Jul 08, 2009, 03:14 AM
plane obsessed
Thread OP
Discussion

Rocky Mountain 3D Throwdown

Rocky Mountain 3D Throwdown

Arvada Associated Modelers presents our inaugural Rocky Mountain 3D Throwdown.

Saturday, August 22nd, 2009
Pilots meeting at 8:30 AM with open flying 9AM-dark. With a tentative noon demo featuring AEROWORKS sponsored pilots.

This is a Fun Fly open to ALL 3D aerobatic enthusiasts. Bring you electric, gasoline, and glow powered 3D machines. Heli's are welcome too!! Open flight line with your spotter.

From Foamies to 40%+gassers, EVERYONE is welcome!! If you can Huck it, BRING IT!!

Open invitation to all pilots with an AMA card. $20 pilot registration fee covers lunch and refreshments. Picnic style food includes hot dogs, brats, burgers, chips, and drinks.

Pre-registration is encouraged so we have a head count for food and drinks. Please RSVP by August 15th 2009 if possible. Late arrivals ARE welcome on the 22nd!! RSVP chrisharris2266@yahoo.com Website: www.arvadamodelers.com for up to the minute weather, live web cam, and directions to the field.

750'X50' concrete runway with six pilot stations, a huge pit area with 30+ benches, generous concrete pad for giant scale planes with overflow in the grass and dedicated heli pads.
AAM has 50+ acres of on site parking and car camping is encouraged!! No services provided, but we do have clean Port-o-lets, permanent 30'X50' shade structures, bleachers, and a solar charging station on site. AAM is a world class facility that is proud to carry the AMA Gold Leader Status for 10 years.

Come out and camp Friday night!! Bring your bug spray and sun screen. Be prepared for a full day of hucking on Saturday!

3D fun fly, Extreme Aerobatics, with Down and Dirty 3D ON THE DECK!!

Everyone is welcome to attend! If you want to learn 3D come out and see the show!

Harriers, Blenders, Rollers, Hovering, Walls, Flat Spins, Knife Edge Spins, high alpha Knife edge, Waterfalls, and Torque Rolls are encouraged!

Due to possible radio interference from nearby broadcasting stations72mhz channels 20 and 21 are not recommended. Also avoid using any SINGLE CONVERSION JR RX
to remove ads between posts
Jul 08, 2009, 11:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody WIlson
---- Also avoid using any SINGLE CONVERSION JR RX [/COLOR]
Most of my stuff is on Jr 790's. Why so hostile to JR.
Jul 09, 2009, 01:18 AM
Quote:
Most of my stuff is on Jr 790's. Why so hostile to JR.
Not hostile. Not at all. Just being honest with you. We don't want to see you come out and crash a bunch of airplanes.

JR single conversion RX's don't work at this field. We don't know why. Trust me when I tell you we did EXTENSIVE testing with borrowed equipment from AMA headquarters. Even had AMA reps at our site. There's been thousands upon tens of thousands of dollars worth of airplanes crashed at this field with JR single conversion RX's. It's a mystery. Black voodoo. We don't know why.

If you have any other brand (Futaba, Hitec, Airtronics, Multiplex) you are totally fine. All those radios and RX's work great, as you would expect. But for some reason JR single conversion (ABC&W) RX's get shot down left and right.

You ABSOLUTELY CAN use any JR dual conversion RX. For example, the R2000 dual conversion units work perfectly.

I fly a JR radio with Hitec RX's and have no problems. So does Cody. He's flying a 100cc plane with a JR TX and Hitec RX. No problems. It's not that we have some axe to grind. We LOVE JR radios. Many people in the club fly them. But the single conversion JR RX's don't work. Guaranteed to crash -- don't risk it.

Hope that clears it up.
Last edited by ChrisHProBro; Jul 09, 2009 at 01:24 AM.
Jul 09, 2009, 02:30 PM
I just asked because I fly the 790's and 770 at the Arvada field. And many other fields with no problem.
Jul 10, 2009, 12:39 AM
plane obsessed
Thread OP
We are just spooked-and I'm glad that your setup is working so well. I personally pulled a 8 Ch JR SPCM single conversion out of a used Compy and decided to test it in a Sky Raider before flying it in the $$$ plane. First flight resulted in complete lockout and a smoking hole. I wouldn't risk it.

Like Chris said- we are not hostile to JR single conversion RX's, but they can be VERY hostile to your airframe.

So Roto- you coming out? Got skillz?
Jul 10, 2009, 04:55 PM
I'll try to make it. I have a hard time scheduling anything nowdays.
Skillz, I don't know, vary between good to average, I get rusty not flying as much as I would like.
Jul 11, 2009, 02:00 PM
piro-maniac........
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto Rob
I'll try to make it. I have a hard time scheduling anything nowdays.
Skillz, I don't know, vary between good to average, I get rusty not flying as much as I would like.

I seem to remember you winning the "fusion pack/blade 400 thread 3D pilot shootout." Good to average.....sounds modest to me.
Jul 11, 2009, 03:36 PM
That was with the Blade when I was flying often. I sold it. Now that I'm back to once a month flying, I take half the day just getting relaxed.
P.S. the Fusion pack really did fly as good as my Flightpower.
Jul 13, 2009, 09:26 PM
plane obsessed
Thread OP
Just 'cause you're rusty don't mean you cain't 3D!

Check the new flyer!
Jul 14, 2009, 06:44 PM
piro-maniac........
Quote:
That was with the Blade when I was flying often. I sold it. Now that I'm back to once a month flying, I take half the day just getting relaxed.
P.S. the Fusion pack really did fly as good as my Flightpower.
Ya...those were the good 'ol days. I think both of us logged WAY more hours last year.

I have two of the Fusion packs. 1800 and a 2200 both 25C. Good batts for sure......maybe just a weeeee bit steep in the price department....but still reasonable.
Jul 16, 2009, 01:14 PM
Rocket Programmer
Quote:
I just asked because I fly the 790's and 770 at the Arvada field. And many other fields with no problem.
You are flying at the West field... don't try that at the other end! Problem seems to be isolated to the East field - East side of the East field, even. It is my belief that it had something to do with TV transmissions, and now that things have gone digital, it may be time to test this issue again. So get a cheap foamie and fly it through the Bermuda Triangle if you want, but I wouldn't risk it with a helicopter or anything.
Jul 16, 2009, 04:46 PM
I went to get one of them cheap foamy things and edded up with a Fliton Mini Extra 330
Last edited by Roto Rob; Jul 17, 2009 at 02:53 AM.
Jul 16, 2009, 05:10 PM
Rocket Programmer
I'm done with foamies myself, except the Bee and the Seawind. They just don't seem to fly as good - great for beginners though.
Jul 16, 2009, 07:59 PM
I like my foam Sniper, and I would like to get the Yak that developed from the same design. Here is Zak flying it. He has unbelievable skill. I get to see him fly now and then when I'm in California.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...4#post10342294
Jul 20, 2009, 01:27 PM
plane obsessed
Thread OP
Nothing wrong with some foam! I'd rather try my hand at a new maneuver with something that has the equivalent value of a propeller on my big stuff! Watch out for the wing tube on that Fliton- I hear they have a tendency to break... a buddy HAD one...

Quick Reply