Jun 20, 2009, 09:05 PM
The best in EDF since 2005
Thread OP
Discussion

Just another plane...

Well I am determined to get started on the Hunter today even if I have to wear oxygen to keep going (this flu strain really is quite nasty down under)

So I will glue the wing together later on and set up the servos, the wing is very simple, one basic join and then servos and horns.

I will try and get some more pics of the parts as they come out of the box, they have even included the wing aerial and it looks very cool!
Last edited by Extreme_RC; Sep 12, 2010 at 06:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 20, 2009, 09:11 PM
Thread OP
Ok I managed to get everything out and on the table for a looksee!

I started with the canopy, gotta start small when your body aches from the flu I use a very high quality double sided tape, its plastic backed, used for curtain hanging, a friend graciously supplied me with a few rolls and the stuff is incredibly strong. This is tape only, no foam, I find the lander tape to be a little weak for holding the canopy etc down, its easy to pull the canopy off when trying to lift up the battery hatch.

First pic shows the panel to cover the front wheel well, nicely made panels, you can see where I have laid the tape down ready to fit it.

Second pic shows the battery tray, I have fitted both trays and plan to glue a balsa block on the lower one to bring it up to the same height, this will give me plenty of movement and strength. I use Velcro brand strap as I like the genuine stuff and had it on hand, the velcro supplied does work fine though.

Now you can also see where I have sliced the paint off the join surfaces, I remove the paint with a new snapoff blade, if you do it slowly you can remove the paint only, no need to remove all of it, just a reasonable cleaning so the glue joints adhere well.

Third pic shows the pushrod layout, here is the first area come to so far where I am not 100% happy. The angle on the rods needed to keep them out of the duct is going to need some real scalloping of the foam otherwise they bind quite a lot. Also the plastic guide tubes are not long enough, they should be 20cm longer so they go past the ESC position, this will mean no chance of things snagging and the ESC and wiring can be taped down into place making for a much smoother inlet. I will suggest to Tim he replace the tubes with longer ones.

Fourth pic shows the lower nose ass glued in place, note the arrow in the pic, this joint needs epoxy pushed into it, there is a molding that the factory has glued in but they have not used epoxy, I really wish they would use epoxy when doing assembly work, much better than the stuff used.

I have fitted the wing servos into place to check layout, it appears someone wasnt thinking of the flaps being connected with a Y lead as they are mirror imaged and the servos will operate like ailerons unless mixed. Both servo horns should have been pointing towards the same wingtip.

Am feeling pretty crappy so thats it for tonight, will work on the wing setup tomorrow, and will try and get some plastic guide tubes from the LHS, I know they are available from great planes? I think.
Last edited by Extreme_RC; Jun 21, 2009 at 06:36 AM.
Jun 21, 2009, 07:07 PM
Insta: Check5_Av8r
Lookin' good so far!
Man, I'm loving all the extra added details they keep adding on each new model!
Hope you feel much better soon!

Vic
Jun 21, 2009, 07:12 PM
hole digger
It's gotta be a lot of fun building with the Flu but I am really looking foward to this build thread.

Pete
Jun 21, 2009, 07:28 PM
Mark,
In the third pic, I'm assuming that those are the split-elevator pushrod guides... If so, are they supported anywhere along the way? (other than the exits) I think you have the right idea of taping/gluing them to the sides of the fuse though, and that would also keep them from being loose in there.
Noone like a sloppy elevator...

Vic
Jun 21, 2009, 07:31 PM
Thread OP
They say to hot glue them down but I want to try and get longer tubes first and then I need to work on the exit point to get the kink out as much as possible, otherwise there will be quite a bit of binding as the rods are pretty stiff.
Latest blog entry: Extreme RC AUSTRALIA
Jun 21, 2009, 07:33 PM
Gotcha,
I know Dubro and Sullivan make some nice long pushrod assemblies (guides and pushrods) for various sized birds.
Bummer that it's not 100% there on the production Hunter...
Oh well, nobody's perfect. I'm sure this thing is gonna fly friggin sweet!

Vic
Jun 21, 2009, 09:59 PM

Hawker Hunter push robs installation update

Dear all,

Attached is some installation update information of RCLanader Hawker Hunter elevator and rudder push robs for sharing with all of you. Also it will be updated our website accordingly for download purpose.

If you have any question, please feel free to contact us.

Best regards,
Tim
Last edited by Tim Wan; May 23, 2010 at 02:47 AM.
Jun 21, 2009, 10:08 PM
Thread OP
After reviewing the photos it is much more obvious how Tim intended the guide tubes to be used!

It appears they do not protrude out of the fuselage like I would expect based on past building experience, they are actually laid down either side of the trench and glued into place a few inches from the exit point of the pushrod itself.

Thanks for the photos Tim, much easier to see how things are positioned.
Latest blog entry: Extreme RC AUSTRALIA
Jun 22, 2009, 11:45 AM
Foam abuser!
Mark,

Watching with interest. Hope you get over that nasty flu soon!

Pat
Jun 22, 2009, 02:30 PM
Have you seen my nut?
Knowing your love for speed, I am guessing you have the 4 or 6s set up?
Drink a few hot totties. Granted I dont think they cure anything, but they sure to make ya feel better.
Jun 22, 2009, 02:43 PM
Micro EDF addict
I was gonna get this but $219 was a little pricey for an ARF.... So I'm not sure yet.
Jun 22, 2009, 04:21 PM
Lipo abuser ... smoke on!
Man, who is this 'rob' guy that keeps getting pushed around in all the RCLander instruction manuals
Latest blog entry: D100
Jun 22, 2009, 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gp125racer
Man, who is this 'rob' guy that keeps getting pushed around in all the RCLander instruction manuals
LOLZ!!!
Jun 22, 2009, 05:11 PM
Jimbo and the Jet Set
Quote:
Originally Posted by gp125racer
Don't you just wish it was you with all those lovely models

Quick Reply