Jul 12, 2009, 07:14 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Scratch Building an F-16 or F-18?

Hello Everyone, I am brand new to the forum and had some questions about building an RC Jet. Is it possible to build an F-16 or F-18 from scratch? I have searched the internet and can't really find any guides, maybe if you guys knew something or could point me in the right direction. I had some ideas for some ways to do this, so if you could tell me what you think.

First I would get a large scale plastic model kit of an F-16 or F-18. I would then either make silicon molds of each of the pieces, or have a buddy of mine make a clay sculpture of each piece, this way I could carve in places for the servos and other equipment to go. Then make silicon molds and cast them with plastic cast, or fiberglass. Then I would have the shell of the full plane, then is it a matter of fitting a turbine, servos, landing gear, and the rest of the needed equipment?

Please tell me what you think and help me out.

Thanks,

Brad
to remove ads between posts
Jul 13, 2009, 11:06 PM
as many models as their are of those 2 jets.. its kind of a mute point to go thru all the hassle... you would spend more in the materials for the plugs, molds and first few useable parts than you would in just buying a kit thats already offered.
Jul 14, 2009, 12:01 AM
Thread OP
Ah yes I was realizing this but If I had my own custom model molded, in the even I crash or break a part, i can easily make another for very cheap. Also, i have been having a hard time finding larger scale model jets, do you know of any good websites. Like a model model not something that's $3000
Jul 14, 2009, 11:55 AM
Have you flown before?
Jul 14, 2009, 01:44 PM
Thread OP
Yes as in Electric Park flyers and such but nothing compared to an EDF or Turbine powered Jet. Yes I'm In it for the flying experience but alot of it is because I love to build things and this sounds like a great project. I also just acquired a mentor who has been flying and building RC planes his whole life, and has his own workshop so he could help me through the building and eventually could teach me to fly a Jet.
Jul 14, 2009, 02:06 PM
if the only experience you have is with electric park flyers, i'd suggest getting some more experience flying other larger and heavier models.. turbine jets are "hard" to fly, but they are a heckuva lot different flying wise than an electric park flyer.
Jul 14, 2009, 02:55 PM
Thread OP
I will get more experience flying but I'm not worried about that, I have someone who could fly and "test" it for me. Yes i still will learn to fly larger scale planes and jets but I didn't post this to get help about flying one, I want to build one. So if you could help me with the building process that would be appreciated. I'm not trying to be rude, I get what your saying I would just like someone to help me get started building one.
Jul 24, 2009, 12:07 PM
No such thing as overpowered
personally I wouldn't build one.

get one like the tam jets 1:8 F-16 or the AD jets 1:6.5. these may boast ARTF but I have seen build threads and they need more building. plus more people have them so that means more help and more spare parts. a sim is a very good idea. its best to get used to the jet lag (i recomend phoenix)
Jul 31, 2009, 08:17 PM
Registered DLG addict
id get a F-16

Quick Reply