Jul 02, 2009, 06:48 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
Thread OP
Contest

Who is going to the ESL DLG Contest Aug. 1 & 2 in NY

The next regional contest I attend will be an Eastern Soaring League HL contest on Long Island. It is called the Long Island Hand Launch Classic and is held at the Long Island Silent Flyers field. www.lisf.org

If past numbers are any indication, there should be 20 to 30 pilots in attendence. It should be a great event. It is still a month away and there are already 13 pilots registered.

According to the information page, there will be Expert and Sportsman classes flown. I don't see reference to a Novice Class,

The field is large with plenty of open space and there are tree lines at the edges, if you can reach them, where you can surf the lift if there is a breeze.

The CD, Frank, has been running this event for several years and does a great job of set-up. There are typically thermal detector poles at the corners of the flying area to help you spot the lift.

I am not an accomplished DLG pilot but I always enjoy this event.

Hope to see you there.

Registration is here:
http://www.flyesl.com/calendar.asp

About 2.5 hours from Philly
About 2.5 hour from Hartford
About 3 hours from Dover
about 3 hours from Reading PA
About 4 horus from Boston
about 4 hours from Baltimore

BTW, it is possible to get there by train too. For example, Amtrack or NJ Transit to NY Penn, to Long Island Rail Road. The Syosset Station is about a mile from the field. There are taxis at the station, so you can do it by train too.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply