A simple build Plank with KFm4 section.. with WOW! factor.. Called it the "Nifty" - Page 4 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jul 12, 2009, 09:50 AM
Out the Window
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybernaught
Nice looking build so far, Jack.

She should be easy to see with the black tape on it. Hey, regarding your "Mainesoon" Does it look anything like this???
I took this around 1:30pm today. As you can see I didn't get my maiden done!
WX never cooperates when you want it to.

Mabuhay Guys,
Steve.
Steve....it looks like a great day to fly a kite. I have a bunch of kites as that was my interest before getting back into RC. I was always looking for windy days and now I look for quiet days!

Ray
to remove ads between posts
Jul 12, 2009, 10:04 AM
Jack
"..Hey, regarding your "Mainesoon" Does it look anything like this???..."

Sort of, a little less wind and none of those funny looking trees you guys have.

Jack
Jul 12, 2009, 04:52 PM
Spaced Oddity.
Thanks Dave!
Just finished my FFF "Dust pan flyer" and had a great first few flights despite a bit of wind. I was attempting to make a video and unfortunately concentrated too much on the position of the camera than the position of the sun.. got blinded just long enough to have a "surprise" crash (kind of funny video despite the embarrassment!). What is more embarrassing is that I was near the end of the DV tape when I started... yes, I got about 10 seconds of video of three flights.
Great flyer; stable, FAST turns with little loss of altitude. That version had a 480 brush motor, with a gear drive. After the "sun crash" I upgraded to a AW2215-20 from Blackdogrc.com. with a 10 X 7 prop and a 2200 3cell...WOW! This plane can be a rocket! 22.6 oz. with 35 oz. of thrust; really caught me by surprise!
The only issues I have had is that I needed to extend the nose of the plane another inch so that I could move the battery back a bit. One of the rough landings in the wind made me realise that that battery needed to be back a little more with a bit of foam in front of it "just in case"! I don't mind having the motor in the front, in fact I like it and I see now that it might be necessary for a good COG, but the field where I fly is a "bit rough"; not a lot of SOFT grass to land on, but there is a paved strip. Landing gear might be the next addition.
Video to come as soon as the WIND DIES DOWN!!
Jul 12, 2009, 05:11 PM
Dave, just curious and if I missed in the thread sorry, but have use used any other format for this plank other than the kfm4?
Jul 13, 2009, 02:51 AM
Onward through the fog.

Ignore this post.

nt.
Last edited by Cybernaught; Jul 13, 2009 at 02:58 AM.
Jul 13, 2009, 04:01 AM
Nice one parrot pilot...what size "Nifty" did you build?... full specs please and some pics..For rough field landing do what I did, with the cog correct you can slow it right down and just let it flop the last foot or so with no fear of any damage

If yours is the 32" size that means you are flying it over 7oz heavier with another 10oz thrust...so I bet it does go just a bit

tymbrewolf
Kfm4 is the only one ive tried, and its the one I prefer.. KFm4 gives a good steady aerobatic wing with more of a neutral feel than say the KFm2 or 3 which normally give better lift. I also think the slightly thicker section helps keep the top speed limited and the hard balsa spar sandwiches at the step make this wing well able to take the stesses its high degree of manouverability will place upon it..

All of us seem to be suffering with the wind at the moment.. here ive got strong cross winds that really mess up any chance of a nice bit of flying
Last edited by davereap; Jul 13, 2009 at 05:16 AM.
Jul 13, 2009, 09:56 AM
Spaced Oddity.
Yes Dave, it's the 32. The field where I fly is not so great; always a bit of a breeze to just plane windy, lots of brush, no soft place to land. The only good thing is that it's 4 minutes away and roomy. The next nearest field is a private club that has a HUGE runway, always seems to have calm winds, and has everything except electricity. It's also a 50 minute drive (if traffic is light)
I just build them fast out of low cost materials, extra strong; lots of tape to keep out the thorns , and use a bigger motor to compensate for the extra weight (that helps with the wind too). "The Nifty" is just perfect for my circumstances; very sturdy, turns fast (the wind also changes direction quite a bit there!), and has the stability and speed to fight the wind when necessary.

Arrowind 2215/20 brushless motor
Dynam 25 Premium Speed Control ESC
Flightmax (Zippy) 2200 mAh 3 cell, 20C
Hitec TX / RX
And some generic servos that are going to need to be upgraded!
Jul 13, 2009, 10:43 AM
Foam Master
Has anyone tried a vert takeoff? I think that would be cool!
Jul 13, 2009, 11:10 AM
Ive made a decal for the design using corel draw..heres a black version and the cdr file in a zip
Print onto colored paper..for the lettering color. cut around the letters and fix with a clear film
Last edited by davereap; Jul 13, 2009 at 12:02 PM.
Jul 13, 2009, 06:03 PM
Onward through the fog.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap
Ive made a decal for the design using corel draw..heres a black version and the cdr file in a zip
Print onto colored paper..for the lettering color. cut around the letters and fix with a clear film
Hey Dave,

Is the official name for your plank "Nifty"?

Like the decals.

Still a bit windy but I plan to take the delta out and see how she handles the wind and if the wind dies the Plank will get a maiden. I'll keep updates here.

WX forecast is for moderate to strong winds, rain with occasional thundershowers. We have LPA off to the east and it's coming this way!

Steve.

Edit:

Tried the plank but the receiver transmitter refused to talk to each other. I didn't get a flight in.
Second time I 've had probs with this transmitter. I think I'll put the other 2.4GHz receiver in the Plank and try that. If the setup is different from the Thistle I can keep in on the computer and then load it when I want to fly the Plank. 72Mhz stuff has cost me one plane I know of for sure, the Zagnutz. Come to think of it it was this transmitter too. Hmmmm..
Last edited by Cybernaught; Jul 13, 2009 at 10:24 PM.
Jul 13, 2009, 09:41 PM
flyin' fool
good name for sure..........init!
Jul 14, 2009, 03:49 AM
Yes "Nifty" it is...the comment in the video from my better half gave its name.. she does all my videoing and doesnt make many comments so that was praise from her.
She was well pleased when I showed her the plane with the decal on it

I am still waiting on the wind to drop, but I am getting impatient, so I might fly despite the poor conditions..give the cheapo 2208-21 a go..

15mph + to day 20 tomorrow lovely sunny and warm, but no good for the foamies
Last edited by davereap; Jul 14, 2009 at 09:18 AM.
Jul 14, 2009, 08:38 AM
Onward through the fog.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap
Yes "Nifty" it is...the comment in the video from my better half gave its name.. she does all my videoing and doesnt make many comments so that was praise from her.
She was well pleased when I showed her the plane with the decal on it

I am still waiting on the wind to drop, but I am getting impatient, so I might fly despite the poor conditions..give the cheapo 2208-21 a go..
"Nifty it is", then, is a good call, Dave.

My compliments to your better half on the naming of your new baby.

Well my Nifty has had a TX transplant. I didn't convert to the 2.4G receiver I matched the RX to my ESky 4ch TX. We'll see how it goes tomorrow weather permitting.

I see the nose with it's tractor motor as a weak spot so we'll see how it goes. BW to try it and BP21 if I need or want more power. Cross your fingers I get good WX and I'll cross mine that you do too. If I do get to fly and break off the nose then look for major mods to the power system configuration....

Happy landings,
Steve.

WX update:
Tropical Cyclone Update
Issued at: 5:00 p.m, 14 July 2009
The Low Pressure Area East of Northern Mindanao has developed into a Tropical Depression and was named "ISANG".

Winds at 55 kmph and a new LPA 285 Km to the west.

Maybe Thistle will get a windy workout.....
Last edited by Cybernaught; Jul 14, 2009 at 09:01 AM.
Jul 14, 2009, 12:14 PM
Well, I have the airframe complete and motor installed. All I need to do is mount the servos/horns and velcro on my radio gear. I just rewound a HC Emax 2805 so I need to check the amp draw at the LHS on the way to work this afternoon. If all is good there I'll give her a toss Wed A.M..... Wish me luck!

Umm.... I just tested the motor with a prop and it feels like it's quite weak... I doubt it will lift the plane... I might need to rethink this....
Jul 14, 2009, 01:04 PM
The wind dropped for about 1 hr so I managed a flight and video..then a load of heavy rain came through.. luckily I was inside doing the video at that time..

Ive just got the second flight test and video made..This flight was made with the COG at 22%.. It is still stable but you will see in a couple of places it is nearly as far back as you will want to fly it... nearly but not quite there..

Power up acceleration is now almost flat..The rolls are more axial..
The cheapo bell has more than enough power, but it didnt feel any faster.
With the more rearward COG I can now fly very slow, at these speeds it is not quite stable enough...a bit of nodding shows up...I think it needs some extra elevator control movements and the end fins made a touch larger and fixed more centrally to channel the air..just nit picking here
Inverted is not bad..
things to watch for.. flatter acceleration at 1.30... a nice long parachute descent at 1.45... inverted at 2.36 ...rolls and loops all over
Nifty 2408-21 powered ...the KFm4 plank part 2 (5 min 53 sec)
Last edited by davereap; Jul 14, 2009 at 01:34 PM.