Jul 11, 2009, 05:49 PM
KingtechUSA
Thread OP
Discussion

Yellow F16 or Tams?

I was planning on getting a tams 1:8 F16 this next week but this weekend I found a killer deal on a yellow F16. I really want the yellow but unsure about the FSA. I am using the EVF5612 and new 12S 40C thunderpowers.

I was able to set everything inside of the yellow and get it to balance fine. Its a tight fit I think the yellow would have crazy perfomance and insane vertical because its so light. With everything accept the power system its only 8 pounds. But if the fan cant eat the air it needs it will not matter. I know the Tams will work well but the yellow is cheaper and it has the nice scale gear and its alot lighter.

What do you guys think? I know kirk had his flying well with a TF4000 so I would think the EVF would bo ok also but I may be wrong.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 11, 2009, 06:15 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
I'm shocked you could get those packs in that little guy!

I love the yellow gear it looks really nice.. I bet you would get a longer flight time and better performance with the yellow ... but someone should chime in on the ducting... I've heard it's not the best. But maybe with the extra blades on your fan it won't care... does your fan fit it the stock ducting?

one thing I will note it that Tams size wise is much bigger and make the yellow look like a toy...
with that said I like both planes

I've heard of yellow F-16 with light fans weighing 15 + pounds ready to fly...
Tams is much bigger and will come in around 16.5

if you have 6500 mah packs ...get Tams ... you can get a 6:00 flight with those packs...if there 5000 mah then maybe the yellow.. both will be fun

JMHO
later
Ron
Jul 11, 2009, 06:38 PM
KingtechUSA
Thread OP
They are the 6500 packs bro. The yellow gear is just so freaking sweet looking! And I think it would be insane fast. I brought my old byron wich is the same size as tams and it was a little smaller so I here ya on the size but with it being so much lighter it might be worth it. I didnt know I could get 6 mins with Tams wow thats nice. I was sold on the yellow now you got me thinking again Ron

I also think I could put a micro servo on the canopy for the yellow just another nice little touch and I can save 4 hundred dollars. But saving that and not being happy with the plane and wishing I had the other would suck. My only question is the darn inlet. the stock ducting is 120MM its the same exact size as the EVF inlet extension.
Jul 11, 2009, 06:46 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
I think 6:00 is do able
at 3:30 on my TJ A-4 I pull 3000 mah with good throttle control
If I firewall it then I pull 3800 mah...

So I either set my timer for 3:30 and punch it or 4:30 and fly scale... it takes really good control to get 4:30 ... and it's more fun to haul axx...lol

So of course flight will depend on how you fly it

I'd say 5:00 fire walled or 6:00 scale

Ron
Jul 11, 2009, 11:38 PM
I read somewhere that the FSA for the yellow isn't large enough. I may be wrong. Just do a search and you can find lot's of information..........
Jul 12, 2009, 01:32 AM
smug in granny panties
yeah FSA for yellow is 108mm, the inlet itself is a tad bigger but over the gear former where it counts it's tiny. TheTam F-16 is huge and FSA is not a prob. I have never seen nor heard of a Yellow F-16 with any brand of 120mm fan get over 8 pounds thrust installed due to it's small FSA, and that I might add is even with the montana mod where you cut the splitter area between the extra inlets on Yellow open from side to side.

Barry
Jul 31, 2009, 07:09 PM
I think i read that gunrad is getting 11 pounds of installed thrust with the montana mod.
Jul 31, 2009, 07:13 PM
Yes he said 11 pounds thrust and went like a rocket.
Jul 31, 2009, 07:47 PM
Got to see a Tam F-16 fly today. It was really maneuverable and landed good.
Jul 31, 2009, 08:07 PM
It seen funny...for all that power on 120mm fan put in the F-16.
TJ100 can put out more power just with 4kw and still 3 pound lighter fan and batteries set up.
Jul 31, 2009, 08:35 PM
KingtechUSA
Thread OP
The TJ does not put out more power no way. You also said you flew yours at 11 pounds but I looked back in the thread and back when you flew it it was 15 pounds witch was only one pound lighter then my set up and mine didn't sound like a little foamy like your fan. With all three batteries no doubt I could fly for over 5 mins easy.
Last edited by gunradd; Jul 31, 2009 at 08:45 PM.
Jul 31, 2009, 08:39 PM
Team White Llama!
lets not get into fan wars here again.

Both yellow's fly great. Gunradd's static thrust maybe the same but in the air i'm sure it's putting those 5000watts to good use.
Jul 31, 2009, 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunradd
The TJ does not put out more power no way. You also said you flew yours at 11 pounds but I looked back in the thread and back when you flew it it was 15 pounds witch was only one pound lighter then my set up and mine didn't sound like a little foamy like your fan. With all three batteries no doubt I could fly for over 5 mins easy.

Maybe I was wrong on my F-16 weight. Too many plane and hard to remember all of them. My was done as turbine set up and convert back to EDF. So there some weight I can't do anything about it.
But I was not off on the fan and batteries weight set up.

My point here is any fan install in the F-16 only get 11 lbs max out of it.
Is better to go with the light weight set up and use less power to gain your effecient by not pushing with dead weight.
There is some other fan out there can put out close to 11 lbs and is not 120mm.
The problem here is FSA is not enough for 120mm. It doesn't matter you got 5kw, 6kw or 10kw. You not getting the performance in the Yellow F-16 with power you had.
Last edited by Tamjets; Jul 31, 2009 at 09:18 PM.
Jul 31, 2009, 11:48 PM
DS-51 can put out 11lbs
Aug 01, 2009, 12:40 AM
Registered EDF abuser
What exactly is a "montana mod" ?

Quick Reply