GWS 2.4GHz Parkflyer Radio System Review

An early look at the new GWS 2.4GHz PARKFLYER radio system with limited range!

Splash

Introduction

Slow Stick Test Plane
Slow Stick Test Plane
Wingspan:46.3"
Wing Area:505.9 sq in
Weight:20 oz.
Length:37.6
Servos:GWS Naro +D digital sub-micro servos
Transmitter:T4GP 2.4 GHz 4 ch transmitter
Receiver:R-4S 2.4 GHz 4 ch receiver
Battery:3-cell 11.4V 1050 Mamp battery pack
Motor:GWS Brushless motor
ESC:GWS 35 Amp brushless
Manufacturer:GWS USA
Available From:GWS USA

GWS 2.4 GHz Parkflyer system
GWS 2.4 GHz Parkflyer system
Transmitter:T4GP-2.4GHz 4 channel transmitter
Receiver:R-4S 2.4GHz 4 channel receiver
Manufacturer:GWS USA
Available From:GWS USA
Price Transmitter & receiver:$42.00
Price Receiver w binding plug:$15.00

GWS has introduced their first 2.4GHz radio system. This system has LIMITED RANGE and is recommended only for small electric parkflyers. The transmitter is small and similar in appearance to the one used as their new flight simulator controller. These controllers look and feel like game controllers and are very comfortable in the hand. GWS will be coming out later with a full range 2.4 GHz radio system which will be a more traditional looking R/C transmitter.

GWS supplied me with their very popular Slow Stick now with an aluminum fuselage as the test plane, and later I also received a classic GWS Beaver. With both planes I received a GWS brushless motor and mount, brushless controller and LiPo battery pack, GWS charger and power adapter along with GWS digital servos. I even got accessory wheels for the main landing gear and the tail wheel for my Slow Stick. I had already assembled and was flying the Slow Stick when the Beaver arrived. I asked my friend Dick Andersen to assemble and fly the Beaver for this radio review. The new transmitter (per its box) is or will be made in five colors: black, blue, yellow, gray and pink. Currently it is only available in black in the United States. It is available in modes 1 and 2. Dick's and my transmitters were both mode 2. Mode 2 is what most of us in North America use to fly. Mode 2 has throttle and rudder control on the left stick with ailerons and elevator on the right stick.

The GWS 2.4GHz transmitters and receivers are designed to work only with GWS 2.4GHz equipment. To the best of my knowledge the receivers will not work with any other brand's transmitters nor the GWS transmitters with any other brand's receivers. I did not test to confirm that they don't work with other systems as I don't have all the other GHz systems that are currently out. I used the GWS 2.4 GHz receivers only with the new GWS 2.4 GHz transmitter and vice-versa. I did fly with Futaba and JR 2.4 GHz systems in use and none of us had any interference from each other. Servos with standard connectors of other makes can be used just as GWS servos can be used with other company's receivers using their universal connectors.

Kit Contents

The Radio Kit Included:

• 1 GWS R-4S 4 channel 2.4GHz receiver
  • 1 GWS T4GP-2.4GHz 4 channel transmitter
  • 1 Radio Instruction Manual

Items Author Supplied:

• 4 AA Alkaline Batteries for the transmitter
  • Female JST connector for the ESC

Assembly

No assembly as such was required of the radio system. I did have to bind the system as described below. I did connect the ESC and the servo connectors into the receiver. While doing that I double checked that I was plugging in all connectors correctly. I plugged in and removed connectors only when the receiver was off. I always have my receiver off (no power) when I plug in or remove any connectors from the receiver.

When installing the receiver into or in the case of the Slow Stick onto the aircraft the antennas are to be positioned 180 degrees from each other and kept as straight as possible. Both antennas are straight out from opposite sides of the receiver. It was recommended that they should be kept away from conductive materials (such as carbon or metal), as well as the motor and the ESC and other electric "noise" sources as much as possible.

Binding

Binding is the linking of the transmitter and receiver, and each have their own unique code. Once bound the receiver only listens to the transmitter to which it is bound. GWS advises that a transmitter can be bound to up to six receivers at one time. I was only able to confirm binding to two receivers at the same time.

Binding Procedure:

• Place transmitter and receiver within a yard of each other.
  • With power off, plug the binding plug into the receiver's battery port.
  • Power on the receiver by connecting the battery to a plugged in ESC or plug a battery into any unused port. Red light should then be blinking.
  • Turn on the transmitter within 10 seconds of plugging the battery into the receiver.
  • They will bind in a few seconds and blinking red light on receiver will go to solid red.
  • Disconnect the battery from the receiver, turn off the transmitter and remove the binding plug from the receiver.
  • Turn on the transmitter, connect the battery to the receiver and confirm they are working together.

Receiver Channels

Receiver Channels

• Bottom channel is for a battery pack
  • Channel 1 is for the ailerons
  • Channel 2 is the elevator channel
  • Channel 3 is the throttle channel
  • Channel 4 is the rudder channel

Radio Specifications as Supplied by GWS

Transmitter

• Model: T-4GP
  • Encoder: 4-channel
  • Frequency: 2.4GHz-2.483GHz (ISM Band)
  • RF output power: +4dBm(Max.)
  • Current drain: 45mA
  • Power supply: 6V (1.5V x 4) dry cell
  • Control range: 1.5ms+0.25ms(CH1, 2 & 4), 1.5ms+0.4ms(CH3)
  • Low battery indicator: Below 4.8V (LED turns from green to red)

Receiver

• Model: R-4S
  • Receiving system: 4-channel(DSSS)
  • Frequency: 2.4GHz-2.483GHz(ISM Band)
  • Power requirement: 4.8V or 6V
  • Current drain: 35mA
  • Size: 1.1" x 0.7" x 0.47"
  • Weight: 0.11 oz
  • Fail-Safe: With loss of signal, throttle channel goes to idle others hold last position.
  • Order Number is GWRX4SB: Individual receivers for $15.00.

GWS Slow Stick: Initial Test Plane

GWS supplied a Slow Stick to use as the test plane for their 2.4 GHz parkflyer radio system. Mine came in yellow and had a two piece aluminum shaft for the fuselage. It was the non powered version but they included a GWS brushless motor and GWS 35 Amp controller. They also sent scale wheels and a GWS Lipo charger with connectors for both two and three cell battery packs. It came with jumper wires to connect to my car battery, and they also sent a wall adaptor unit so I could charge the 3-cell 1050mAp battery pack at home. Additionally, they included a pack of propellers for the plane. I had to ream out the center hole in the propeller for it to fit the motor shaft with a drill bit. The plane was initially assembled (incorrectly) in one afternoon as I just glanced at the instruction manual while I intently watched March Madness college basketball. My mistake was I positioned the battery pack holders under the wing which is the location when using a NiMH battery pack as I had in the past. With the lighter Lipoly pack the battery pack and ESC are mounted in front of the wing. I was able to balance the Slow Stick and flew it with the rear most recommended C/G position by moving the wing forward and adding some weight by the motor. The plane flew much better when I properly positioned the battery pack and was able to remove the weight.

There were some obvious improvements over my original Slow Stick, chief among these was the clear wing joiner that I glued into the middle section of the wing to get the proper dihedral. This worked great, and my wing came out very balanced from side to side. The center section was also stiffer than the original piece and protected the wing better from the rubber bands that hold the wing to the fuselage. The battery holder was designed for a more narrow battery then the Lipoly pack supplied but since rubber bands secured the battery in place that was easily adjusted for with the rubber bands.

The plastic parts slide on the metal fuselage of the Slow Stick and need to be secured into position to prevent that from happening in flight. I used some plastic tape in front and behind the parts while seeking the final positions for the parts for proper C/G balance. The tape strips were easy for me to install and move as necessary. When the final positions for the plastic parts were located; I drilled a 1/16 hole throught each plastic part and the metal fuselage and secured the parts in place with a single servo mounting screw per part. So far I have left the tape in place as decorations to the fuselage of my Slow Stick.

I initially put the battery mount under the wing which was/is the location when using a heavier NiMH battery pack. The proper location for the Lipoly pack was/is in front of the wing. Pictures showing the Lipoly pack in both positions can be found in this review. Before and after photos as it were. That is the rest of the story. Range testing was done with the receiver in both locations although most testing was done with the receiver by itself under the wing and in those case of duplicative testing the results remained the same.

Receiver Setup on Slow Stick

The Slow Stick is only a three channel plane with rudder, elevator and throttle. I used the aileron plug on the receiver for the rudder, and this gives me rudder and elevator on my right stick and throttle only on my left stick. When there are no ailerons I prefer to have my rudder on the right stick as that is how I learned to fly starting with two channel gliders.

GWS Charger

The charger came with connectors to use it with a 12-volt car battery. Mine also came with a separate power adaptor so that I could use the charger in my home. The charger appears to have the capability for balance charging looking at the connector plugs for the wires that go to the battery pack. The wires for connecting to the battery pack are multiple wires with three wires for the two cell pack and four wires for the three cell pack at the charger. However, both reduce to two wires connected to a female JST connector which was used to actually connect to the supplied battery pack. This functioned fine during the review but I hope they add balance charging connectors to their battery packs in the future.

Transmitter Performance

Servo Reversing

Servo reversing is available through a series of numbered switches on the front of the transmitter. If you give the command/commands for right turn and find the ailerons and or rudder moving in the wrong direction the individual servo can be reversed with the flick of the proper switch on the transmitter. This cannot be done accidentally as the switches are not within reach with a finger. Rather a tool like a small screw driver is necessary to reach the switches. All four channels can be reversed as needed with a normal and reverse position for each switch.

Trim Tabs

The adjustment trim tabs are recessed on the front of the transmitter which protects them from being accidentally bumped or moved. It only makes them slightly more difficult to adjust when adjustment is necessary. I have worked with the same trim tabs on their flight simulator controller and have grown used to them. The amount of trim adjustment is limited when compared to a computerized transmitter but they did the job as both Dick and I set up our planes to be mechanically correct and only needed a minimum amount of trim adjustment. Dick advised me he had a little trouble at first adjusting his trim tabs because they were recessed and had no raised marker to show the center position just a painted white marker. With a little practice they do the job.

Training Function

The GWS transmitter can be used with a second GWS transmitter and a connector cable. Connect the two together with the proper GWS cable and turn one on and it becomes the master controller and the one not powered up is the slave controller. The master controller has control unless the trainer switch on the master is held in position to give the slave controller priority. For this to work the slave transmitter must have its servo control switches in the same position as the master controller. Always be certain that they are set identically, that all the control surfaces are in the correct directions and that the control surfaces remain in the same position when going from Master to slave controller.

Main Control Sticks

I would best describe the gimbals and feel of the control sticks as completely adequate. They are not as precise or as smooth as on my top of the line transmitters from different companies but those transmitters cost more than ten times the cost of this transmitter. The GWS transmitters did proportionally control the movements directed through the receiver. That means the movement of throttle and control surfaces was directly related to the amount of movement of the control sticks on the transmitter. There was no binding or sticking of the control sticks. Their performance was completely adequate in allowing me to control the Slow Stick or Dick to control the Beaver.

The transmitter performed flawlessly with both planes when they were in the air and kept in the spatial limits described below. At no time did either Dick or I experience a glitch while flying the planes in our normal parkflyer range. The response to the commands was excellent as would be expected. It was proportional control on all four channels. The more the sticks were moved the more the control surfaces and or throttle moved. On the Slow Stick the inner most hole on the rudder control arm was ultimately used to increase the amount of right rudder throw which proved important to control on a breezy day. I would recommend using the inner hole on the rudder control arm (Slow Stick only) regardless of what radio system is used. Using the transmitter I sent commands to move the rudder, elevator and throttle all at the same time and the system did so without any unusual delay* or problem in responding to the multiple commands I sent. (*All radio systems have a lag time between moving the stick and the command being sent and received. It was in the normal range per my observations.)

Antenna Positioning

Per the instructions the short antennas are supposed to be straight out from the receiver and that would be 180 degrees apart basically running in a straight line. This was done on the Slow Stick and was well away from any source of electric noise. On the Beaver Dick had the receiver wires out as recommended but he had the receiver and thus the antenna wires close to the ESC.

No Unintended Servo Travel or Movement

With some off brands of radio equipment that I have tested or used in the past I have noticed that the servos would move when the radio was turned on. Others would have some minor servo movement so that the neutral position for control surfaces had to be adjusted to correct for that. I have never had that problem with GWS radio systems and didn't have any such problems with this new radio system from GWS. I tested this system by turning the transmitter and receiver on and off fifty times in bench top testing as well as all the times the system was activated to test other items or for flying. I had no unintended servo travel in testing this radio gear.

Radio Range

I knew from the GWS Forum in E-Zone that this new GWS radio system is a limited range system intended for Parkflyers only. A full range 2.4 GHz radio system is coming from GWS in the future. With the limited range in mind I looked over the box the radio system came in for any mention of the radio's range to inform the buyer what the radio's recommended range was and thereby limit how far away a plane could be flown from the transmitter. I found no specific mention of range or limited range on the box. I next checked the instruction manual that came in Chinese and English. I found no specific reference to the range of the system in English. I did find under item 9 "Precautions" the following: "2. The T-4GP system is designed for micro electric-powered aircraft only, it is imperative that the system not be used in larger aircraft that could exceed the range."

In the instruction manual they refer to a "MICRO" electric powered aircraft. For me that brought to mind indoor and very small electric planes. Micro electric are not flown very far away as they get to small to orient at much distance.

Mr Lin's posting in the GWS Forum

Per Mr. Lin:

• With the plane on the ground the radio should still be controlling the plane at 200 feet.
  • With the plane 1/2 foot in the air the radio should still be controlling at 300 feet.
  • With the plane 5-6 feet off the ground the radio should still be controlling at 500 feet.
  • With the plane up in the air the range should be 1,000 feet.

Range Testing with the Slow Stick

Before seeing Mr. Lin's posting I concluded that the only way to perform a range check would be to actually physically test the full range. I tested initially for the range near the ground at chest height with the receiver and transmitter as well as with the Slow Stick flying. After reading the posting I tested with my Slow Stick on the ground and a 1/2 foot off the ground.

I have tested the range with my Slow Stick at three separate locations and at all three locations it passed the first three distance tests described above. On the third test of holding the plane chest high with my friends using the transmitter at chest height. The radio system had control of my Slow Stick at 750 feet at all three locations. It failed at two locations with at least momentary glitches at 800 feet and passed at that distance in my ground testing at one location. I didn't test on the ground beyond 800 feet.

Next in my flying tests I have flown it repeatedly at 330-450 feet away over the ground and up to 500 feet up. At all times I had full control of the Slow Stick in that range. I flew it at that range multiple times in circles at a large ball park, our clubs flying field and a local park. I experienced no glitches in that range and that was as far away from me as I would fly a little park flyer in normal operation. I also did several test flights on a measured course of 650 feet. I stood at one end of the course and flew the Slow Stick at approximately 200 feet above the ground over the course and the radio system passed those tests with no glitches. That completed my initial testing of the radio system.

Further Testing the Range of the Slow Stick

I decided to test the maximum range I would fly with a Slow Stick and I had no range problems flying up to 500 feet out and up to as high as I could dare take and see the Slow Stick. Taking it out beyond 700 feet away and climbing I would experience a glitch at altitude that would stop the motor and I could see the Slow Stick's nose drop. I would command it into a turn back towards me and the plane always responded within a second or two. Testing further and risking the plane I flew up to about 200 feet altitude; I then flew it away from myself until the motor stopped and the plane's nose dropped. I was always able to regain control and turn it back towards me and get the motor to resume operation. On only one such test did the motor shut down for a second time and then came back on and flew back to me. That was my only double glitch in testing and it was range related. These glitches were occurring beyond 750 feet away and most were beyond 850 feet away but I was not able to precisely measure the distances more fully than that. Despite running twelve such additional tests I never experienced more than a momentary glitch at the range end and was always able to recover. My testing showed that initial loss of range was first momentary and not complete, allowing for recovery and turning back when the range was first exceeded with a relatively slow flying parkflyer like the Slow Stick.

The GWS Beaver, Our Second Test Plane

GWS initially sent only one radio system and the Slow Stick. If that had been all they sent the review would basically have been over at this point. However, they sent a second radio system that appeared identical to the first along with a GWS Beaver to use in testing it. The GWS Beaver supplied for testing was assembled and flown by my friend Dick Andersen. Dick and I got together to test the Beaver. I have a special fondness for the GWS Beaver as it was the first plane I reviewed for RC Groups. I also used my original Beaver for reviewing first floats and then the Curtis lighting system. My original Beaver is now being used by a friend and his son as their first RC plane. That original plane has flown well for years with its original radio equipment, ESC and eventually a second brushed motor. Dick assembled and flew the supplied Beaver for the testing while I observed. The radio and the Beaver passed every test on basic control and was mirroring the results I got with the Slow Stick. Flying close and keeping the plane within about 350-450 feet of himself. Dick had control of the Beaver and the Beaver flew very nicely as shown in the first part of the video below. Dick had the two antennas sticking out from the sides of the receiver per the instructions. Later during the flight I recommended Dick fly it down out over the levee which when measured was actually a bit over 700 feet away. This was further away then Dick would normally fly the Beaver. As he passed over the levee Dick experienced a momentary loss of throttle and steering. Actually at about 700+ feet out and 150 feet above the field. When the plane changed position by dropping slightly Dick found the receiver had regained the signal and he had control and was able to fly the plane back to where we were without further problems on that flight. On a later flight Dick had another short glitch just over 500 feet out and over 200 feet up and regained control once again just moments later. Here is a picture of how the receiver and its antennas were positioned at the time of those flights. It was perhaps a little close to the ESC but I didn't know if that had any affect on the range. My need to go to work prevented further testing at that time.

Further Testing the Beaver's Radio's Range

As a result of Dick's glitch experiences we did further testing with his plane and the range of the radio. Before performing additional flight testing with the Beaver, Dick secured the receiver away from the ESC and kept the antennas 180 degrees from each other as recommended in the instructions. Ground range tests of the Beaver were performed. It passed the two hundred foot test on the ground and the three hundred foot test just above the ground. It also passed the 500 foot range check at chest level. But 500 feet was pretty much it at chest level. It didn't show as much range at chest level as the original receiver/transmitter in my Slow Stick had shown in the chest high range check. Again I had no range problems flying up to 450 feet out and up to as high as 300 feet. Taking it out beyond 450 feet away and climbing we would experience an occasional glitch at altitude that would stop the motor and I could see the Beaver's nose drop. We would command it into a turn back towards us and the plane usually responded within a second or two. However on one such test we lost signal and did not regain it. Fortunately, the plane had only minor damage. For further testing further I moved the receiver from the Beaver to my Slow Stick. It stayed bonded to the transmitter that Dick had been using with the Beaver and I used that transmitter now with my Slow Stick. I flew it for several flights and kept it within 350-400 feet out and up to 300 feet high without a problem.

I next flew it out at a range of about 500/550 feet and I would experience occasional short glitches. This was a shorter range than the first radio tested. Repeated flights within 450 feet there were no glitches. Flying at 200 feet altitude and away from myself I hit a major glitch at 650 feet out horizontally which lasted several seconds. I fell about 150 feet before recovering at 50 feet above the ground.

Mike's Recommended Initial Range Limit

Based on my testing (admittedly using only the two GWS radios) I am very confident in recommending using the radio with any small aircraft you wish to fly up to about a football field for a range of 450 feet and up to a height of 250 feet. I didn't have any glitches in that range and should one occur I believe that it would only be momentary at most. That corresponds pretty well with both Dick's and my comfort zones in flying our little parkflyers. That range limit is not a problem for either of us. My recommendation is subject to change if readers post that they are getting different results than what we experienced in our testing. Again, I have had zero glitches in that range and when I have had glitches at a greater distance they have been momentary except for two thus far. I have intentionally left in a safety margin of additional range per my testing because I don't recommend flying at the edge of the radio's range. Admittedly, I always turned for home if not already heading back to myself after the first glitch occurred. I strongly advise that all pilots do at least one of the first three range checks before flying a plane with this radio system.

Within my normal parkflyer 300 foot out range I had no glitches that I observed climbing up to higher altitudes. A Slow Stick gets small pretty quickly to my eyes. My best estimate is that I was about 600 feet high at my maximum climbs. If I pilot wants to test the plane's range beyond 500 feet lateral distance I recommend the pilot do it in a safe place and fly away at an angle so that if a glitch is experienced it is a short turn back towards the landing zone.

Because of the limited range I will be using the radio with indoor flyers where the range will not be a concern at my indoor venues and small park flyers that I keep close to me anyway such as the Slow Stick and Beaver used in this review. I have spent extensive time discussing the range testing and what Dick and I experienced as I try to be safety conscious and I know people will be testing the range. Again I had no glitches at all in my normal parkflyer range of about 450 feet away laterally. The first transmitter stayed in range for several hundred feet beyond that but the second radio's range was only 50-100 feet more than that before momentary glitches were experienced

Is This For a Beginner?

If the Beginner is going to fly a small electric plane needing only three to four channels there is no reason not to use the new GWS radio PROVIDED the pilot plans to keep the plane within the range I described above. The radio system should not be used with a large plane or glider as the distance flown away from the pilot might fly out of the control range for the transmitter. As pointed out in the instructions this radio system is designed only for small electric planes.

Flight Video/Photo Gallery

Downloads

Conclusion

For use with a small parkflyer or indoor airplane this radio system makes the 2.4GHz frequency available to just about everyone. At $15.00 a receiver and $42.00 for the transmitter and receiver most people can afford this system. If using one transmitter with multiple planes I would recommend using a small notebook to keep track of the proper location for the servo switches and the approximate placement of the trim tab controls if different from the neutral setting. I found the controller comfortable to hold and use. The recessed trim tabs require a little practice to get used to using and I recommend actually making some pretend flight adjustments as practice for the real thing. I have only flown with a limited number of other planes on other 2.4 GHz systems but had no frequency problems with up to 10 other 2.4 GHz radios on at the same time and in fairly close quarters. Dick and I had our GWS radios on together and they did not conflict with one another during our testing.

This radio system should work well with an indoor flyer with only four channels or less or a parkflyer that you keep fairly close as described above. Do not use this radio with a large plane as most of us fly larger planes at a range greater than this system was designed to handle. GWS is working on a full range 2.4 GHz radio system and look for information on it in the future in the GWS Forum.

I do not plan to do further testing of the radio systemís range either on purpose or by accident. I will be staying in the air space that I have recommended in this review. Anyone testing the limits of the radio's range should do it in a safe location and a safe manner.

Pluses

• 4 channel 2.4 GHz radio system
  • Very reasonable price of $42.00 for transmitter and receiver
  • Receiver only $15.00 by itself
  • Great for indoor flyers and small parkflyers
  • Has servo reversing
  • Can be a master or slave controller with a second GWS transmitter and cable
  • Comes in choice of colors

Minuses

• Range is limited. However, I feel completely secure to 450 feet out and 2500 feet up
  • No model memory, can only be set for one plane at a time
Last edited by Michael Heer; May 25, 2010 at 12:42 PM..
May 26, 2010, 08:03 AM
Nice review. Looks like a viable system for a small cheap plane that you plan to throw around and don't want the expense of the higher end radio systems. All they need now is an end connector receiver for a better fit in small aircraft. I've got one of the Gravity warbird reissues of the old Cox fighters. $42.00 for a transmitter and reciever as oppossed to $49.00 for a Spectrum reciever looks pretty good. Like you say, how far away would you fly a 20" wingspan plane?

By the by, the GWS links don't work, and you have a typo in your "minus" writeup:

"Minuses

Range is limited. However, I feel completely secure to 450 feet out and 2500 feet up
No model memory, can only be set for one plane at a time"
Last edited by Pete Miller; May 26, 2010 at 08:09 AM.
May 26, 2010, 08:57 AM
Stuart
I have bought a couple of these, direct import into the UK.

I knew it has limited range, and for what I wanted its does OK. I have it fitted in one of my gambler DLGs and a Weasel Sloper. The range is fine for both.

Apart from the fact that its really small and light, the think I like is the battery life of the TX, should be 30 hours or so from 4 x AA Alkalines.

I did some range testing over the local park, this is the report I posted eleswhere;

"I had a chnace to do some in air range tests today. I mounted the GWS RX in a 1.5M park Electric glider I have. The GWS RX was just connected to my gizmo and power. The plane was controlled by its normal 35Mhz RC system.

The Gizmo gives feedback through the 70cms handheld. It measures RC pulses, too short (<.75ms), too long (>2.5ms), stuck low (>50ms) and stuck high (>50ms). Whilst in flight I would be able to tell if the GWS RX went into failsafe mode and thus set the throttle low.

I flew a local park, the open area is 180m x 280m.

I flew the electric glider as far away and as high as I felt safe with, probably 200M away and about the same hieght. The GWS RX stayed locked at all times, it did not go into failsafe mode. The range was more than adequate for flying at this park. I tried a landing at a distance of about 100M, the RX appeared to go out of lock about 2M up, but the plane glided to a smooth landing.

One thing that surprised me was that in flight I did get the odd servo pulse glitch (<0.75ms) and a couple of stuck lows (no pulse for 50ms). if the processor in the RX is pushing out a continuous stream of pulses, and only sending valid ones (1-2ms and every 20ms or so). I am not sure why there would be gaps."
May 26, 2010, 09:55 AM
Lori, hey, you're home early
Welcome back GWS.
May 26, 2010, 09:56 AM
Thanks for a very comprehensive review. I've seen these on the shelf at my local RC store but had not data on them until now. I'm looking for transmitter/reciever for a Flatouts 4 channel foamy. This might be just the ticket. Any idea when the full range GWS transmitter will be out?
May 26, 2010, 10:06 AM
sorry if I missed it but

are there are no mixes built into the tx - delta or v-tail? and no memory - hummm...

how much does the rx weigh - is this only for parkflyers and not 11 - 20gram 1s range planes?
May 26, 2010, 10:41 AM
That should be 250 feet up in the last sentence. I had no trouble up to 500-600 feet that I tested but I wanted to leave in a safety margin.
It is not a computerized transmitter; no mixes and no model memory but can be bound to up to six receivers at one time.
May 26, 2010, 10:58 AM
The receiver per my scale weighes 0.1 ounce.

Link to GWS: http://www.gwsus.com/english/english.htm
May 26, 2010, 11:38 AM
Stuart
RXs are about 3.6g.
May 26, 2010, 12:15 PM
I wonder if this radio could be used with any of the rc sims using the adaptor cord? I travel alot and this would be the perfect size to pack in a suit case.
May 26, 2010, 01:44 PM
For planes like the GWS Tigermoth/Beaver/Picostick F/Slowstick this is a great idea Welcome to Back is Right GWS!
Last edited by tallflyer; May 26, 2010 at 01:51 PM.
May 26, 2010, 02:59 PM
Stuart
Quote:
Originally Posted by pylot2b
I wonder if this radio could be used with any of the rc sims using the adaptor cord? I travel alot and this would be the perfect size to pack in a suit case.
Yep mine worked just fine, I used ppjoy and connected it to the sound card mic input. Any SIM that accepts a standard PC joystick will then work.

When I made up the lead, I did add a 100n capacitor in series with the PPM output, it worked better that way.

If you want it to pack down even smaller, remove the antenna and fit a RSMA plug in its place. Then you can use a standard wi-fi antenna (removeable) in its place.
May 26, 2010, 07:54 PM
You can get this radio at Stevens AeroModel:

http://www.stevensaero.com/GWS-4-Ch-...A-p-20408.html

Jim R.
May 26, 2010, 08:26 PM
great idea!
May 26, 2010, 11:58 PM
Stuart
And it worked fine with Aerofly Pro and FMS Simulators, using my home made lead.