Apr 06, 2003, 08:59 AM
Heli Noob
Thread OP

Expand battery bay in flying wing?

Anybody have any tips on how to do this. I have an XE2 and 2 different battery packs for it. The 1700 AUP seems to fit fine, but I also have a 1800 NIMH AA pack that a little wider. Is there a good technique for expanding a battery bay that's buried inside a wing? Thanks for the help.---Navyflier
to remove ads between posts
Apr 06, 2003, 10:11 AM
Navyflier,

I ran into the same problem. I also have an XE2.
I bought some rechargeable AA's and built my own battery packs (I built 2 sets) , before I picked up my XE2. I also purchased to battery packs from Weston at combatwings. The AA's are a bit wider and I do not want to modify the wing at the present time. But it is cheaper to build your own battery packs; so I will want
to modify the wing in the future. If you get some info on this
keep in touch. damian.goderich@boeing.com

P.S
Where is the CG on the XE2 Combat wing??? I want to be able
to mark the position of the battery pack to make installation idiot
proof.
Apr 06, 2003, 04:32 PM
"Bible Thumper"
If it's one of those 8cell flat packs, tear off the heatshrink and fold it over.
Apr 06, 2003, 08:26 PM
Heli Noob
Thread OP

Still need help

It is a flat pack, but I need to make it wider inside not shorter for the battery pack. Damian, I will let you know if I find a way. The balance point on the XE2 should be about 7 1/2 -7 3/4 inches from the nose. AT least that is what the original XE was. 7 3/4 was more for the thermal version. The instruction manual for the XE is on their website. Hope that helps. Anyone drill out a bigger battery bay out there? ---Navyflier
Apr 06, 2003, 11:05 PM
Damian,

This is John - met you today @ El Dorado park in Long Beach! You should recognize my icon now

As navyflier says, the XE2 should balance between 7 1/2" - 7 3/4" from the nose. If it gets much further back it is flyable, but lotsa more twitchy. I currently have about 2 oz in the nose of my XE2, but I have Coroplast elevons, which may be adding to the tail weight.

navyflier, I bought an XE back in December and converted it to an XE2. I emailed Weston about the difference; he said to just Dremel the slot a little deeper on each side. Worked great! Unfortunately, it can only be done before the wing halves are glued together!

AFAIK, there is no good way to expand the battery bay short of cutting out the top of the wing and replacing it with Coroplast (like the WingWarrior stock setup - see page 10 of their great instructions).

MAYBE if you have a Dremel flex shaft attachment and a lot of time, but it still looks pretty difficult. The way I have been flying lately, I may have to replace the nose soon anyway; too many nose-in "landings."

Hope this helps a bit. If you figure out a good way to expand the battery bay, please let us know. Good luck!
Apr 07, 2003, 09:04 AM
"Bible Thumper"
I do believe dremel also has a 90' accessory now.
Apr 07, 2003, 11:37 AM
Heli Noob
Thread OP

Thanks

Turaboy,
Thanks that info actually does help. I'll see if I can drill it out without wrecking the whole nose! ---Navyflier
Apr 08, 2003, 10:27 AM
Thanks Navyflier & John for the info. I bought my XE2 built
so I did not receive any info/documention on it. Weston (combatwings) is suppose to place a pdf document on the XE2
on his web, but he has not done it yet.

Two questions for you guys.

1. The reason I asked about the CG is that yesterday morning I went out for my 4 fourth flight of my XE2 (with 3 prior succesfull flights) and I could not get the dam thing to climb! It would just float like it did not have enough power to climb. I had a fully charged battery pack. Could a screwed up CG cause it to do this?
The only thing that has moved is probably the placement of the battery. I have 1-2 inches of play depending on how far I slide the battery into the nose.

2. What does the red LED on the ESC mean? When I am at minimum and maximum throttle a red LED goes off inside the plane.

Thanks
Damian..

Quick Reply