Jul 03, 2009, 05:41 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Schulze ils 6-330d Internal mod for 8.06 to 8.50 upgrade

I have an old ils 6-330d with v8.06 firmware. Upgrading to V8.50 require shipping the unit to Germany because according to Schulze, they have to “recalibrate”. The cost is just too high.

I have read someplace that a capacitor will have to be replaced also.

I have a source for V8.50 firmware which I can put on the eprom.

Has anyone upgraded their 6-330d with V8.06 or less to a V8.50 without sending the unit back to Germany?

What modification has to be made to older 6-330d?

Thanks.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 04, 2009, 09:08 AM
jrb
jrb
I'm interested in knowing too!
Jul 04, 2009, 10:17 AM
Giz
Giz
Tony Rogers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyroguru

Has anyone upgraded their 6-330d with V8.06 or less to a V8.50 without sending the unit back to Germany?

When I sent mine to Germany to be upgraded it was returned with the components that had been replaced in a small plastic bag. About four very small components if I remember correctly. I think, without the right equipment and knowledge, it would be very hard to do yourself.
Jul 04, 2009, 02:41 PM
Thread OP
Giz, I would be very greatful if you could take the cover off and take some pictures and post them.

Thanks.
Jul 06, 2009, 05:57 AM
Giz
Giz
Tony Rogers
Yer tis...
Jul 06, 2009, 09:24 PM
Thread OP
Thanks so much Giz for the picture. The two large capacitors are bigger then the ones on my unit. Can you please tell me the size and voltage of the teal and the dark blue caps? Sometimes the part numbers dont tell the size.

There is also a small film cap next to the akku1 (lower left). Can you take a close up of this so I can see how it is connected?

Thanks so much.
Jul 07, 2009, 04:55 AM
Giz
Giz
Tony Rogers
The blue and teal caps don't have size and voltage visible on them. ids are:

blue: Jamicon 332C2(M)
teal: Jamicon 340C2(M)

However, these are not the components that were changed when the charger was recalibrated.

I would prefer not to take the cover off again.
Jul 07, 2009, 07:08 AM
jrb
jrb
Hi Giz!

Sure would be nice if you could post a photo of the old/returned components?

Jim
Jul 07, 2009, 08:54 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for posting these pictures.

It seems that my units has the two large caps same as yours. Schulze replaced the small surface mount cap with a larger film type. I have two of them and they are the same size so I think the third one is probably the same also.

Thanks again.
Jul 07, 2009, 10:11 AM
jrb
jrb
Does that give you all the needed G2 Gg?

If yes, can you tell us a bit about what they chnaged and its effect -- is it really "calibration"?

It would really be nice to get more usefulness out of this charger; with your help it seems like it won't have to go fro a plane ride!

To bad the CMOS in my Robbe Infinity 2 is soldered in place.
Jul 07, 2009, 10:48 AM
Supersonic Engineering
The older Schulze chargers had a problem with certain capacitors blowing if a battery was disconnected whilst charging. I think the capacitors being replaced when chargers are returned for calibration are these very capacitors and have nothing to do with calibration. The calibration process is carried out to ensure that voltages are within tolerances when charging Lipo batteries - AFAIK, it is either done with resistor changes or in software. Surely it's better to let Schulze carry out the necessary work and be sure that your charger is safe to use? A fire from an overcharged battery could cost you a LOT more!
Jul 07, 2009, 11:18 AM
Giz
Giz
Tony Rogers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb
Hi Giz!

Sure would be nice if you could post a photo of the old/returned components?

Jim
Sorry, I don't think I have them any more.
Jul 09, 2009, 02:31 PM
Giz - how much did the upgrade cost inc. postage?
What are the main differences in capbility in going from 8.06 to 8.5?
Jul 10, 2009, 05:46 AM
Giz
Giz
Tony Rogers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmed
Giz - how much did the upgrade cost inc. postage?
What are the main differences in capbility in going from 8.06 to 8.5?
My upgrade was from v8.07 to v8.41. The cost was 21 Euros plus shipping and I think shipping was 29 Euros.

The main reason for me upgrading was the LiFe program which was added which enabled up to 12s (later 13s) a123s to be charged. The LiFe program replaced the LiMn program if I remember correctly. I use a123s all the time and it works very well.
Jul 10, 2009, 07:17 AM
jrb
jrb
That's better than $50 if rom the USA; or, roughly 1/3 the price of a new charger -- add a few more bucks and you can get more power -- which is what's really needed!

But, if we can do it ourselves, with a little help from a friend w/CMOS ( specifically for A123s) it a lot better than not.

Quick Reply