Thread Tools
Jul 07, 2009, 09:57 PM
AMA 73386
jzanutto's Avatar
Build Log

New Approach Engineering AH-1F Cobra kit


Approach engineering has finally released it's BIG cobra kit. Available from Starwood Scale Models. I've been waiting for this one for a couple of years. I just ordered it, I dont have any pictures of it but will post them as soon as it arrives. I'll try to do a good detailed build log with lots of pics.

Although the kit is marketed as 60-90, Dr. Tim assures me that 50 mechanics will fly it just fine, so mine is going to be based on a Raptor .50

Cant wait, its my 50th birthday present and also my project for while I'm home with back surgery (another subject entirely)
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jul 07, 2009, 10:30 PM
2013 GRAND SPORT CORVETTE
Hoverup's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzanutto
Approach engineering has finally released it's BIG cobra kit. Available from Starwood Scale Models. I've been waiting for this one for a couple of years. I just ordered it, I dont have any pictures of it but will post them as soon as it arrives. I'll try to do a good detailed build log with lots of pics.

Although the kit is marketed as 60-90, Dr. Tim assures me that 50 mechanics will fly it just fine, so mine is going to be based on a Raptor .50

Cant wait, its my 50th birthday present and also my project for while I'm home with back surgery (another subject entirely)

You will enjoy the build. This re-release of James Linder's big Cobra brings his first kit offering back to life. Dr. Tim Dawson has completely reworked the original kit with many improvements and I know it's going to be a winner and a big seller.

Thanks again Dr. Tim for all the effort and continued success for Approach Engineering kits. Can't wait for the Whiskey Cobra.

Cheers - Boyd.
Jul 07, 2009, 11:45 PM
AMA 73386
jzanutto's Avatar
this is tim's build up to primer

I got to see James' original 60 cobra a couple of years ago. Was sorry to learn of his passing
Jul 08, 2009, 04:12 PM
Registered User

Proud Owner of the First Production Model


I'm putting my Raptor 50 (electric conversion) in it..

We'll have to share building techniques...

Grant
Jul 08, 2009, 05:53 PM
AMA 73386
jzanutto's Avatar
cool deal Grant. Did you just order yours? There is a guy at my work who was a Cobra mech back in his army days. He is going to help me with the panel lines and detail once I get that far.

what are you going to paint with?
Jul 08, 2009, 07:46 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzanutto
cool deal Grant. Did you just order yours? There is a guy at my work who was a Cobra mech back in his army days. He is going to help me with the panel lines and detail once I get that far.

what are you going to paint with?
I have a guy in our club that used to fly Cobras and I'll be picking his brain.. Haven't even thought about paint yet.. Your build will be far ahead of mine as I'm building a Huey for my flying Bud and I've got to get that finished first..
Last edited by GrantL; Jul 08, 2009 at 07:57 PM.
Jul 08, 2009, 10:18 PM
Bush Pilots Bounce Higher
Spidious's Avatar
I got to see this in person at the Champaign fly in. Was way to big to fly inside the building. But talk about detailed !
Jul 08, 2009, 11:24 PM
AMA 73386
jzanutto's Avatar
wow, I only hope my cobra comes out just half way as nice as that apache did!
Jul 09, 2009, 06:34 PM
AMA 73386
jzanutto's Avatar
Heres what was on my doorstep today from UPS. I guess I was expecting a refridgerator box... everything is nicely packed and organized. The smaller box is the tail drive adapter unit. Full size plans, nice construction book, well packaged. So I dont think I'll get started tonight, dont have my building space back yet. My wife has been working on her master's degree in art and my building space is now a studio.
Jul 09, 2009, 07:29 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidious
I got to see this in person at the Champaign fly in. Was way to big to fly inside the building. But talk about detailed !
Very very very nice photos!! I show those photos to one of my flying buddies who are interested in getting it.

BTW, the 1st and 2nd picture, they install the blades in the wrong direction.

SH
Jul 09, 2009, 08:47 PM
Lifetime Member
JohnM's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzanutto
Heres what was on my doorstep today from UPS. I guess I was expecting a refridgerator box... everything is nicely packed and organized. The smaller box is the tail drive adapter unit. Full size plans, nice construction book, well packaged. So I dont think I'll get started tonight, dont have my building space back yet. My wife has been working on her master's degree in art and my building space is now a studio.
Wow, now that is what I would call a builders kit! Reminds me of one of them balsa airplane kits

John
Jul 10, 2009, 06:31 PM
walkera (ab)user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Hornet

BTW, the 1st and 2nd picture, they install the blades in the wrong direction.

SH
mebee just proof of concept, ie: just get her airborne in "conventional trim"
then sort it out for the rivet counters later?
Jul 10, 2009, 09:03 PM
2013 GRAND SPORT CORVETTE
Hoverup's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal
mebee just proof of concept, ie: just get her airborne in "conventional trim"
then sort it out for the rivet counters later?
There was a time that Indy Heli used display blades that showed a CCW rotation, but when it was time to fly off came the display blades and on went the flight blades which spun in a non-scale CW direction. I have two of these big boys and the one in flight trim is set for CCW as in the full size Apache.
Jul 11, 2009, 11:07 AM
Will work for heli's
Dogwoodtheone's Avatar
looking forward to seeing your build
Jul 11, 2009, 11:45 AM
Bush Pilots Bounce Higher
Spidious's Avatar
Gee

I wish I had driven past your house and seen that sitting out there all by itself !



Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wanted Mini Titan AH-1W Cobra Conversion Kit Jcopter Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 5 Oct 05, 2008 07:52 PM
Discussion Approach Engineering AH-64A Apache Swift/Logo 10 size kit Hoverup Scale Helicopters 28 Sep 24, 2007 10:33 AM
Discussion Approach Engineering .30 size Cobra DBlum Scale Helicopters 25 Jul 06, 2007 11:16 AM
For Sale Scale AH-1 Cobra kit for Swift or Logo 10 a2zprod Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 4 Apr 06, 2007 06:55 PM
New 40" Electric 3 Channel kit with radio transmitter incl. $145 Darin Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 4 Apr 02, 2002 01:57 PM