Apr 05, 2003, 10:25 AM
Live to ride... and fly!

The Wasp- my first video!!

Yes it's true, the Great Winds of '03 finally let up and I was able to get my wife to shoot some video yesterday. First subject is the 010 powered Wasp. There are 2 movies, you can view/download them off of David's site:

http://www.cl-i-max.com/

A few notes:

- I forgot to turn off the date stamp on the camcorder.

- Connie had a lot of trouble tracking the plane with the camcorder. As a result, she captured "linear" flying OK, but she lost the plane in most of the inside and outside loops, and moves involving partial or full loops. This is why you see lots of rolls in the movies, but not as many loops. Movie #2 does have some decent loops about 1 minute in. 2 inside loops followed by 2 outside loops in sequence.

- The flights are at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. This is typically how it will fly for a full 15 minutes on the 3x600 HO Kokam packs.

Hope you guys like it. There will be more video of my other planes to follow!
to remove ads between posts
Apr 05, 2003, 11:03 AM
Leave me alone!
That's great, Tres! She looks like a really smooth flyer. That roll rate is just my style.

Other than the plane... what a backyard! No trees or anything! You'd have no problem with most anything there except for your hacker powered Switchback. Do yourself a favor and get a Miniflash or Hangover

Martin
Apr 05, 2003, 11:10 AM
Tee Sqaured
Is it just me, or is the roll rate STUPIDLY fast?

LOL, that looks great Tres! nise flying little plane, is this with the 010 brushless?

Thomas
Apr 05, 2003, 11:17 AM
Just an average RC'er
From the Video "Astro Flight 010".

Tres: I envy your back yard! Did you buy the house so you could fly airplanes there???!!

Man that thing files a lot differently than I expected. The roll rate is unreal! For a high winger that is really really impressive.

-Jim
Apr 05, 2003, 11:48 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
==Other than the plane... what a backyard! No trees or anything!==

LOL! Thanks Martin! I know you were curious about the backyard, now you know! You should have seen it before the neighbors put fences up, it looked even bigger. Usually I have a nice grass carpet to land on, but being so early in the year it's weedy right now.

==or is the roll rate STUPIDLY fast?==

Haha! It's pretty quick. Believe it or not, the Double Trouble rolls faster than that! I'll hopefully get some video of that this weekend. I put the Wasp into 2 cool looking dives, it rolls so fast in a dive that it's a blur. Unfortunately Connie missed both of them. She had trouble tracking it when it was moving fast. She also missed the vertical rolls too, I really wanted to get those on there because it's so cool looking! We both learned that taping an aerobatic plane can be a challenge!

==is this with the 010 brushless?==

Sorry, I should have posted the specs as it's hard to read on the video. Here's the setup:

- 26" w.s. Wasp from Dave at http://www.cl-i-max.com/
- Astroflight 010 w/ GWS 3.22:1 gearbox/ 8x6 prop from Perry at http://aeromicro.com/
- 3x600 HO Kokam pack from Troy at http://www.b-p-p.com/

==I envy your back yard! Did you buy the house so you could fly airplanes there???!! ==

Thanks Jim! As a matter of fact, we moved in 5 years ago during my R/C hiatus. I flew every 6 months or so, but I had bigger planes back then and couldn't fly them in the backyard. When I "discovered" the smaller planes, I was thankful that we hadn't put any trees in the backyard yet But the backyard has really freed up my flying schedule, it's great just to step outside anytime the weather permits and fly. Even at night! I've flown a lot more in the last year than in the 12 years total before that!
Last edited by Tres Wright; Apr 05, 2003 at 11:50 AM.
Apr 05, 2003, 12:18 PM
Been There! Done That!
Tres,
My wife agrees with your wife about how hard it is to track a fast plane with abrupt flight directional changes! A few choice words have been uttered by mine on several occasions! I think she did great given your (and my) flying style!
boomer
(corrected typo)
Last edited by boomerace; Apr 05, 2003 at 02:31 PM.
Apr 05, 2003, 12:50 PM
Very nice Tres!

I may have to get one of those to have something other than my Tinys to mount a AF 010 in. The video and flying were very nice...I especially liked the swinging sound effects in the background. I can relate to that sound, although mine are usually screaming at about the time I'm flying inverted close to the ground.

-Ted
Apr 05, 2003, 06:45 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
==A few choice words have been uttered by mine on several occasions!==

LOL! I made those movies out of around 10 minutes worth of video, much of it of the camera moving across an empty sky with my voice in the background saying "did you find it yet? Now? Now?" Actually even in the movie clips that "made the cut" you can hear us talking back and forth about whether she still has it or not. I was going to cut the audio out completely, but I left it in for fun!

==I may have to get one of those to have something other than my Tinys to mount a AF 010 in==

I have been very impressed with the Wasp on this setup. I don't know if you can tell in the movie, but it flies a lot faster than the X, probably due to the difference in gearing and prop size. The X and Wasp fly quite differently, they complement each other nicely.

== The video and flying were very nice==

Thank you! Hopefully we'll both improve and the next movies will be better.

==I especially liked the swinging sound effects in the background==

Definitely enhances the "backyard" feel One of the best ways to get the kids outside to play is to go out there and fly something. They don't particularly care about planes, but I think they feel like they're missing something Casual backyard flying is such a blast, I'm usually just the way I am in that video- barefoot and in shorts and a t-shirt.
Apr 05, 2003, 08:13 PM
Tres,

I will say that as the kids get older, their interest will increase. My oldest daughter (7 years) flew my Tiny-X tonight in the backyard. Of course, it was pretty high and she put it into a death-spiral, but regardless, she showed interest.

I did notice that my lighter Tiny flew noticeably faster than the other one. I also found that the rudder addition doesn't impress me that much. Yes, there are several manuevers that it's required for, but this plane thrives on lightness. So I'm not sure I'm sold on the addition of a third servo's weight.

I like the looks of the Wasp and for $30! I might have to order one.

-Ted
Apr 05, 2003, 09:40 PM
Crash Master
Hey Tres, Just got back to civilization (been on the beach, stranded with a 14400 baud (at best) dial up connection), and got a chance to check these out.

Yes, it's faster with the 010 (Duh) The roll rate is about what I had for high rates at first. Wild! I've been 'de-tuning' it, to see how mellow I can make it, and still handle a little wind. It's pretty amazing how wide the flight speed envelope is on theis model. I do like it faster than the IPS-A, but it doesn't need much more to start getting fun!

I may just have to try some more power!
Apr 05, 2003, 11:47 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
I came in to log onto the computer and no joke, there was a wasp sitting on top of my monitor! I've never seen one in the house before. I sloooowly reached over to get the camera, I wanted to capture this! But it flew off and I have no idea where it is now. With 3 girls in the house, no doubt I'll wake up to screaming in the night- LOL! So now I'm left wondering how David sent this wasp to my computer and what message he was trying to send me

==I will say that as the kids get older, their interest will increase==

The 6 year old did have a little interest for a while and even flew my Tiger Moth 3 or 4 times once I got it to altitude, but I think she got bored with it. The 9 year old has never been remotely interested. I'm still hoping Logan will follow in Dad's footsteps with the motorcycles, models and planes, but at 4 months he's not showing much interest yet The transmitter keeps falling out of his hands

==the rudder addition doesn't impress me that much==

I can see that, I've got a rudder on my old Tiny and while it does allow certain enhanced maneuvers, it's not worth the extra weight on planes that are as short-coupled as these. They don't hover/prop-hang very well and will not knife-edge at all, it's just not their forte'.

==It's pretty amazing how wide the flight speed envelope is on theis model. ==

Absolutely. It flew a LOT slower on the DX-A, but it was fun in a completely different way. It would slow down to a Tiger Moth crawl, it was fun flying it low and slow dodging trees and circling the yard. The 010 changed all that, it won't slow down like before. It's a blast, but the flight characteristics are completely different. Neat plane. I may order another one and equip it with a DX-A and some lights.
Apr 06, 2003, 12:00 AM
==So now I'm left wondering how David sent this wasp to my computer and what message he was trying to send me ==

Tres,

That's my new Micro RC Wasp for you to beta. Didn't you get my email?...

D
Apr 06, 2003, 03:04 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
==That's my new Micro RC Wasp for you to beta==

Oh. Oops.
Apr 06, 2003, 03:24 AM
....back to the drawing board.....

E-Zone or Twilight Zone? Strange how that Wasp ended up on your computer at this time. If I knew how to type that eerie, scary music I would......

D