Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jun 28, 2009, 12:57 AM
Build Log

Whim Series Micro Squire

Hello Everybody,

I am new to this hobby. I have a Nexstar Select Trainer (Nitro) that was a gift for my birthday last year. I have completed this plane and started the engine for the preliminary break in and now I am stuck. Due to the lack of funds and mostly time, I haven't been able to join a club with an instructor. On top of that, I have taxied her around and find myself very intimidated and because my grandfather bought it for me (he also bought one for himself and we live over 200 miles apart) I really don't want to crash her on the maiden. I decided to find an alternate way to learn how to fly. I love building and after extensive research, I found Park Scale Models. They offer many different kits that are affordable and I can just walk down the street to the local park to fly. I have chosen the Whim Series Micro Squire Trainer as my first build and intro into RC Plane flight. I ordered everything that I need to complete and have almost all of it. The only things that I am missing are a battery charger for my LiPo, a covering iron and the actual kit itself. I actually received my kit from Zeke at parkscalemodels.com over a week ago. Unfortuately, it was crushed and I had to file a claim with the USPS. Zeke sent it Priority Mail (insured) so I am covered and he has already sent me another kit. Hopefully the USPS doesn't crush this one. I will post all of the progress that I have made so far. Again, I am brand new to this wonderful hobby and to this amazing website. I would love any advice, tips and suggestions including how to use this website. Thanks to everybody especially Zeke. Great guy and great little planes.

Sean
to remove ads between posts
Jun 28, 2009, 04:08 AM
Danger is my middle name
I think the shipping companies take those "Do Not Crush" stickers as a challenge or something.....Hopefully you can get a replacement for the balsa pieces.
Jun 28, 2009, 06:42 AM
Yeah, it almost seemed like the USPS people were laughing at me. Zeke already sent me another kit. Should be here in a couple days. Great customer service and great planes. My wishlist already has 7 more.
Jun 28, 2009, 11:38 AM
Team Hitec, Customer Support
Well, I've seen a thick 1/2" cardboard shipping box before, so maybee he'll ship it that way this time

Well, at least you have some spare balsa for your build

Hope all goes well, and if you ever find time, come down here to San Diego, and I (or many others) can help you get going, o if you already solo, fly with us
Latest blog entry: A servo mounting tech-tip
Jun 28, 2009, 07:20 PM
Thank you so much. I will take you up on that as soon as possible. This community is amazing. The camaraderie is unrivaled in my experience. Unfortunately, the USPS kept the kit so no extra balsa for me. Not even sure that they will honor my insurance claim. No worries though, I already have about 50 planes that I just have to build. Quite a few from Park Scale Models. Great little planes and very affordable. Well here is some progress with the electronics. Soldered up the supplied connectors for the ESC and Motor. I am not sure what the wire connector in the top right of the first pic is for? Thanks for the interest and all the help.

Sean
Jun 28, 2009, 07:28 PM
Team Hitec, Customer Support
Hmm, looks good.

No idea why they would include a servo extension with your order

Quality control with Hobby City is non existant.
Latest blog entry: A servo mounting tech-tip
Jun 28, 2009, 08:48 PM
Ok, I am going to go a little off subject. While I have been waiting to get my new kit from Zeke, I decided to finish up another project. It is my Hughes H-1 Racer from Dumas. I recently built a Beechcraft Musketeer from Guillows and had one successful rubber powered flight of about 20 seconds. Bent in some down rudder and launched again. She went up and then stalled crashing back to earth. I had used the method of thinned white glue to dope the tissue. The reason it stalled is because the tissue became wrinkled and loose. I would like to try and fly this Hughes H-1 Racer but I am worried about the same issue with the tissue. Hey, that rhymes. I was wondering if using solite as a covering would have an adverse affect on the weight? Any suggestions? She really is pretty though. The wood in this kit seems like it is inferior to the wood in the Guillows kit and both are way below the quality of the kit Zeke sent me. Thanks to all.
Jul 01, 2009, 12:17 PM
Ok, quick question on the Micro Squire. I have been using thin CA to build my balsa models because that is what the guy at the LHS told me to use. From reading a lot of different threads on here, I have seen that a lot of builders use different glues ranging from Gorilla Glue, thin to thick CA and wood glues. I have everything but thick CA. I used my Titebond II to make some repairs on the Hughes Racer and was pleased with the results. Are there any weight penalties for these different glues. Does anyone use Gorilla Glue for general construction?

Thanks to all.

Waiting on the mail to come. Hopefully they bring me an undamaged kit today!

Sean
Jul 09, 2009, 05:29 PM
Good luck with your Micro Squire. I have really enjoyed mine so far. I've got some info and pics of mine posted on Zeke's original Whim thread as well as pics of my recently completed Hawker Hind kit.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...highlight=whim
Jul 09, 2009, 11:24 PM
Hey Tee Bee,

Thanks for the encouragement. I really look forward to getting this project going. Not sure when that will be though. The USPS is really irritating me on this whole deal. I ordered a second kit after the first one arrived in pieces and it seems to have disappeared.

I just hope that I get one soon. I am out things to build for the time being. I have never covered with SoLite though. Was thinking of building a dummy wing to practice on. We shall see.

Oh, and I had some questions about glues/adhesives on post #9. Anyone have any tips/suggestions?

Thanks for the interest.
Last edited by qandaenergy; Jul 09, 2009 at 11:37 PM.
Jul 11, 2009, 01:22 PM

F-16 Fly-by

Wow! Just had two F-16's fly by right over my roof! Very low and one of them even did a roll. They were just about a thousand feet up. I love living close to Miramar Air Base. We see all kinds of helicopters and jets all year round. Very cool.

Still haven't gotten my kit yet. I ordered it the first time on June 2nd. I was able to track it then. It has now been 40 days since my first order. I am so frustrated with the USPS right now.

Now I have no idea what is going on at all.

Just wish I had some answers. I know Zeke will take care of me.
Jul 11, 2009, 10:00 PM
So while waiting for my Micro Squire, I have been looking for my next build or possibly a fill-in while I wait.

Has anybody built the Mountain Models Cessna 180? Looks like a great little plane and not to far over budget for me right now.

Also drew up some plans on graph paper for an adjustable plane stand. It is adjustable by length, width and height. Found a Free Desk on the sidewalk which will be my donor wood. Will post my plans if anyone is interested.

Thanks to all

Sean
Jul 11, 2009, 10:07 PM

Charger needed!

I just remembered. I was told that I had a Turnigy Accucel 6 charger coming in the mail for Fathers Day. I asked about it today and was informed that my present was indeed forgotten and now I am in need of a charger.

I have a PolyQuest 2s 7.4v 300mAH LiPo. I know nothing about them or how to choose a charger.

I plan on building several planes of different sizes, all having different power requirements. I would like to have a charger that would work for a fairly wide range of batteries. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

Sean
Jul 12, 2009, 01:22 AM
Hyperion 720i Net3 or a iCharger 208B. Both are excellent chargers for a great price that will last for a very longtime with a wide variety of batteries.

Just my $.02