Jul 15, 2009, 09:32 PM
F5j -F3j-F3F - What to Fly?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_editor
A small off topic question, what are those locking components on the aileron L-bends called? They'd be perfect on a 'servos in the tail' install on my 60"
Du Bro EZ link's
to remove ads between posts
Jul 16, 2009, 03:17 AM
Biting ankles since '53
Thanks. Maybe next year I'll be in a position to get a D40 to stick some on.
Jul 23, 2009, 07:32 AM
Registered DSer
Joe

Planning my build and have a couple of questions:

1. You used a JR DS285MG servo for the elevator. Will a D47 or D60 do the job or are they too big? Any others you'd recommend that were successfully used on the blem batch?
2. What configuration of battery will fit? Brick, block, star or end-to-end pairs? AA or AAA? I cant get end-to-end pairs here and may have to roll my own - ugh!
3. How much nose-weight does it require to balance? What did you use? Melted lead or other? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Roger.
Jul 23, 2009, 09:22 AM
Stay in it!!!!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahnx
Joe

Planning my build and have a couple of questions:

1. You used a JR DS285MG servo for the elevator. Will a D47 or D60 do the job or are they too big? Any others you'd recommend that were successfully used on the blem batch?
2. What configuration of battery will fit? Brick, block, star or end-to-end pairs? AA or AAA? I cant get end-to-end pairs here and may have to roll my own - ugh!
3. How much nose-weight does it require to balance? What did you use? Melted lead or other? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Roger.
I have used D47's for the elevator but they are a bit spongey for my taste. As of right now, I wouldn't go with anything but the JR285MG. There are probably other servos that would fit but I dont have any experience with them. The JR is a pretty tight servo.

I have been able to fit end to end pairs of AA's in there but they become stuck in the nose unless you mount your elevator servo really far back. That's not easy to do if your using the JR servo. If your going with the D47 it's no problem. Honestly, unless your planning on getting this plane a ways past 200MPH the D47 is a fine servo for it and they are very inexpensive. Im going to try to use the D47's in my next wing. I think they will do just fine. Just need to keep the link all the way down close to the output shaft of the servo. That goes for the elevator servo as well.

I have used shot as well as chunks of lead to balance these planes. I remember it taking 2.5oz. of lead when using a 4 cell AA pack. I prefer to use a 4 cell AAA pack but since Im going to use D47's in the next wing I will be using a 5 cell AAA pack. The AAA packs give a bit of extra room for your switch and receiver. It is possible (easily done) to position your receiver behind the elevator servo under the wing bolt and still have access to it. Not all receivers work but many do and some I just take the case off to make fit. Basically, there are many setup options available. Hope that helps.

Joe
Jul 28, 2009, 10:07 AM
Roger , what i do for nose weight is to find out how much you need , get the finest lead shot you can find , mix epoxy and shot together , pour into nose , use a bit less than you need so you can fine tune...Dennis
Jul 29, 2009, 11:03 PM
Jim in San Diego
Just don't over heat the nose and mess up the finish. I think people have suggested setting the fuse up to keep it in water to dissapate the heat.
Last plane I did that trick on I set it down flat to go do something else and forgot that lead shot mixed with epoxy doesn't like to stay in the nose unless you keep the nose down. D'OH! Nothing like a lead belly

Jim
Aug 14, 2009, 04:38 PM
Registered DSer
Joe

A build question.

Can you please measure and advise the deflections (both ways) of the surfaces at the root of the ailerons and at the tips of the elevator. I want to program starting deflections into my dynamic build.

Thanks and Cheers

Roger.
Aug 19, 2009, 05:37 AM
This is a real cool looking model, are they available in the UK and if so do you know how much including the shipping?
Aug 19, 2009, 06:01 AM
Mach 0.261 ... Hiccup of Wiggy
They are only available from Joe direct... I think / Hope its funding his huge ds plane habit... : )
$300 + $47 shipping + Vat was my cost.
Get one dude they rock!
George
Aug 19, 2009, 10:10 AM
What receivers have you guys been using in this plane? Will a Hitec Electron 6 fit the bill? Peace
Aug 19, 2009, 11:14 AM
Most have been using the Neutron 6. Either in front or behind the wing saddle area. Try to keep at least 1 inch area clear at the cg for ballast. Mine is fit snug slid back under the wing holddown bolt. Antenna is wrapped around the bobbin, with 10" hanging out the back. Hope that helps.
Aug 19, 2009, 11:23 AM
Objects in mirror are losing
BTW: Neutrons are on sale at Hobby Peeps for $35.99.
Latest blog entry: JW48 - Lightweight DS Build
Aug 30, 2009, 06:10 AM
Volare!
Getting close to finishing mine.

I'm building a HEAVY D40. I added 5oz lead in wingtips and used an inline 4 cell AAA to load into the boom. Switch aft too. Elevator servo mounted in center of saddle area with epoxy putty. In the saddle area, I've got about 1.5" fore and aft for ballast. The nose will house my Rx and... you guessed it... more ballast.

What's the heaviest D40 build you’ve heard of?

Of the fastest D40’s, what where their weights?

Any caveats for settings, C/G or flight behavior with heavy D40's? I'm gussing I won't throw unless it is at least 25-30.

Other ideas? D40-heavy observations?

Thanks,
-Matt
Aug 30, 2009, 11:33 AM
Just Fly it

color

It must be visible, and top from bottom distinguashable. Fluorescent paint or tape. Block on the bottom, angle on top - or what ever it takes to see it and know what its doing.
Aug 30, 2009, 12:14 PM
Flew mine for the first time yesterday, Flew great at Grass Mtn!

24oz - flew in 10-15mph no problem. Radared a dive in at 129mph!! Fast little sucker! Estimated DS speed was a little faster.
Small throws maybe a little over 1/8 up Ail, little over 1/16 down.
About 1/8 on the elevator.
Three D47's as Joe told me, JR 790 fits great, 5 cell AAA (2 on the belly and three above fit perfect!) You have to slide it into the nose vertical, then rotate it 90deg and pull it back into the wing saddle nice and snug!

What a great plane, so much fun to DS, fast, good to speed up ur thumbs!!!

Quick Reply