each one, and when you get to the right one, there will be no doubt about it -- and that's the one to use.

PAT
Apr 18, 2011, 11:33 AM
Planecrazy in Lodi
I agree 100% with the idea of trying different size props to find the "best" one!

At one time in my long aeromodeling "career", I did a LOT of testing, analyzing and experimenting with props. The main conclusion I arrived after a lot of that work was that is ALWAYS worth experimenting with different sized props on any given model, as it is almost totally impossible to predict what a given model will "like" best. I have had instances where I started out with my own "best guess" prop, and then tried a handful of different sized (and brands, and materials) props, only to conclude that the very first prop I tried was indeed the best! On the other hand, several times in the past I have tried an odd sized prop on a model just on a whim, only to find out that it was the BEST prop for that model!! Who knew?! Well, after taking a wild guess on a hunch, I DID!!!

By all means, if you're building one of Pat's models take his recommendation as to the correct prop, but also don't be afraid to experiment!

Kermit
Apr 18, 2011, 11:36 AM
Suspended Account
O.K.: my opinion, don't use anything less than a pitch of 6!

Quick Reply