Jun 17, 2009, 04:12 PM
Thread OP
come in for this

http://web2.airmail.net/sfrank69/NEFI/

they will be doing combat all of the 3 days...
to remove ads between posts
Jun 17, 2009, 05:55 PM
3D wannabe
All I need now is a calm day for the maiden . AUW came in just under 9 ounces (8.95).
Jun 17, 2009, 07:27 PM
Buzzsaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Jerry
Thanks for the response. I'm eager to test one of these, but if it's new designs you're after I'm betting it's tough to beat the Killer in streamer combat given it's rather long wingspan (relative to it's overall length). I'd imagine those big wings make an excellent streamer clipping surface.

Do you guys run many weekend events? I'm in Indianapolis, so getting up to Muncie on week night is pretty tough for me.

Also, how are the streamers attached?
A week from this Friday,Saturday and Sunday, Sandy's having a 3 day Fly In at the AMA.We will have one site for combat only and everyone should have plenty of streamers to chase.

Here's our Saturday's schedule: Combat will be at Hagerstown next to the airport.We start around 10 and fly till 5 or 6 in the afternoon.
July 11th
August the 1st
Sept.the 5th.
Oct. the 3rd.
Buzzy

We just tape the streamers to the bottom of the fuslage. We don't use any leaders just the streamers.

If you go to our site below ,this is how we keep track of when we are flying during the week.http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ww2ecombat/
Jun 17, 2009, 09:30 PM
Cheapskate Parkflyer
So I did as the doc ordered and put my motor on a stick. It worked great, and this plane is a true killer! I am going to keep with this style of building as it is economical, and with my schedule I rather spend time building a plane in one day without worries about crashing. I was building full fuse time consuming projects but this is both fun to build and fly. I'm gonna make some changes and try to add my own style to it as well as a couple of other designs on here. I'm now trying to convince all the guys to tape streamers to their planes so I can chase em around!

here is the vid.

Muncie group F&F Streamer combat design (2 min 59 sec)
Jun 18, 2009, 04:49 AM
3D wannabe
Looks like it flies great ArmyFlight, good job.

Edit: Build a loaner plane. That's what helped me get combat going around here.
Last edited by smokejohnson; Jun 18, 2009 at 05:32 AM.
Jun 18, 2009, 05:56 AM
RIP Azarr - "Old age is not for sissies"
FWIW, we've found that with the severe angle of the pushrods from using one aileron servo you get differential in the wrong direction (more down than up) resulting in non axial rolls. It can be eliminated by either using a servo arm with the rod attachment point ahead of the center line of the output gear or by moving the surface horn about 1/8" behind the hinge line. Makes for much better rolls on this plane.

Azarr
Jun 18, 2009, 06:42 AM
Buzzsaw
Some of our guys are extending the ailerons towards the center line of the plane a little more to decrease the angle a little.
Buzzy
Jun 18, 2009, 07:08 AM
Thread OP
I do not get out much

and out of boredom have built about 20 each...

we will do some combat at:::

http://web2.airmail.net/sfrank69/NEFI/

see the above files...

it is TONS of "FUN" !!!
Jun 18, 2009, 08:29 AM
Cheapskate Parkflyer
Yeah smoke, I bought enough gear for 4 planes so I will put together a "loaner". Azarr, I will take note of that for my next plane. I built this one quick and dirty so I don't even know if the control horns are the same length! But, it is super fun to roll in on someone from above....kinda top gun. I'm glad hobby city just got in the turnigy batteries, all my lipos are 1500mah 3s or bigger....need some 1300mah 2s and smaller. I only have one 1600mah 2s.
Last edited by ArmyFlight; Jun 18, 2009 at 06:45 PM.
Jun 18, 2009, 01:32 PM
Buzzsaw
Nice vid Army Flight.This is what I like about this plane you can mod it to your own likeings.They are quick and dirty to build and once you get the cg right you can cut out a stack of them in one afternoon.They also make a good sport flyer because it takes away the pucker factor when you get a little crazy trying some new moves you wouldn't think of with other planes.They just seem to hang on the wing tip in a tight turn and don't seem to want to drop off.
Buzzy
Jun 20, 2009, 11:31 AM
3D wannabe
Nothing but good news on the flight reports, video at 11:00 . For real my buddy did get some video today I will provide a link when he post them.

I think I will have to increase the size of the ailerons on my next one, they're just not fast enough for me. I did notice what Azarr is talking about with the roll differential. Hmmm...a longer servo arm would give me less angle on the rods and more throw. (scurries off to the shop to experiment)
Jun 20, 2009, 01:45 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokejohnson
Nothing but good news on the flight reports, video at 11:00 . For real my buddy did get some video today I will provide a link when he post them.

I think I will have to increase the size of the ailerons on my next one, they're just not fast enough for me. I did notice what Azarr is talking about with the roll differential. Hmmm...a longer servo arm would give me less angle on the rods and more throw. (scurries off to the shop to experiment)

I like 1/2 inch of throw..

but 70% expo for us old guys....

will have several at NEFI next weekend...

also may have several FOAM Joe Wagoner DAKATOS

see attached photos...
Jun 20, 2009, 03:12 PM
3D wannabe
Nice lookin bipe, I like that. Do you fly combat with that?
Jun 20, 2009, 03:21 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokejohnson
Nice lookin bipe, I like that. Do you fly combat with that?

My version of a Wagoner DAKOTA FF model

will finish it up soon

may test fly it this pm wind permitting...

no combat as of yet

am doing it rudder and elavator

yaw and pitch no roll control...as of yet...

that may change...???
Jun 20, 2009, 06:00 PM
3D wannabe
Here's the video.

Toward the end I am frisbee launching it and you can see me catch it at 7:20. Enjoy
F&F June 2009 (8 min 22 sec)

Quick Reply