Old Jul 14, 2009, 09:13 AM
Find More Posts by P. Tritle
Discussion

Howard Ike @ 30" Span

After the Brown B-2 and the GB-D were finished and flying nicely I thought it might be fun to add another Golden Age racer to the line-up. After much contemplation and a little coaxing from a friend I decided the Howard Ike might be a great choice. So with 3 views in hand, the project began.

In the meantime, I aquired an Avionics Breeze Outrunner for evaluation and thought at that size it would be a good choice for power for the Ike. The 1100 KV motor is rated up to 45 watts on 2 cells swinging a 7-4 - 8-6 prop, so should work well with a GWS DD prop for testing. We'll see how all that stacks up a little later.

Let's get Started.......
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2009, 09:16 AM
Find More Posts by GeoffinIN
Two left thumbs
Since I'm still slowly plodding away on a Golden Age racer myself, I'll follow this with great interest!

Geoff
Old Jul 14, 2009, 09:19 AM

Starting With the Outlines

The construction process began with bowing up the Stab, Rudder and Wingtip bows. For more info on how to make the bows, check out the Building Tips section of my Web Site here; http://patscustom-models.com/Bowed%20Outlines.htm

I like to make up all the bows before construction begins so that they will be available when the time comes
Old Jul 14, 2009, 09:21 AM

Starting At the Back

Construction began with the rudder and elevator. Nothing out of the ordinary here. The frames were laid up over the plans and when completed, sanded to shape and the hinges cut in.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 09:28 AM

Moving On To the Fuselage

Construction begins with the side frames. Once the frames are together, the turtle deck formers were reinforced with balsa to prevent breaking them as construction progresses.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 09:32 AM

Joining the Frames

I use a mahogany block I know is true to square up the formers on the RH fuselage side to start the process. Three formers are glued to the side frame, then the other frame glued in position.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 09:35 AM

Adding the Remaining Formers

The second side is glued in place and the rest of the formers are added. The front formers were glued in place first, then moving backwards from the cockpit to the tail.

Next up is to get the wing hold down plate in and start adding stringers -- lots of stringers!

PAT
Old Jul 14, 2009, 10:23 AM
Find More Posts by scratchnhover
Fly2Build.com
Good idea on the balsa strongbacks for the turtle deck formers Pat.

Great subject. Looking forward to following along.

Mike
Old Jul 14, 2009, 11:49 AM
Find More Posts by Coop
Oh I am going to buy this one if it becomes a kit cause I have always liked the Ike. I wished Pat would build some of the R2C racers that were raced during this time as well.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 01:34 PM
Find More Posts by Konrad
Suspended Account
I too like the Ike. Also nice size.

I have to ask will the vertical fin be flared into the head rest fairing by the covering?

Also how do you control the covering on the concave curve defining the turtle deck to head rest feature?

Also are the ailerons scale sized?

All the best,
Konrad
Old Jul 14, 2009, 03:10 PM
Find More Posts by Gerry Markgraf
Hi Pat

Nice to see you at work on another "Golden Era" racer. I will place an order as soon as I see it on your web site. I hope we can get Callie to do all of those neat louvers around the cowl area.

I'm attaching a picture to illustrate why I'm excited about this latest edition of your racer series. I got a lot of covering done last week on the Gee Bee D and the Brown B-2 (then relatives arrived for a week). It won't be too much longer before these 2 are finished and they will look real nice next to my Gee Bee Z.

I still need to finish a Martinsyde Elephant for Peter Rake and then the rest of your DC-6B. Then I should be ready to start the Ike and you should have the kit ready by then. Darn, I thought I was done molding curved surfaces for awhile.

Gerry
Old Jul 14, 2009, 03:17 PM
Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
You may have answered this on the DC-3/C-47 thread, but the question is, will this be a magazine article with a short kit, a Dumas model, or direct from Pat's Custom Models (plan and parts) when completed?

Pete G.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 04:37 PM
Find More Posts by jofrost
It flew once before...
Either way I'm in for one of these ! Looks great so far Pat

-John
Old Jul 15, 2009, 12:05 AM
Find More Posts by WTFLYR
Suspended Account
Good choice. Gilmore Red lion and other's would be nice too.

Possible Dumas release?
Old Jul 15, 2009, 08:51 AM
Wow, the response to the Ike has been way better then I had espected. Actually, the design is the second of possibly as many as 3 racers being done as Construction Articles for the good folks at AirAge (MAN / BYF) -- the GeeBee D was the first, and ran in the September issue of BYF. Once this one is published I'll have Short Kits available for it directly from my web site.

I'll definitely have Callie do up the graphics. Jerry Yarrish did his 1/3 scale Ike that I think Callie did the graphics for too, so it'll be a simple re-scaling for this one.

The ailerons are scale in oultline. Normally, like with the GB-D, I wouldn't do that, but these were already huge, so didn't see any need to alter the outline.
The top of the fuselage is covered along with the fin in one piece. To help fair the cover, the top stringers run all the way back to the rudder post. You'll see it better when the stringers go on -- hope to get to that today.

Coop, I'm not familiar with the term "R2C" that you mentioned. I have, however, given some seriouse thought to trying a Formula 1 type in this construction style. I did the Shoestring and the Lil' Tony a few years ago @ 30" in the typical "Jim Ryan style" for speed 400 and they both flew great, so would imagine that those types should do well a little lighter with modern brushless power and LiPo's too.

PAT