Jun 25, 2009, 08:05 AM
Oleg Golovidov
Contest

ECHLGF-2009, Wilson, NC, September 25-27

Down East Soaring Society is pleased to announce the 8-th annual
East Coast Hand Launch Glider Festival on September 25-27, 2009
in Wilson, North Carolina.

Contest Director - Richard Proseus (DProseus)
On-line registration: ESL contest site
List of registered people so far: Registered pilots

• Fun fly, HLG seminar, one-on-one help clinic for beginners, and
    Pro/Am contest on Friday, September 25
  • F3K tasks with some modifications on Saturday and Sunday, September 26-27
  • Best pilots go into the Fly-Offs on Sunday
  • Free entry if this is your FIRST ever contest
  • Lunch provided on Saturday and Sunday
  • On-field dinner (possibly) on Saturday

Club web-site is here: www.downeastsoaringsociety.com
We will be posting more information as it becomes available. Watch this thread for more posts!

Here is a link to the Google map of the field: DESS field (Google map)
Use the link and the map to get directions to the field from your place!

Please, make your travel arrangements now and free up your last weekend in
September for this great event.

The preliminary plans include a seminar on Friday morning/noon time, then
likely a one-on-one help clinic with experts helping beginners with model
setup and flying, and then a Pro/Am contest to practice the contest tasks
for beginners! We may also try some other fun flying activities, like HL
cross-country, flying under the influence of beer, etc. Everybody is
invited to come and play on Friday
, even if you are too shy to fly in the
contest or don't have a flyable model. Come and watch the clinic.
Saturday and Sunday we will have our usual hard core competition with the
best pilots of the East Coast and hopefully several from the West Coast!
The Fly-Offs on Sunday are a huge spectacle for everybody.

Please, register early to reserve your frequency and show your
support! We would love to hear from you!

Post your thoughts, suggestions, expectations, etc. in this thread.
Last edited by olgol; Jul 06, 2009 at 09:20 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 25, 2009, 08:51 AM
Bruce Davidson
You guys have a great field to fly from and the contest always runs like a well oiled machine. I am looking forward to the last dance of the season. Count me in!

Bruce Davidson
Jun 25, 2009, 09:07 AM
Oleg Golovidov
Bruce, here is an official invitation and request for you to assist us with the clinic on Friday. As usual, we would like to help all new pilots with the basics of HL flying and especially contest flying. You and Phil Barnes are very good at show and tell.

Phil, I hope you are coming also, and if you can, it would be great to have both you and Bruce conduct the clinic on Friday.

I have one idea of a new thing to do during/after the clinic. We can do 1-2 rounds of simulated contest flying where 2 experienced pilots fly a certain task (say 5x2min or 1,2,3,4) and they describe what they are doing at all times. An "announcer" (Bruce?) can also describe to the "public" what is going on continuously. Could be a great teaching technique.
Jun 25, 2009, 09:31 AM
Bruce Davidson
What, you want me to talk about toy airplanes in front of a bunch of people...okay:-)

What ever I can do to help you can count on me. I like that idea of everyone watching you and Phil beat up on each other in a simulated contest while I give the blow by blow. I think a clinic that focuses on how to get the most out of a competition will be fun and informative for everyone.

Bruce
Jun 25, 2009, 09:47 AM
G_T
G_T
I'll be there, of course! This is a great contest for those who haven't been...

Gerald
Jun 25, 2009, 10:21 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Bruce,
If it will be the same speach as at Polecat, have Paul send you the video to play so you could go and take a break! LOL
Jun 25, 2009, 10:27 AM
Tom Shupe
ECHLGF 2007 was the first contest I ever attended. These guys did an excellent job of teaching the basics of contest strategy during the Friday clinic. They give you enough information to make it through Saturday and Sunday without feeling like a clueless n00b.

The biggest fear I had when I went to this contest wasn't that I would do poorly (I new I would.) It was that I would make a rookie mistake that would screw up one of the seasoned veterans. If you have never watched a contest before....the better guys tend to bunch up in a downwind corner of the field. This gives a lot of space for new guys to get away from the pack and concentrate on learning the tasks and rhythm of a contest. If anyone is new, and considering attending their first contest....ECHLGF would be an excellent place to start. (plus...it is FREE for new guys )
Jun 25, 2009, 11:20 AM