This thread is privately moderated by old_dude, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 06, 2009, 01:20 PM
Groundloop World Champion
Thread OP
Discussion

Balsa Turkey (seniorita)

Well, I'm busily working on my SIG Seniorita. This ones a little "different" and has a history..... .

I purchased it from an older gentleman a few years back. It was built as a sorta ARF...mostly in the bones and not covered. The old gentleman must have had declining visual acuity. I had to reset and reglue a number of joints. The flying surfaces were fairly aligned though thank goodness.

This time was before any mention of 2.4Ghz for RC use. I wanted the appearance to somewhat simulate a mid-30s Army Air Force observation type plane. I covered the fuselage with Micafilm "Aluminum" heat shrink. I should have done the wings in yellow or "aluminum" but just love transparent red (obviously ). It was built for glo power and I mounted a HP VT.25 rotary valve 4-cycle on it. Other interests (sailplanes) and circumstances meant it wasn't flown. Last year I sold the VT .25 and removed the glo accessories and 72Mhz receiver.

I started adding the electric power equipment a few months ago. I had acquired an array of Lipos ESCs and Bl motors. The AXI 2814/10 I first mounted would work well for 9" props but I wanted LOTS of thrust. The HACKER A30-12L that it now has turns an 11" prop just fine and efficiently. I'm using a T-Bird 54 ESC and a 3S-3000 (or 3S-2100) lipo. I figure it will make a gentle flying EP for somewhat windy conditions. AUW will be 63 ounces with the 3S-3000. And wing loading will be 11-12 ounces per square foot.

BUT ! , I'm really concerned about the possible impact of the "aluminum" covering since I'll be using 2.4Ghz equipment. The Airtronics 92824 2.4Ghz receiver has two antennas. I extended one vertically out the bottom of the fuse and one extends horizontally along the inside of the windows toward the front of the fuse. I guess (hope) a range check will uncover any reception problems.
Last edited by old_dude; Jul 08, 2009 at 09:32 AM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply