Sep 09, 2019, 01:57 PM
Build'em and Crash'em
Thanks

Its an old Tamjets Dynamax set up on 12S. May be a bit nose heavy as I put in new 6000 mAh packs without checking the CG again.

RC Crafters nose gear strut has alot of play so the landing was sloppy.

So its going in for some maintenance to fix the nose gear slop, CG and a few other issues.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 09, 2019, 02:59 PM
Very nice Ken!
Dec 21, 2019, 07:06 PM
Build'em and Crash'em
Started maintenance on the Hornet. She needed some TLC after E-jets

First up was to get rid of the slop in the RC Crafters nose gear. I straightened and tightened everything, but it was still too lose.

So I broke out the drill, tap and dremel and added a pin and slot to the nose strut. Its much tighter now.

I lost a missile and rail in flight at E-jets. Luckily I had an old rail that could be repaired.

Then I found Dirty Dee's 3d print file for the AIM-9 missile, so thanks to Chris and my 3D printer my bug now has some bite.
Broke out the paint and she is ready for her next flight.

Next up is to upgrade the cockpit a little bit.
Dec 22, 2019, 09:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lapointe
Thanks

Its an old Tamjets Dynamax set up on 12S. May be a bit nose heavy as I put in new 6000 mAh packs without checking the CG again.

RC Crafters nose gear strut has alot of play so the landing was sloppy.

So its going in for some maintenance to fix the nose gear slop, CG and a few other issues.
Beautiful flight and backdrop scenery Ken! Yeah. You only want a couple degrees nose wheel movement on landing. I had this jet and sold it after i got the airframe done.
Dec 28, 2019, 02:49 PM
Build'em and Crash'em
Took a look at the cockpit of my F/A -18, realized it really wasn't on par with the rest of the jet. I had some 3D print files that I made from the openhornet CAD so I printed out a set for my plane.

Also found STL files for an ejection seat, HUD and side panels over at hobbysquawk, designed by ELbee for the Freewing F-18. So I scaled these up a bit for the YA F-18

Kicked off the 3D printer and printed parts, broke out the airbrush for a little paint. Add some inkjet printed graphics

So now the Hornet has a decent cockpit.

I ordered a new pilot from JHH and a new canopy from Parkflyer plastics. Once those come in I can finish the cockpit up and recheck the CG.
Dec 28, 2019, 11:19 PM
Looks great Ken!
You're obviously having too much fun with that printer
Dec 29, 2019, 11:36 AM
Looking good Ken!
Jan 01, 2020, 04:33 PM
Build'em and Crash'em
Recieved my JHH pilot and the new canopy from parkflyer plastics
Painted the pilot, cut out the canopy

The cockpit upgrade is now complete

Checked the CG, just have to slide the batteries all the way back and it balances level.

Time to clean up the workbench
Jan 01, 2020, 05:41 PM
Looks great Ken!
Jan 09, 2020, 04:56 PM
Build'em and Crash'em
Thanks guys.

I took some picks with the new missiles
Jan 10, 2020, 12:25 AM
EDF Jet Jam 2019, June 13-16
Hi Ken,
itís looking really good.

Dan
Jan 22, 2020, 01:09 PM
"Elbee"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lapointe
Took a look at the cockpit of my F/A -18, realized it really wasn't on par with the rest of the jet. I had some 3D print files that I made from the openhornet CAD so I printed out a set for my plane.

Also found STL files for an ejection seat, HUD and side panels over at hobbysquawk, designed by ELbee for the Freewing F-18. So I scaled these up a bit for the YA F-18

Kicked off the 3D printer and printed parts, broke out the airbrush for a little paint. Add some inkjet printed graphics

So now the Hornet has a decent cockpit.

I ordered a new pilot from JHH and a new canopy from Parkflyer plastics. Once those come in I can finish the cockpit up and recheck the CG.
Ken, Your Hornet is exceptional. Love your cockpit detail, though I'm a bit bias. Best, Steve (LB) Thomas

Quick Reply