Jul 31, 2009, 12:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingking
I was flying a T-28 60size with an enya 60 2 stroke changed to a Saito 72 fourstroke and was amazed with the difference. Flys beautiful. Will get more Saitos

Which Enya .60 two-stroke are you comparing to the Saito .72? Is it the latest version that is essentially a bored/stroked .50CX?

TIA

Ed Cregger
to remove ads between posts
Jul 31, 2009, 12:38 PM
I have a .56 4-stroke mounted inverted on a BlueMax. I have a problem with the throttle as the pushpull cable binds in the open position. Obviously the throttle arm is too close to the firewall in the open position - the slight misalignment between the pushpull guide tube and the arm causes my problem. An easy solution would be to move the throttle arm away from the firewall to the new angle shown. Is there any way to do this on this engine ?
Jul 31, 2009, 03:16 PM
rszanti,
It looks like you could rotate the throttle arm forward a little bit so you would have a little more clearance between the firewall and the throttle arm at wide open throttle.
Jul 31, 2009, 03:42 PM
Fly'em like you Stole'em
Thread OP
Yes Rszanti , There is a set screw in the plastic throttle arm that allows you to position the throttle arm where you want it .
Jul 31, 2009, 10:37 PM
Mike

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. Couldn't see it hidden up under the mount.
Aug 01, 2009, 04:58 PM
TDI Abuser
RodneyGT , Here goes those setup pics for the Sukhoi . Sorry the engine is a little dirty though . I must clean it up a little also note the gobbed red slicone to seal the intake . Ive had air leaks here on my .82's and this just gives me peace of mind that its not going to happen . Opinions may vary on this one also but its not entirely reflected on the plactic cover.

Mike
Aug 01, 2009, 05:06 PM
Registered User Wannabe
flyinghigh, thanks for the pics. I'm only on page 30 of the su26 thread now.

How does it balance with the glow engine and what type of flight batt are you using? I would probably use a hydrimax 6V 2000mah pack, as I'm running a couple but am thinking about delving into A123 cells.

As to the air leaks, I have an aluminum backplate on my .82. The idea is to prevent the flex that will cause the intake tube to eat your o-ring.
Aug 01, 2009, 06:18 PM
TDI Abuser
Hmm ok I hear you on the flex , Just never noticed it when I yank on the carb . You have a link to the aluminum backplate ? Definitely worth a try plus it'll look trick right

I use a 3cell 800mah lipo with a Castle 10amp BEC . The plane is 5pounds on the scale dry so 5.5 pounds RTF .

I used two elevator servo setup so the cg is not that bad . I use the RX pack for CG adjustments on a tray I built under the Pull/Pull You may be able to balance it with an A123 without that though .

It likes to rock a little in low AoA harriers also . It can be flown out but who does that these days ?
Aug 01, 2009, 07:05 PM
Registered User Wannabe

.82 or .72 aluminum backplate

Here's my little thread on it with a link to the guy I got it from: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=993891

Here's a pic of my .82:

I was thinking that I would either use two 225mg on the elev or one ds821 for the elev and one for the rudder. What's you throttle servo?
Aug 01, 2009, 08:03 PM
TDI Abuser
Thanks for the link. For the throttle I use a 65mg ,the linkage comes with the plane .
Get a better tank stop while your at it also .
There is not much difference in the servo specs on the 821's and the 225's , Interesting.
Are the 821's JR zero deadband rated ?
Aug 01, 2009, 09:16 PM
Registered User Wannabe
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinghigh
Hmm ok I hear you on the flex , Just never noticed it when I yank on the carb . . .
I don't know. I'm no expert. I just got to talking to a guy, who happened to be a retired machinist and had made a couple because he felt that while stiff, the plastic allowed more flex than the aluminum - not talking about much flex - probably can't feel it by hand - I couldn't. But, my o-ring wasn't sealing good enough - was worn. I replaced the o-ring and asked if he wanted to make me a backplate, hopefully to keep it from happening again - and it looks trick

Oh, and I'm still a relative novice - I don't know what "zero deadband rated" means. I very much look forward to that su26. I'll be flying it sport for awhile - while I practice 3d with my mojo. I've also got a saito 100 slated for a sabre profile.
Aug 01, 2009, 09:44 PM
TDI Abuser
JR Comparison Test (2 min 53 sec)
BTW: any high end radio will let you adjust trim steps nothing special for the 12x really

Have you had any issues since the backplate mod ? How long have you had the new O-ring in . It seems Ill have to inquire about it and get put on a list for when a lot of people want one then he can mass produce them ? I'm definitely interested but I think mostly the intake is a half A$$ design (Sorry Saito) and may be the culprit of why a lot of people just can't get a Saito to run right for them . I noticed on my first .82 when i saw pink condensate on the runner and it wasn't oil dripping down from the rockers either ! Sealed it up and it was a night and day difference .

You can definitely turn down the rates and have a blast with the Sukhoi . Another cool plane I like is the Extreme Flight 58" Extra .
Aug 01, 2009, 10:04 PM
Registered User Wannabe
I've not flown it since the mod. I've run two or three full tanks thru it on the stand and it is not surging/changing idle speeds, which was a symptom that it had before the mod. On the stand, it seems to be running perfectly. Only time will tell, though.

The 82 was on my previous profile, I had pulled into a hover/harrier at about 12' altitude, pulled back to idle, went to wash some wind over the control surfaces and it died. I set it down as best as I could but the fuse separated behind the wing. I decided get a mojo because of the cf tube thru the fuse that prevents that kind of breakage. I decided that I would put my os55ax on the mojo and put the 82 on the su26. I'm about finished with the mojo.

My spare hunnert (other one in a warbird) will go in this:

Aug 01, 2009, 11:40 PM
TDI Abuser
Some more of my toys .Except for the profile which is a guy I know who designed and cuts them . I have one I need to cover yet . I really need to get me a profile up and going though!

Sotos Designs (6 min 0 sec)

And another Sukhoi , I land at one point and you can watch me taxi around after my approach failures. Landing follies .
Sukhoihigherdef (4 min 32 sec)

Extra300sound (1 min 28 sec)

Saito180 (3 min 25 sec)
Aug 01, 2009, 11:43 PM
Fly'em like you Stole'em
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinghigh
RodneyGT , Here goes those setup pics for the Sukhoi . Sorry the engine is a little dirty though . I must clean it up a little also note the gobbed red slicone to seal the intake . Ive had air leaks here on my .82's and this just gives me peace of mind that its not going to happen . Opinions may vary on this one also but its not entirely reflected on the plactic cover.

Mike
FlyingHigh , recently I have been having problems when I start the 82 at the begining of the day . I get some surging in the top end and I end up having to richin up the top end and reset it . I wonder if this is an intake deal ??

What exactly was your engine doing before you put the silicon on it ?? I have all new seals and gaskets I just haven't put them in yet . Not sure if I got a new metal ring for the intake . I have 3 packages for all the seals and stuff . I could probly make the backplates out of aluminum . I have a crapload of 6061 and the stronger 7075 if that really would help the sealing . I never thought of that effecting the intake but even 12/12 nylon will wear in time from the heat .

Quick Reply