Jun 29, 2009, 03:31 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Dead Lipo

I made the mistake of not unplugging my 640Mah battery and ran it completely down. Now when I put it on the charger it comes up with an error saying "battery voltage too low" and won't charge. Some guys at the field said there is a way you can pull then back from the dead. Something about setting the charger for NiCd and charging for a few minutes then switching to lipo once the voltage gets up a bit. (I know....it sounds tricky and dangerous.) Anyone know anything about this?
to remove ads between posts
Jun 29, 2009, 03:51 PM
Fully Sending It
Note: some lipos may still go on for numerous more cycles, whereas others may only last a few flights.

Chargers for NiXX and lipo are the same, just with lipo there is a cutoff voltage programmed into the circuit to prevent overcharge. NiXX cells are less sensitive to this so they don't have this circuit. You charge a lipo on the NiMH setting and at ~ 1/2C for a few minutes. The lipo will be fine as long as it's just a few minutes. Go too long and the lipo will get overcharged (see LipoSack demonstrations).
Jun 29, 2009, 06:30 PM
Space Coast USA
We could eliminate 50% of the posts in this forum by making a DEAD LIPO RECOVERY sticky.
Last edited by hoppy; Jul 01, 2009 at 11:15 PM.
Jun 29, 2009, 07:46 PM
Thread OP
Thanks guys. I plugged it in as a NiCd at .5 amp for probably no more than a couple minutes, then plugged in the balancer plug and set it for the proper battery type and it came back from the dead! Seems to be fine
Jun 30, 2009, 04:21 AM
7000mw of raw power!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy
We could eliminate 50% of the posts in this forum by making a DEAD LIPO RECOVERY sticky.
I was thinking exactly that same thing. The noobs apparently do not like to read.

Quick Reply