Jun 13, 2009, 06:20 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

V Tail Swallow

Here's some pics of my V Tail Swallow for the Speed 400 event. I test flew it this afternoon with good results, although I'm going to tweak the control throws a bit and twist in a little washout.
It's an interesting airplane to build, with a box spar built up of 1/16" sheet and stab ribs formed of bent strips. I had to dream up a way to build the all-flying tail and got some help from Eut Tileston with control throws and balance point.
It's covered with Microlite and the "Brown Junior" up front is cut, rolled and bent from cardstock. The wing is 300 sq. in. and it weighs 14 ounces ready to fly.
It looks great in the air and was well worth the effort.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 13, 2009, 07:35 PM
Flyer, looks great. Ive never seen an all flying V tail before. How much movement / deflection are you going to use?
Jun 13, 2009, 08:23 PM
Thread OP
I'm using 15 degrees....15 total on low rate and 15 each way on hi. Low rate is a little sluggish and hi is a little sensitive, so I'm going to try for about 20 degrees for the next flight.
Jun 13, 2009, 11:31 PM
Mmmm...balsa dust!
Very pretty! Adding the faux Brown Jr. was a great touch. I bought the V-Tail Swallow semi-kit from Harry Klarich back in '05 but have not gotten to it yet. Thanks for the inspiration.

Doug
Jun 14, 2009, 04:18 AM
Oh what a beauty,
I fancy the tapered box spar made an interesting build ! . I wonder what wing section you have used ?
Nicely finished model.
Well done
Chris
Jun 14, 2009, 08:19 AM
Thread OP
The plans identify the airfoil as an "Eiffel 400".
Yes, the box spar was a bit of a challenge, but it seems to be very light and stiff in torsion. Since it runs through square holes in the ribs there's a lot of fitting involved.
Jun 14, 2009, 10:55 AM
The faux engine is a nice touch. In most cases, the old time gas models converted to electric just don't look "right" without them.

I'm surprised that none of the more enterprising laser cutters have picked up on making a series of these as a sideline.
Jun 14, 2009, 12:17 PM
Thread OP
I agree, so much of the character of old timers is that cylinder sticking up! Many of the old engines are pretty simple affairs and could be easily done with a laser-cut kit of paper and ply. Mine is all card stock (mostly magazine blow-in cards!) because it was easy to cut (hence the wobbly fins) but a combination of card and thin ply would make a nice piece.
I picked the Brown because all but one of the fins are the same diameter and the bypass on the real one is just a brazed-on piece of folded metal. The spark plug is a piece of dowel shaped a little in a drill press, a nut and a piece of brass. It was a fun one evening project.
Jun 15, 2009, 09:04 PM
Thermals, Tom
Nice work. I had little interest in this event, till now
Latest blog entry: Steak and Old Timers

Quick Reply