Jul 09, 2019, 05:19 PM
Systems Test Engineer Amateur
Quote:
Originally Posted by I TOBOR
If you look at David McIntire's site you can one of my .30's running.
Do you still have that one?
Last edited by Gary Cee; Jul 09, 2019 at 07:03 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 10, 2019, 05:24 AM
Lets see if this is a good link. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow...aito-1510.html
Jul 10, 2019, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Cee
I have a Magnum and Saito 30. Just installed the Saito in Carolina Custom Kits Bush Hawk. Hope to maiden this weekend.
Jul 10, 2019, 01:04 PM
I've just acquired a used twin. Very clean, turns easily and smoothly. No compression in either cylinder. If I remember correctly from previous posts on this thread, the first place to look is stuck valves. Take off the valve cover, drop in some penetrating oil, and go slowly and gently. if still stuck, heat gun. Does this sound about right?
Jul 10, 2019, 02:26 PM

I've been doin' up a 1.4 meter/54" wingspan Telemaster-clone for my FA-30S...

Dear BernardW & Fellow SAITO Fans at RCG:

The PIPE here again...my own FA-30S has had at least a litre or two of fuel run through it on a static test stand from some 15+ years ago, and its ability to spin a then-available Zinger 10-4 wood prop at just a shade over 9k RPM at full bore ON the stand seems to recommend it well for "smallish" airframes.

In whatever "small stash" of balsa kits I've got, there's just a Hobby Express Telemaster 40 and a Sig Four Star 60, both completely unbuilt and perfect airframes for four-strokers...those are for "future" building, while the bulk of what I will prefer to have for "new airframes" these days and into the future, will nearly ALL be CAD-designed by yours truly on my own home PC.

One thing that's always "disturbed" me about the general philosophy of the Telemaster-series fuselage design, however, was the near "total lack" of TORSIONAL rigidity in the fuselage's rear. After being in the RC hobby since the late 1970s, I've seen a good number of Telemasters in a range of sizes; and with the larger "pair" of them (the 2.4 meter wingspan Senior Telly, and the over-3 meter wingspan "giant" Telly) having such ludicrously "twistable" rear fuselage structures, it was time for a CAD-drafter like myself to whip up some torsional strength in there, with triangular-layout Warren truss pattern bulkheads for the rear fuselage design.

Its main basis for its "appearance" is the classic Helio Courier bushplane:

...and as that aircraft's manufacturer has a name all-too-reminiscent of the first name of a certain VERY nutty Lusophone/English bilingual co-worker at a electronics manufacturing job I worked at from 1986-89...his first name is also, by complete co-incidence, the Portuguese name for the chemical element he MIGHT have been breathing at birth, as that's HOW nutty he always was ...

...with that "Hélio" name's proper pronunciation in Portuguese sounding like "Ell-You" in English (it's a "silent-H", like Spanish has), my intended series of strictly CAD-drawn Telemaster "clone" designs all bear the name "Elyu"-something, that "something" being the rough wingspan in centimeters - the smallest of my "Elyus" is the Elyu-140, meant to be built with either a Saito FA-30S four-stroke power choice, or as a 4S1P "brushless'n'A123s"-style, lithium-iron, "LFP cell"-powered electric aircraft.

The "Elyu-series" of aircraft, in comparison to the Telemaster kits/designs they're based upon, will all have a slightly elevated off-the-fuselage stab position (up just a bit from the vertical fin-root), Frise ailerons, full fiberglass cowls (which I've scratchbuilt two of, in my aeromodeling past) and scale-like cockpit/cabin windows for a "full-scale" appearance in flight.

For my still-unbuilt "Telly-40" kit, that will be given a Warren-truss fuselage bulkhead layout as well...it will get the name "Elyu-180", while a long-planned "tribute-Elyu" to my late (passed in 1996) RC instructor Sam Frey...

...who only flew with knobby radios as I've always done and will continue to do, is an "Elyu-ed" clone of the Senior Telly, known as an "Elyu-240", from his time flying an Enya 90-4C-powered Senior Telemaster, the vintage design he always had the most enjoyment with, especially in fully exploiting its SLOW-flight characteristics to the fullest, always at under 100 foot (30 meter) altitudes.

When I can find the time to secure a disused, "board-flat" door stored on my mother's fully-enclosed back porch of nearly seven fleet in length, I'll finally have a building board to use again, and the Elyu-140 design is quite likely to be the first airframe I'll get going with for building RC aircraft once again in the coming years.

Well, I've got my own choice for an airframe for my example of the FA-30S "jewel-like" methanol four-stroke mill...it should be a blast completing its CAD plans and gettin' it built in time!

Yours Sincerely,
The PIPE....!!
Jul 10, 2019, 05:57 PM
What could possibly go wrong?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourist_603
I've just acquired a used twin. Very clean, turns easily and smoothly. No compression in either cylinder. If I remember correctly from previous posts on this thread, the first place to look is stuck valves. Take off the valve cover, drop in some penetrating oil, and go slowly and gently. if still stuck, heat gun. Does this sound about right?
That's exactly right, to the word. I'd also inspect the rocker gear for free movement, though that's unlikely to be behind your loss of compression. It's just a good opportunity to check it, and to set valve clearance / lash with a feeler gauge. It's easy to do and the engine will run better for it
Jul 10, 2019, 07:19 PM
Lookin' up at the centerline
Quote:
Let me know when you get ready for that 100
Ok, I've done my homework.... Apparently Saito has nothing smaller than the 182 twin now.
what is a fair price these days for a 100 T in good running shape?

Nick
Jul 10, 2019, 09:01 PM
They turn up at around $250 for good used and maybe $400 up for a new one.
Jul 11, 2019, 10:43 AM
Lookin' up at the centerline
Thanks, so to do the antic, I'll need to raise about $700.
(in line behind new back tires for the van and a new set of spectacles.
Jul 11, 2019, 05:33 PM
Quote:
Sorry, I'm a little late on this one, yes I still have both of them.
Jul 16, 2019, 05:21 AM
Saito FA 40-a
Fuel===Wildcat 10%/18% full syn.
Prop===Xoar 11 x 6
Plug===Glo-Devil 4c for Saito/Enya
Max rpm stock exhaust==10,020
Max rpm with Turbo Header and Gary made adapter/elbow=10,230
These numbers attained after 90 minutes total run time. 93 degrees F.
Jul 16, 2019, 07:10 AM
Very good, it's a great engine at not quite 11 oz.

My impression is that Xoars load the engine a little more than other props of same pitch/dia. Not saying that's bad, just that the numbers might be even a little higher with other brands.
Jul 16, 2019, 07:12 AM
Cat Man

300T vs 270T Intake manifold compatibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmrcflyr2
Does anyone have both of these engines? I am curious about parts compatibility between the two. Specifically the intake manifolds and muffler nuts. I am curious if this will fit the 270T
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Saito-Engin...QAAOSwy6hci~zG

Many thanks.
I will have this answer very soon. I will be servicing a 300T with a crushed Intake manifold and I ordered what could be the last pair from http://hobbyplastic.co.uk/ When it arrives I will be able to do a direct comparison to the ones on my 270.
Jul 16, 2019, 08:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by I TOBOR
Saito FA 40-a
Fuel===Wildcat 10%/18% full syn.
Prop===Xoar 11 x 6
Plug===Glo-Devil 4c for Saito/Enya
Max rpm stock exhaust==10,020
Max rpm with Turbo Header and Gary made adapter/elbow=10,230
These numbers attained after 90 minutes total run time. 93 degrees F.

Nice run. Was that adapter the one with 11.0 mm female and 10.0 mm male threads?
Jul 16, 2019, 10:47 AM
I believe it's 10 mm female and 9 mm male. You very kindly made two of them, one 90 degrees and lone approximately 45 degrees. A SuperTigre G-21 .46 well spent.

Quick Reply