Feb 16, 2011, 04:50 PM
Danger! Danger!
I know I'm a bit late to the party, but I'm wondering what your TT-62's AUW was? Thank you.
to remove ads between posts
May 19, 2011, 07:43 PM

Suggestions

I just ordered the TT-62 Aleckto from Nitro Planes. It was on sale for $110 so I could not pass it up. I plan to use Scorpion motors (equivalent of Eflite 46), 4s 5000mah Lipos and larger wheels (I fly off a grass field).

Are there any suggestions you pilots can make on building and flying this model.
Thanks,
Vic
Jun 02, 2011, 08:52 PM

Quality

I got the TT-62 and for a sports plane, it looks OK. I have some issues with the quality of the fiberglass fuse that I have contacted Nitro Planes about.

More news at eleven....
Jun 18, 2011, 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iflyrc_vic View Post
I got the TT-62 and for a sports plane, it looks OK. I have some issues with the quality of the fiberglass fuse that I have contacted Nitro Planes about.

More news at eleven....
Nitro planes offered me an entire replacement kit. Just put it back in the box and send it back for a new (different) kit. I have done this before with other manufacturers and ended up with a new kit with different problems. I decided to keep the original kit.
Jul 20, 2011, 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iflyrc_vic View Post
Nitro planes offered me an entire replacement kit. Just put it back in the box and send it back for a new (different) kit. I have done this before with other manufacturers and ended up with a new kit with different problems. I decided to keep the original kit.
I should have got the replacement as this kit is also missing parts.
Jul 21, 2011, 10:54 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Send it back?
Just a word of warning I've found.
If this is a CMPro, The older CMPro Fiberglass kits are not so good. I have the Spitfire 120 and saw the BF109.
CMPro's newer lazer cut plywood and balsa stuff is amazing. I have the L4 an PT-19 and they are great.

If your not happy, ask to box it up and return it for refund or exchange for something else before it's too late.
Jul 21, 2011, 11:44 AM

Return

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
Send it back?
Just a word of warning I've found.
If this is a CMPro, The older CMPro Fiberglass kits are not so good. I have the Spitfire 120 and saw the BF109.
CMPro's newer lazer cut plywood and balsa stuff is amazing. I have the L4 an PT-19 and they are great.

If your not happy, ask to box it up and return it for refund or exchange for something else before it's too late.
You are probably right. I should stop now and return the kit. I have started building with only little done (control surfaces and landing gear). As I said previously, I have returned kits for exchange and got a new kit with different problems. So far, this one has issues but I think I will stay with this kit.
Jul 21, 2011, 12:19 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
ok, let us know how it goes. I'm curious.
Jul 22, 2011, 10:46 AM

Alekto Assembly - Canopy

While I am waiting on the 36 inch push rod I ordered from Tower Hobbies for the rudder, I am going to assemble the canopy - install the frame inside the plastic canopy. This is sometimes assembled in other ARFs. I have done this for other planes and it normally is an issue to get it to fit properly. This one is no different.

First you have to make adjustments to get the frame to fit. Then you need to trim the canopy. the canopy is over-sized and overlaps the gap between the canopy and fuse. You can leave it as is but it has trim lines embossed in the plastic.

Then attach the canopy to the frame while lining it up to fit the fuse - this is the hard part. I normally just "tac" glue the canopy to the frame then make final adjustments while gluing the remaining contacts between the frame and canopy.

This is not an easy job if the frame is not a good fit in the fuse (this one is a good fit). If this is not done properly, you end up with a poor fit with gaps between the canopy and the fuse - UGLY!
Last edited by Iflyrc_vic; Jul 22, 2011 at 11:21 AM.
Jul 22, 2011, 04:42 PM

Canopy Assembly

Got the frame installed inside the canopy. I had to use a piece of balsa around the outside edges and then sand it for a good fit. Very little about assembly of the canopy and frame in the manual. It came out pretty good!

BTW - Flyboytha, I have no intentions of taking over your thread. I just wanted to point out some problems with the design of the plane and some building tips that were left out of the manual.
Last edited by Iflyrc_vic; Jul 22, 2011 at 04:49 PM.
Jul 31, 2011, 08:04 AM

ESC Mounts

I did not see a good place to mount the ESCs in the forward radio compartment so I fabricated a couple of mounts out of scrap ply and balsa and mounted them on the wall inside the fuse just behind the wings. The 80 amp DualSky ESCs have a kill switch that allow you to shut off the power to the motor even when the battery is connected. This allows you to install and connect the batteries without "arming" the ESCs (great feature).
Aug 02, 2011, 07:12 PM

Motor Testing

I have not seen much in the way of replies on this thread so I may just be posting this for the record. I got the motors and nacelles mounted and conducted some motor testing on the Hyperion Zs 3025-8 motors. I got almost the exact output as advertised. I did not check the RPMs but the props were really zinging. Here are my results:

10 x 7E APC 2-Blade Prop
15.34 Volts (4S)
49.8 Amps
764 Watts

9 x 7 MAS 3-blade prop
15.18 Volts (4S)
42.9 Amps
652 Watts

From reports by other modelers who have flown this plane, either of these props will produce adequate power to fly this model well. Since I have not completed the assembly, I don't know what the AUW is but I am guessing it will be 10-11 lbs.
Last edited by Iflyrc_vic; Aug 02, 2011 at 07:18 PM.
Aug 06, 2011, 09:40 AM

Finishing up

I have now moved into the final stages of building this and have run into yet another issue. The horizontal stabilizer has a cutout that mates with the top of the vertical stabilizer. The horizontal stabilizer "socket" fits over a "plug" at the top of the vertical stabilizer and is secured with two screws.

On my model, the "plug" at the top of the vertical stabilizer is misaligned both in the horizontal plain and in front to back alignment with the fuse. This results in the horizontal stabilizer being down on one side and up on the other by nearly 3/4 of an inch. It also results in the horizontal stabilizer not being parallel with the main wing (tip to tip). As the "plug" at the top of the vertical stabilizer is molded a part of the fiberglass fuse, there is no easy way to adjust the position of the plug.

I made up a "shim" to correct the horizontal misalignment and cutout the "socket" in the horizontal stabilizer to allow it to be twisted around to get it parallel to the main wing.

This is yet another example of the POOR quality of this model. Maybe it will fly better than it was fabricated.
Last edited by Iflyrc_vic; Aug 06, 2011 at 10:09 AM.
Aug 11, 2011, 05:20 PM

Finished

OK, I am done with this bird. Everything is finished with the exception of setting up a mount for the batteries and receiver. I broke down and purchased two 6mm socket head bolts for the wings as they were missing in the kit. I found that I had to "lubricate" my wrist joint to allow me to bend and twist enough to install the wing bolts - looks easy but NOT.

I finally received an email from Nitro Planes that said "we do not carry replacement parts for this plane". Not a real big surprise as they don't carry replacement parts for most of the models they sell - BAD JUJU! A modeler should consider this when making any purchase, especially a model with a fiberglass fuse,nose cone and canopy. If you crash it (or break it in transport) you will have to buy a whole new kit. Not bad mouthing Nitro Planes, but just stating the facts.

I will maiden this plane in the next two weeks. Wish me luck....
Aug 26, 2011, 03:03 PM

Bottom hatch

One more thing I modified was the bottom hatch. It came as a thin piece of plastic that was intended to be attached with screws. That would be a pain to install and remove each time at the field to gain access to the wing bolts. So I borrowed an idea from another modeler that worked out well.

First I glued on pieces of balsa to make a frame to stiffen up the thin plastic hatch. The frame fits into the hatch opening in the bottom of the plane. Kind of tricky but not rocket science.

Then I installed a piece of thin ply on the back edge of the frame that slides below the inside lip of the hatch opening. This holds down the back edge of the hatch.

Then came the ingenious part. Install a small piece of music wire that slides over the front lip of the hatch opening.

To install the hatch, first slide the music wire into the front of the hatch opening allowing it to slide below the lip of the opening. Then pull up on the hatch to allow it to slide forward with the wire below the lip and the frame above the lip. The wire holds down the front edge of the hatch. Now, slide the hatch to the back allowing the thin ply piece to slide below the rear lip of the hatch. Viola!
Last edited by Iflyrc_vic; Aug 27, 2011 at 07:10 AM.

Quick Reply