Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
This thread is privately moderated by jetset44, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 28, 2009, 01:47 AM
Park Jet Guru
Download

Grumman X-29 Park Jet

This is a fun model that is absolutely unmistakable in the air due to the forward swept wing. It's sized similar to my other park jets and uses the same construction methods and power systems. While this model has a few quirks in the air and is not a hands-off airplane, if you stay ahead of it it does fly well and is smooth and fun to fly. And it's definitely different!

Specs:
Wing area: 217 sq in
Span: 28.1”
Length: 46.4”
Weight RTF: 20 to 23 oz
Wing loading: 15 oz/sq ft
Motor: Littlescreamers Super Park Jet
Battery: Thunder Power 2100 mAh 11.1V Prolite
Prop: APC 7x5
Current: 19 amps
Watts: 185 watts
Power loading: 130 watts/lb
Flight controls: Canard, aft strake flaps, ailerons, rudder (optional)

My model is powered by a Littlescreamers Super Park Jet motor, which provides unlimited vertical and around 70 mph top speed. Another unusual aspect of this model is the pitch control--canard, elevons, and aft strake flaps are all mixed together. This sounds complicated but is really quite easy to set up with a good computer transmitter. Simpler setups are possible, but I found this setup provides the best overall control.

If you build this model, be forewarned of one thing—just about every time you take it to the flying field, some wisecrack will yell, "Hey WAIT, you've got the wing on BACKWARDS!". It's funny how many times that has happened to me already…

Build thread: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=838414

Flight video:
X-29 Park Jet (2 min 54 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Jul 26, 2009, 10:02 AM
great little plane.. can I ask a dumb question.. how do I print the parts?
Like 10 percent and take it to a place to blow it up to 100 percent?
Sorry just don't know... thanks sanford
Jul 28, 2009, 02:03 PM
Park Jet Guru
No worries. To print the plans, you have two options:

1) Download the tiled part templates file, print them on your home computer, and then carefully align and tape all the tiled pages together.

2) Download the untiled part templates file, take them to a print shop like Kinkos, and have them print them on a large format (36" wide) printer. Make sure you check the scale before you leave to ensure the prints are scaled properly--just hold a ruler up to the scale printed on the plans. If they're off, have the print shop adjust the settings and reprint. Kinkos only charges about $5 to $8 to print it, which I think is well worth the time saved from taping together the tiled version.

If you like, you can also print the assembly drawing out at home on your own printer. It's only used to show how everything fits together.

Good luck!

Steve
Jul 29, 2009, 06:32 PM
Thanks, I tried the tiled on my computer but it will only go to 72.7 %, if I try 100% it will not print the whole page..this is not making sense..when I open the file it goes to that percent..If I put it a 100 the page will not. I printed it out and the one inch scale mearsure about .75
Ordered the dapron today.. will keep you informed, but it will take me a while, nice bird and great vidio...
I did take the untiled to a print shop, he said he had figured it out but have not picked it up yet...
You really do good work,, I looked at the t-38 build to get an idea of what to do, I have never done this kind of project before.. The dog is already hideing in the bed room cause I am too busy trying to figure things out.
Ps. fiberglass strips, are you talking about the tape with the threats in it??or is this a special tape?
Hope my questions are not too dumb...
Thanks sanford
Last edited by sanman55; Jul 30, 2009 at 06:35 AM.
Jul 30, 2009, 07:45 AM
Finally figured it out, wow.... When I open up the tiled pictures in adobe it shows 72.2% in the zoom, I move it to 100% and in the print properities uncheck the fit to page..its close to line up but I did get the scale to measure one inch..my brain hurts.. I just wanted to do it even thou I am getting it printed.. 75 sheets later and a lot of tape....
I did notice that you call for .22 carbon rod in the wings, I think you ment .08 ? the .22 would almost cut thru the wing..
Can't wait to get started.. Thanks again, sanford
Jul 30, 2009, 01:50 PM
Park Jet Guru
Glad to hear you figured it out. And yes, I recommend .22" carbon tube for the wings. 6mm Depron is .24" thick, so the spar shouldn't stick out any. And even if it sticks out a little it won't hurt anything.
Jul 30, 2009, 07:08 PM
Now I am confused., the pictures hear show the 0.22 rod at the carnards and that looks like .22 to me but the ones in the wing and canard look like the same size as the rod running to the rear.. Were they .08 and changed later to .22?? Eyes getting old.

Thanks
Last edited by sanman55; Jul 30, 2009 at 07:23 PM.
Jul 31, 2009, 06:34 AM
Got the plans and cut out the pieces and glued to the poster board. Should be depron soon and need to order some 0.22 rod.
What glue did you use,, expoxy ?
Just remember I am a newbie to building and will propably ask some dumb questions.....
Thanks for your help..........
Aug 01, 2009, 08:02 AM
Who me organized or what??? A place for everything and everything in its place... yea right.......Will have have some stupid questions later... this is fun........ Now where did I put my expoxy??
Aug 01, 2009, 01:06 PM
Dry fit to see how she will look.. pretty cool........
Aug 02, 2009, 09:11 AM
I do have a few questions if you would be so kind.
1. I noticed in your pictures that there are many doublers that I don't see in the plans..ex.. the bulkheeds have cut outs on each side but no mention of anything to fill that.. picture of plane shows triple on sides but I have only one piece..
2. How much can you move the cg on the print safely, forward and aft of your mark/
3. I noticed no cooling vents for the battery? does yours stay cool?
I know this is an old build for you but its a new build for me and I want to do it right...
4. I am confused about the inlet fense and diverter and how they go together. Is there a good picture on this , I see on the plans the diverter but not sure where the slot on the fense goes into..
5. A close up of the servo and wire to airelons would really help , too
Thanks for takeing your time... rcpowers is interested in the build I am doing and I am telling him about it , he knows and likes your work...
sanford
Last edited by sanman55; Aug 02, 2009 at 11:02 AM.
Aug 02, 2009, 11:22 PM
Park Jet Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanman55
I do have a few questions if you would be so kind.
1. I noticed in your pictures that there are many doublers that I don't see in the plans..ex.. the bulkheeds have cut outs on each side but no mention of anything to fill that.. picture of plane shows triple on sides but I have only one piece..
2. How much can you move the cg on the print safely, forward and aft of your mark/
3. I noticed no cooling vents for the battery? does yours stay cool?
I know this is an old build for you but its a new build for me and I want to do it right...
4. I am confused about the inlet fense and diverter and how they go together. Is there a good picture on this , I see on the plans the diverter but not sure where the slot on the fense goes into..
5. A close up of the servo and wire to airelons would really help , too
Thanks for takeing your time... rcpowers is interested in the build I am doing and I am telling him about it , he knows and likes your work...
sanford
Hi Sanford,
Your model is looking good so far. Here are some answers to your questions:

1) The doublers are all just simple 3/8" or 1/2" wide strips of Depron, so I didn't include them on the parts templates. The required sizes are listed on the parts that use them, so just glue them where indicated.
2) I would recommend using exactly the CG called on the plans. I spent a lot of time trimming in flight and this position worked best.
3) No, I haven't used or needed cooling vents for the battery.
4) Photo of the aileron horns attached below
5) Unfortunately I didn't take any photos of this step so I can't attach a photo. Generally, the idea is to glue the inlet diverter to the fuselage side first and then glue the inlet fence piece on top of it. I've attached a close up from the plans to try to illustrate.

I welcome any questions you have, but I'd recommend posting them in the main build thread for the X-29 instead of here. That's because lots of guys that have built this ship monitor the other thread and can probably answer your questions a lot quicker than I can. Here's a link:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=838414

Steve
Last edited by jetset44; Aug 02, 2009 at 11:34 PM.
Aug 03, 2009, 07:55 AM
Thanks so much and I will post there in the future. I really appreciate you taking the time to go over an old build..
I am learning a lot that will help in future builds.......thanks for the photo's
One more question before I go to the build thread.
Where do you get and what do you call those nylon's that slip on the wire., never seen them before.........That close up really answered a lot, position of the horns, tubing that wire is in and exact position,, a picture really is worth a thousand words........thanks again,Sanford
Now i SEE the foam strips, I at first thought that was tape...DAH.....missed that .. read and re-read plans...
Last edited by sanman55; Aug 03, 2009 at 08:09 AM.
Aug 03, 2009, 02:23 PM
Park Jet Guru
Glad to help. I'm not sure which nylon parts you're referring to, but the horns are just Dubro strip aileron horns and the tubing is just some spare nylon tubing I had in my shop (and I'm not sure where I got it).

Steve
Aug 04, 2009, 06:31 AM
Sorry, the ones that go on top of the wire that then links to the servo.,, just a regular servo horn? How did you put it on to keep it from spinning on the wire??
Thanks so much... sanford

Quick Reply