Lumenier RB2205C-12 2400KV SKITZO Ceramic Bearing Motor
Old Apr 01, 2003, 07:23 PM
Find More Posts by SnoJetter

Sterling Sukhoi conversion

After my successful conversion of the Guillows P-51, I decided to tackle the Sterling Sukhoi. I found the wood to be VERY light and after the initial frame-up, I was worried that the structure would be too weak for R/C. I may be proven right, but we'll see. I omitted 3 of the 7 ribs in each wing, and installed shear webbing along the "spars" (which are actually 1/16" strip stock). The wing is very stiff - it may fall off in flight, but it sure ain't gonna break. I opted to mount full span ailerons off the trailing edge of the wing rather than cut into the wing to make the whole process simpler.
Last edited by SnoJetter; Apr 01, 2003 at 07:53 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2003, 07:38 PM
The landing gear mount needed obvious reinforcement. The fuse included this one rib-shaped piece of balsa which happened to be the hardest piece of balsa in the kit. The landing gear wire is sandwhiched between two fuse formers. What I did was tie the landing gear into the this central piece and it really stiffened things up.
Old Apr 01, 2003, 07:44 PM
Here's the bare frame...
Old Apr 01, 2003, 07:50 PM
...and the partially covered airframe. The wings are permanently mounted and there wasn't much to get a hold onto, so I hope they don't fall off in mid flight. Covering is Solite. It's gonna be full 4-channel, and it should have plenty of control surface area. Will be interesting to see how aerobatic it will be. Power is from a GWS IPS geared 3.5:1 with a 7.5x5.5 graupner prop for starters. When I get an ESC freed up, I can finish this this project. Stay tune,

Kyle Sands <>< Huntley, MN
Last edited by SnoJetter; Apr 01, 2003 at 07:56 PM.
Old Apr 01, 2003, 08:03 PM
Find More Posts by CAFplanekid
De-Brushed user
I hope it turns out well, because Hobby Lobby has them on sale alot for 4 dollars, so i bought 1. Good luck