This thread is privately moderated by Darth_Elevator, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 09, 2009, 06:44 PM
How do I change this text?
Thread OP
Discussion

Slow Stick Building Tips

1. Use epoxy to glue on the tail feathers. Also use the screws that come with the kit. Do not use the double-sided tape that comes with the kit.

2. Use epoxy and tape to secure the wing stiffeners to the trailing and leading edges of the wing. Also, epoxy and tape the transparent, plastic wing guide to the wing for extra strength to keep the wing from folding up in a dive or loop. Use your own packing tape, not the tape that comes in the kit. Carlyle only uses tape on his wing stiffeners and his have held well. So if you want to save the weight, skip the epoxy. But if you're planning on carrying a payload, such as a camera or a bomb dropper, I recommend you don't skip the epoxy.

3. Screw on the motor mount to the fuselage stick. Do not merely glue it on or it will find a way to come off at the most inopportune time.

4. Use industrial strength velcro to mount the components instead of the cheap velcro that comes in the kit.

5. Put 3 degrees of right thrust and 3 degrees of down thrust on the motor. This can usually be done with a few washers on the motor bolts, where the motor bolts on to the mount. If you need teeny washers, check Ace Hardware in Kaysville. They have a million of 'em.

6. AFTER everything is built and you have CG figured out, and preferrably even after the maiden flight when you for sure have CG nailed down, I like to put just a spot of super glue to the front and back of the servo tray, to keep it from slipping along the fuselage. If you ever need to adjust them, you can pop the superglue off fairly easily with a razor blade. I used to use tape until one day the adhesive released when the plane was sitting in the hot sun.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply