Jul 09, 2009, 11:52 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

E-Flite brushless outrunners vs Turnigy brushless outrunner motors

How does E-Flite vs Turnigy brushless motors compare?
Here's what I want to compare
an E-Flite Power 32 vs a Turnigy TR-35-41A
The E-flite is about $89.95 vs the Turnigy at less than $25
Or would I be better off with an AXI brushless outrunner.
I already purchased an E-Flite Power 32 , but it was bad right out of the box, was very difficult to turn over.or rotate.
So it's going back to E-Flite.
Last edited by Ercoupe Ed; Jul 09, 2009 at 12:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 09, 2009, 01:41 PM
Dave North
Haven't tested any of those motors specifically, so I can't really say. Generally, the Eflites are nothing special, so paying more compared to the Turnigy is a questionable proposition. Axi motors are sometimes pretty fair, other times ho-hum. Generally better built than either of the other two. Windings are sometimes inferior, even at the high price.

Dave
Jul 09, 2009, 01:56 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Dave,
I also have several other airplanes to convert to E-power and or build yet.
So if I can save some money and get comparable quality and performance, I'll choose that route.
I converted an old timer gas RC assist 80 inch span Playboy Senior and was looking forward to flying it tomorrow.
The sad part is I was going to take my girlfriends 8 year old Grandson along with me, because he just loves airplanes of all kinds and flying.
I recently got him into the EAA Young Eagles program, and he got his first full scale airplane ride.
He still has an ear-to-ear grin on his face and tells everybody about his airplane ride!
My airplane-a full scale 1946 Ercoupe is in the shop and won't fly for at least 6 more weeks.
So I told Drew that when the Playboy was ready, I'd take him along. Now here I set with an airplane, no motor, and beautiful weather!

Thanks,
Ed
Jul 09, 2009, 02:54 PM
Dave North
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ercoupe Ed
Now here I set with an airplane, no motor, and beautiful weather!
Sounds about normal! Good luck ... oh, and of the various moderately-priced motors I've tested, perhaps the best value overall has been the rarely-seen Dualsky motors. Not the cheapest, but often the best test-stand results short of hand winding. Something to consider, but ymmv as always.

Dave
Jul 16, 2009, 08:43 AM
Gavin

AXI motors

If I may add my 2c worth.........I have flown my AXI motors real hard for two and a half years, and have never even changed a bearing. They ARE in a class of their own. Hacker come close. I have tried other brands, but never get the performance and flight times that I achieve with the AXI's. They do cost more, for a reason. This is obviously my opinion, although based on experience.

Cheers,
Last edited by Flyitall; Jul 16, 2009 at 03:09 PM.
Jul 16, 2009, 08:53 AM
Try Grayson Hobbies and BP Products. They both sell a full line of Chinese motors that have done very well by me and several of the guys I fly with, plus, the price is really good. Cheers.
Jul 16, 2009, 11:24 AM
Dave North
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyitall
I have flown my AXI motors real hard for two and a half years, and have never even changed a bearing.
Gotta agree. AXI mechanicals are excellent throughout. Balance, fit and finish have been top notch on every one I've taken apart.

Dave
Jul 20, 2009, 01:24 AM
Registered Aircraft Offender
I agree Axi is less of a crap shoot than Turnigy, but price and value is where it get's interesting. If you are a 1 or 2 plane type of guy, you might find more value in only buying the best... Lehner, Hacker, Axi, Medusa, or Neu, but then it's always best to ask here what motors will work for your project; you never know if Turnigy has an "Axi killer" in your size range. On the other hand, if you are a 10 or 20 plane guy, you often have to own at least a few el-cheapo motors just to do your thing.

Rewinding is a part of my hobby, so it's usually the high end motors that give me buyers remorse.

Kev

[note to self: Startup a cheapo motor bearing upgrade business. ]
Jul 20, 2009, 10:44 AM
Dave North
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truglodite
note to self: Startup a cheapo motor bearing upgrade business. ]
Make some better (or just _some_) thrust washers while you're at it...

Dave
Jul 20, 2009, 11:27 AM
Registered Aircraft Offender
I was sort of kidding about the bearing business; too much competition already... just a matter of those established ceramic bearing suppliers discovering my market and there ya go.

The thrust washers on the other hand; I work at a very well equipped machine shop, so turning thrust washers would be no problem. Next time we're slow I'll throw some brass in the collet and go to town. If anything, I'll may just supply RCG rewinders with stepped thrust washers for cost+shipping... for the cause. Sizes besides 3mm?

Any other quickie machining ideas that would further the rewinding cause?

Cheers,
Kev

[edit: Stepped C-collet style CF shaft retainers? j/k]
Jul 20, 2009, 11:39 AM
Oh look a fly buzzin by !
Scorpion and Hyperion (same mfgr) are my current favorites, along with JGF, then maybe Align, but I did have a vibration problem with a 430L 3550 and 400LF 2800 can separation.
I'd say Scorp and JGF.

CH
Jul 20, 2009, 02:26 PM
Dave North
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truglodite
Next time we're slow I'll throw some brass in the collet and go to town. If anything, I'll may just supply RCG rewinders with stepped thrust washers for cost+shipping... for the cause. Sizes besides 3mm?
I never seem to use 'em, but 1/8" and 4mm are common, though I think most of them usually do have thrust washers, if maybe not the very best...

Dave
Jul 20, 2009, 02:52 PM
homo ludens modellisticus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chophop
Scorpion and Hyperion (same mfgr) ...
Only the Hyperion Zs series is produced by Scorpion. Straight from the horse's mouth:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1022801
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...1#post11497331

Vriendelijke groeten Ron

Quick Reply