This thread is privately moderated by jetset44, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 20, 2009, 01:03 AM
Park Jet Guru
Thread OP
Download

F-14 Tomcat Park Jet

The F-14 is easily the most popular of all the park jets I've developed. Everybody loves the full-scale Tomcat (due in no small part to the movie Top Gun!), and an easy to fly parkflyer version of the Tomcat was bound to be popular. While an absolute pussycat in the air, the F-14 is one of the more challenging park jets to build due to the wing sweep mechanism. But it's not hard to build. If you haven't built a park jet before, I'd recommend starting with the F-15 or similar first to learn the basic techniques, and then try the F-14.

Specs:
Wing area: 220 sq in
Span: 40.7” fully unswept, 24.7” fully swept
Length: 39.8 in
Weight RTF: 20 to 24 oz
Wing loading: 14 oz/ft2
Motor: Himax 2015-4100 with 4.4 gearing
Battery: Thunder Power 11.1V 1320 mAh Lipo
Prop: APC 9x7.5 SF
Flight controls: Tailerons, wing sweep, rudder (optional)

The flight characteristics of this model are excellent. It is very aerobatic, has a wide speed range, and is smooth and predictable in flight. It is well-mannered at both low speeds and high speeds, and with the wings both swept and unswept. As you would expect, there are significant differences in how this model handles with different wing sweep angles. With the wings fully unswept, it responds quickly in pitch but is a little sluggish in roll. With the wings fully swept, it is a little sluggish in pitch but lightning quick in roll. For me personally, I’ve found that a mid-sweep position seems to offer the best control harmony in pitch and roll.

Mixing is required to keep this model trimmed with different wing sweep settings, but it's easy to set up. Just program a 5% mix so that ¼” up elevator is added as the wing sweeps aft. The reason for this is because as the wings sweep aft, the center of pressure moves aft a lot but the center of gravity doesn’t move aft nearly as much. This results in a nose-down pitching moment that requires up elevator to compensate. But with the mixing, you can change the wing sweep at any time in flight and the airplane always stays trimmed.

Useful links:

Build Thread: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=374502

Kits available from: www.6mmflyrc.com (including clear canopies and laser cut plywood parts for scratchbuilders)

Decals: GotrekGurnisson has developed several BEAUTIFUL decals sets for this model. They are available for free on his RC Groups blog: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=89637

Construction article published in: Model Airplane News, May 2006

Flight video:
F-14 Park Jet (3 min 26 sec)
Last edited by jetset44; Mar 12, 2015 at 12:07 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 25, 2009, 11:02 AM
Beautiful!
Sep 13, 2009, 05:58 PM
just started on mine today! do you remember or possibly have written down what the wing sweep parts ended up weighing? just the wood parts without foam servo or push rods. im contemplating using a light alloy for part of it. thanks!
Sep 13, 2009, 10:19 PM
Park Jet Guru
Thread OP
Sounds great! If I remember right, the wood parts for center wing box alone weighed about 1.5 oz total.

Alloy, huh? I'll be interested to see how that turns out!
Sep 14, 2009, 08:18 PM
i think weight may become the biggest set back i will likely need to modify the way its built keeping the servo tray and parts in the wing as light ply.

with 12 credit school and work things are getting REALLY crazy will post back once i get it figured out!
Jun 14, 2013, 11:34 PM

f-14 tomcat

Hello Mr.steve shumate, honestly I really feel proud of your design, especially for F-14 tomcat and F-22 raptor. so, for my question may I change the specs of elec tronics two of them that you're suggested??
and would it be stabilized if I use the specs as brushless motor 2212-06 (2200kv), esc 30A, and the servos, 2x hxt 900+ plus 1x turnigy Mg 90s by using power 2200 mah 3sIP 30c since here is a little bit hard to find out the your specs. OK, I think that's all. I hope you can respond questions. thnks!!! have something fun
Jun 16, 2013, 01:21 PM
Park Jet Guru
Thread OP
Hello mukhlis,
Yes, that equipment would work just fine in either the F-14 or F-22. The F-22 was sized for a slightly smaller motor and batter, so you might want to scale it up by 10% to 20% for best results. But it would fly OK at the current scale, too. Good luck!

Steve
Jun 20, 2013, 06:59 AM

Steve's F-14 tomcat and F-22 raptor

allright, thank so much for the best solution!! best regard for you
Last edited by mukhlis1010; Jun 20, 2013 at 08:28 AM.
Jan 29, 2015, 11:44 AM

f14

Do you have a thrustline for the motor as I want to use a different motor and wondered how far from the centre of the 3/8 sq motor mount the spindle is
Jan 29, 2015, 02:46 PM
Park Jet Guru
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviationmodeler
Do you have a thrustline for the motor as I want to use a different motor and wondered how far from the centre of the 3/8 sq motor mount the spindle is
Take a look at the assembly drawing in post 1, it shows the motor and thrustline. That said, the thrustline is not critical on this model, so whatever setup you're planning will likely work fine.

Quick Reply