Thread Tools
Apr 02, 2003, 03:31 PM
Thread OP

Happy new Slow Stick owner.


So, I'm the happy new owner of a Slow Stick -- at least I will be as soon as it gets shipped to me. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas, but instead of continuing like that I thought I'd seek opinions from the knowledgable people here about what extra odds and ends I should think about getting in addition to the basics.

Here's what I ordered:

GWS Slow Stick
GWS 4ch Transmitter (Neg. Shift)
GWS Pico 4ch Rx + crystal
GWS MC2002 charger
2 x Naro Std+ Servos
1 x 800 MAh NiMH pack
2 x Deans male connectors for connecting my charger to the battery pack.

Clearly, I need more battery packs, but other than that what do you guys recommend for someone who is starting out to add to his kit? Thanks!

-Mark
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Apr 02, 2003, 03:58 PM
plane crazy
av8rOC's Avatar
Defenitely get yourself a couple of 12 x 6 props! The SS climbs better and slows down better with it. But maybe leave the stock 1180 on for the first couple flights becasue Im sure youll break it

Enjoy it! The SS is awesome.
Apr 02, 2003, 04:13 PM
Speed Controller? (did you buy a gws flight pack?) if not you will need to get one. Since you have a SS, you might consider getting something with a slightly higher amp rating to provide you options down the road.

SS was my first and I love it. Download the sim and practice....

regards,

Greg
Apr 02, 2003, 04:17 PM
Registered User
Hi Mark,
I didn't see an ESC on your list. At the very least you will need a 5 amp ESC such as the GWS CS100.
Apr 02, 2003, 04:30 PM
Lite foam wheels are nice to replace the stock wheels, which will break either on first ROG or first landing.

I've seen these wheels on other peoples planes. They're light and sturdy. I'm using foam lite dubros until I have enough other things to order to make it worth ordering.

Eric
Apr 02, 2003, 05:58 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally posted by Bat21
I didn't see an ESC on your list. At the very least you will need a 5 amp ESC such as the GWS CS100.
Doh, yes, I ordered an ESC. I got the GWS 400 on the recommendation of David at allerc.com. He was extremely helpful in talking me through the various components to make sure I had everything I needed to get airborne.

Thanks for the response.
Apr 02, 2003, 08:41 PM
**********
jbc455's Avatar
I have 10 battery packs when my pal and I fly our Slow Sticks, 2 are always charging, 2 flying, and the rest cooling off.

NiMH takes longer to fast charge than NiCD, so you might want to have a few packs all charged up before you go out if you want to get more than one flight in an hour.

John
Apr 02, 2003, 08:46 PM
Registered User
The Slowstick is Awesome & can be flown like Anywhere, everybody should have at least one if not two! So far I have yet to fly any of my Glow planes this year & may not ever again, I may just go electric only.

-Mike-
Apr 02, 2003, 09:02 PM
Registered User
thor4944's Avatar
AV8ROC = Where do you buy that type of prop......I cant find one anywhere...
Apr 02, 2003, 09:02 PM
Hooked Heli Human
gmaster's Avatar

Re: Happy new Slow Stick owner.


Quote:
Originally posted by NeuronBasher
So, I'm the happy new owner of a Slow Stick -- at least I will be as soon as it gets shipped to me. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas, but instead of continuing like that I thought I'd seek opinions from the knowledgable people here about what extra odds and ends I should think about getting in addition to the basics.

Here's what I ordered:

GWS Slow Stick
GWS 4ch Transmitter (Neg. Shift)
GWS Pico 4ch Rx + crystal
GWS MC2002 charger
2 x Naro Std+ Servos
1 x 800 MAh NiMH pack
2 x Deans male connectors for connecting my charger to the battery pack.

Clearly, I need more battery packs, but other than that what do you guys recommend for someone who is starting out to add to his kit? Thanks!

-Mark

Mark.. can you give us 'newbie' guys who are interested in purchasing a slow stick a ballpark figure on how much everything cost that you had to order.. thanks
Apr 02, 2003, 09:13 PM
Silent Flight
daveWCO's Avatar

Re: Happy new Slow Stick owner.


Mark:

It looks like you are set to go!

You might want to pick up some 5 minute epoxy, shipping tape and sand paper (for the tail feathers).

Personally, I'd go with an rx with more range.

Keep us posted on how things go!

daveWCO
Apr 02, 2003, 09:23 PM
plane crazy
av8rOC's Avatar
try www.allerc.com or www.aeromicro.com for the 1260
Apr 02, 2003, 10:36 PM
**********
jbc455's Avatar
Aircraft World has 2 packs of the 12x6 for $4.30.
Apr 02, 2003, 10:40 PM
Thread OP

Re: Re: Happy new Slow Stick owner.


Quote:
Originally posted by gmaster
Mark.. can you give us 'newbie' guys who are interested in purchasing a slow stick a ballpark figure on how much everything cost that you had to order.. thanks
Sure thing, though I am most definitely a 'newbie' myself. I ordered everything from www.allerc.com and it was just over $200 for everything on the list plus the GWS 400 speed controller that I forgot to mention the first time.

-Mark
Apr 02, 2003, 10:41 PM
Who's scaring the kittens
ViperR's Avatar
I'm a newbee also on parkfliers and I just got a SS. Can someone possibly give me the link for the FMS on the SS and also the part number for DuBro wheels to use on my SS. DuBro is just down the street from me and has a will-call counter to buy direct from them.
Thanks! Can't wait to get it airborne!


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools