Jul 01, 2009, 06:40 AM
Winging it >
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinT
Oh Verrrrrry Nice ! ! ! ! !

Are you planning to release this awesome flying machine as a pdf plan?
If so (hopefully!): Looks like I have a new project coming up!

What kind of motor/prop combo did you use?

Best regards,
Martin
The drawings have been started.I want to include the lower side air intakes in the drawings as an option for guys who want to build this plane differently.... single motor pusher or single motor prop in slot or whatever.

One interesting variation I've considered is is to bring the motors forward (two props in two slots) and link the ailerons to the tailerons as jcowell did on his F 35 . I think this would give give a good roll rate even at the lowest air speeds.

GWS 7 x 3.5 props, 10A ESCs , and this Motor .
Last edited by leadfeather; Jul 01, 2009 at 07:10 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 01, 2009, 07:05 AM
I still like the air hogs. Simple small flight anywhere. Unless I want to pony up for a newer radio, that is beyond me as I can only slave rudder to aileron. Nice job. Like you said lots of variations seem possible. Wondered when you would be going back to vtol...
Jul 01, 2009, 07:20 AM
Winging it >
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymbrewolf
I still like the air hogs. Simple small flight anywhere. Unless I want to pony up for a newer radio, that is beyond me as I can only slave rudder to aileron. Nice job. Like you said lots of variations seem possible. Wondered when you would be going back to vtol...
You could just go with rudders instead of differential thrust for Yaw control.
Jul 01, 2009, 07:27 AM
Winging it >
Thread OP

Indoor flying

One thing I forgot to mention is that in anticiipation of VTOL power requirements, I'm using a large (for indoor flying) 3s 1000mAh battery, yet this jet really slows down nice and is surprisingly floaty.

The only jet I've flown before this F-35 that I thought was a good indoor jet was a light weight build of the Kosh/Dekan F-22 . It looks like a light build of this F-35 will be another possibility for a fun indoor capable or backyard jet.
Jul 01, 2009, 09:51 AM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymbrewolf
I still like the air hogs. Simple small flight anywhere. Unless I want to pony up for a newer radio, that is beyond me as I can only slave rudder to aileron. ...
One alternative is to do the mixing on the plane.
GWS and Blue Arrow make 'v-tail' mixers that are also usable to
do elevon mixing and should be able to do throttle/rudder mixing too.
$15 or less at BPHobbies:
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...81&pid=T498579
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...1&pid=NBA06109
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...1&pid=NBA06110 (for JSTs)
Jul 01, 2009, 09:56 AM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfeather
One interesting variation I've considered is is to bring the motors forward (two props in two slots) and link the ailerons to the tailerons as jcowell did on his F 35 . I think this would give give a good roll rate even at the lowest air speeds.
If one wanted to stay 'slotless', one could also have 2 tractor props on the wings.
Then to protect the props, one could add a CF rod in front of each prop
(one CF rod end on the fuse, the other on the wing tip).
Jul 01, 2009, 10:18 AM
Winging it >
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying-llama
If one wanted to stay 'slotless', one could also have 2 tractor props on the wings.
Then to protect the props, one could add a CF rod in front of each prop
(one CF rod end on the fuse, the other on the wing tip).
This is a really good idea! It would be especially helpful for a light build in terms of getting the cg balanced without using a large battery way up in the nose.

Also this arrangement should give some prop blast over the rudders too.
Last edited by leadfeather; Jul 01, 2009 at 10:26 AM.
Jul 01, 2009, 01:20 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Leadfeather, I am glad that some of my ideas are turning out to be potentially useful to you,
especially since a number of your projects
(Firefly, PbF, micro versions of both, and this F35) have been
among the most interesting projects that I have been reading in RCGroups.
Your theme of an agile EPP plane with a protected prop(s) appeals to me

Now, if I could only build even half as fast as you.
Last edited by flying-llama; Jul 01, 2009 at 01:55 PM.
Jul 01, 2009, 02:17 PM
Winging it >
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying-llama
Leadfeather, I am glad that some of my ideas are turning out to be potentially useful to you,
especially since a number of your projects
(Firefly, PbF, micro versions of both, and this F35) have been
among the most interesting projects that I have been reading in RCGroups.
Your theme of an agile EPP plane with a protected prop(s) appeals to me

Now, if I could only build even half as fast as you.
That's what RCGroups is great for, sharing ideas; thanks for your ideas!!

I try to build at least as fast a I crash.
Jul 02, 2009, 06:29 PM
Winging it >
Thread OP

Fins

Fins are enlarged to improve lateral stability and allow for more aft cg. Hopefully testing this evening.

I think this will be the only significant change the plane needs from the 3 view drawing.
Jul 02, 2009, 07:12 PM
My plans are in my blog
I think we might add this jet to our list, it looks good.
Jul 02, 2009, 08:25 PM
Winging it >
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty-Gunn
I think we might add this jet to our list, it looks good.
Thanks Rusty!

Just test flew the F 35 with the enlarged fins...perfect. Now I can move the cg all the way back to where the pitch starts to get funny with out any spiral instability.

Phase I is done, on to Phase II.

Ken is working on plans BTW. For now just generic airframe plans that guys can build out as they like, tractor, prop in slot etc.
Last edited by leadfeather; Jul 02, 2009 at 10:34 PM.
Jul 03, 2009, 06:13 AM
Winging it >
Thread OP

Counter rotating propellers

There are not a lot of choices for counter rotating propellers out there, especially in 2 bladed props.

GWS does make matched sets of 3 bladed ccw and cw props .

I'm going to be using the 8 x 4 for the lift fans.
Jul 03, 2009, 10:13 AM
I Love My Ember!
You are going to get the gyroscopic effects from the wing mounted motors in this configuration, so consider that when you size your ailerons/tailerons. Very cool though.
Jul 03, 2009, 12:03 PM
Ken's CAD Models

Leadfeathers F-35 VTOL plans

Here are the plans for Leadfeather's F-35. These phase 1 plans are generic. They leave motor and servo mounting up to the discretion of the builder. These plans will be developing into phase 2. Hope you enjoy using them as much as I did producing them.

Ken

Quick Reply