Jun 09, 2009, 02:53 AM
Lee Liddle
Thread OP
Build Log

X-Treme Jets 1/7.5 Rafale or How I`ll spend my Summer vacation (and all my money)

I just pulled the trigger on this. I picked up a plain white new airframe from the "other" classifieds for $650 including shipping.

The plan is to use an upgraded version of the twin 90mm fan system from my Falcon 120 to power this thing at about 8kw, gobbs of efflux speed and hopefully 20lbs of thrust.

I`m not into gray cammo, so I plan to do a full out custom airshow type paint scheme of some sort. I`m open to suggestions on the paint.

The specs are:
span 59"
length 82"
wt aprox 20lbs
to remove ads between posts
Jun 09, 2009, 02:57 AM
Team White Llama!
congrats, that thing looks awesome. and on the twin 90's, it'll be ballistic.

OT:

did you ever finish the predator?
Jun 09, 2009, 03:08 AM
Lee Liddle
Thread OP
No I haven`t. I will probably get it going this Summer sometime. I was kind of stuck on it because I figured out that with the fan in the stock location it would be super nose-heavy. But I`ve come up with a way to install the fan in through the back of the fuse (without making another hatch). That will get the weight pushed back and I should have plenty of room for batteries both in the canopy area and through the main hatch, where ever they need to go for the cg. So it`s back on with the Predator at some point.
Jun 09, 2009, 03:19 AM
Team White Llama!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife Liddle
No I haven`t. I will probably get it going this Summer sometime. I was kind of stuck on it because I figured out that with the fan in the stock location it would be super nose-heavy. But I`ve come up with a way to install the fan in through the back of the fuse (without making another hatch). That will get the weight pushed back and I should have plenty of room for batteries both in the canopy area and through the main hatch, where ever they need to go for the cg. So it`s back on with the Predator at some point.

keep us posted, perhaps carnards are the way to go for the nose heavy sitaution?
Jun 09, 2009, 04:16 AM
smug in granny panties
wonder how close it is to FB rafale, cause I already have inlet plugs for that, that might get ya along the road from my twin raf build.

Barry
Jun 09, 2009, 04:21 AM
knife Little, i saw one of those Extreme Jet rafale the other day and was also thinking "mmm" Twin 90's , after seeing your falcon go i think it could power quite a few large EDF's, as a TF4000 setup is alot more expensive than the twin 90's. Ive been keen to do a flying wing similar to the falcon 120 with twin 90's after seeing yours, I see tam is doing a Carf hawk with two of his fans, i want to do the same with my Jetlegend hawk with twin Midi's. pic below shows the configuration i was keen to try.

Simon
Jun 09, 2009, 05:05 AM
My project: FAIREY DELTA 1
Quote:
I`m not into gray cammo, so I plan to do a full out custom airshow type paint scheme of some sort. I`m open to suggestions on the paint.
A pink plane ! Saw it on a sub too. Easy to locate!
Jun 09, 2009, 07:05 AM
Lee Liddle
Thread OP
Sorry Erik, I don`t do pink, but thanks for the "idea" LOL
Jun 09, 2009, 07:10 AM
Lee Liddle
Thread OP
Crazy, I like your airflow diagram. I was looking at he Gripen and was planning to do something like that, but the Rafale was a good buy at $650 and even adapts better to a twin so I bought it.

Those are some cool mods to the Roo you`ve got there. I`ll bet it will do back flips.
Jun 09, 2009, 07:26 AM
Lee Liddle
Thread OP
Quote:
after seeing your falcon go i think it could power quite a few large EDF's, as a TF4000 setup is a lot more expensive than the twin 90's.
The TF-4000 is a great fan for some applications. I saw a video of a SM Gripen powered by one, but it was limited to about 130mph and only had a .7/1 thrust to weight ratio. It flew OK, but not what I`m looking for.

The TF is limited to about 14lbs of thrust and as a 120mm it`s limited to lower efflux speeds than what a HiPo 90 will be able to do. It takes both thrust and efflux speed to make the big planes perform. That` why the twin 90 is perfect for a plane like this.

With the twin 90 you can get up to 19 to 20 lbs of thrust and who knows how fast for the efflux. I need to get a new air speed sensor for my ET. After flying my fat draggy Falcon with plastic fans I`m very excited about a plane like this.

As I work on the Rafale, I`m going to up-grade the power system in the Falcon so that it will be ready to push the Rafale around like a turbine.
Jun 09, 2009, 07:31 AM
Lee Liddle
Thread OP
Quote:
wonder how close it is to FB Rafale, cause I already have inlet plugs for that, that might get ya along the road from my twin raf build.
Hey Barry, I think they are very close. The span and length as almost identical. Maybe you could send me some pics, or just post them here and that will give us an idea.

As soon as I get the plane, maybe by the weekend I`ll be posting pics as stuff. Trial fitting fans etc etc.
Jun 09, 2009, 07:53 AM
Quote:
The TF-4000 is a great fan for some applications.
KL, sorry about the typo i meant a "TF8000 setup", im sure two 90's are putting out as much oomph for way less $. are you going to try two Midi's next? im thinking either two 2900watt 10s setups or two 3600watt 12s setups. what two neu motors would be right for this?
Im hoping the Roo go as fast as your falcon, and backflips

Simon
Jun 09, 2009, 12:57 PM
Lee Liddle
Thread OP
Yes the TF8000 is a BEAST!! For the Rafale, I`m thinking that I may up-grade to carbon-fiber rotors, maybe DS-51s or maybe modified TJ-100s if I can talk Tam into helping me with that. I`m going to do some bench work an find a combo that I like, that will give good performance and duration without too much weight. I`ll be posting when I get to that point.
Jun 09, 2009, 01:31 PM
My project: FAIREY DELTA 1
Don't hold your breath for a TF8000. I have seen the fan in action last season and it could not fly WOT due to heat issues (packs/motor/esc??) 80% of the flight was at half throttle or less. only WOT at climbs,1 or 2 speed passes and minor climbs.

Not my ticket
Jun 09, 2009, 07:55 PM
Team White Llama!
Quote:
The TF-4000 is a great fan for some applications. I saw a video of a SM Gripen powered by one, but it was limited to about 130mph and only had a .7/1 thrust to weight ratio. It flew OK, but not what I`m looking for.

The TF is limited to about 14lbs of thrust and as a 120mm it`s limited to lower efflux speeds than what a HiPo 90 will be able to do. It takes both thrust and efflux speed to make the big planes perform. That` why the twin 90 is perfect for a plane like this.

With the twin 90 you can get up to 19 to 20 lbs of thrust and who knows how fast for the efflux. I need to get a new air speed sensor for my ET. After flying my fat draggy Falcon with plastic fans I`m very excited about a plane like this.

As I work on the Rafale, I`m going to up-grade the power system in the Falcon so that it will be ready to push the Rafale around like a turbine.

i've seen a number of those falcon 120's fly in person. yours does fly like a turbine.

Quick Reply