Jun 06, 2009, 11:27 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Super easy RET VTOL

Hey everyone, I just finished working on a really cool VTOL. See the vids for more info. Plans here: http://www.rcexperimental.com/vtol.html

Build Your Own VTOL Airplane! Cutting Edge Technology! (1 min 10 sec)

Easy Build, Easy Fly VTOL #1 (Season 1, Episode 7) (7 min 8 sec)

Easy Build, Easy Fly VTOL #2 (Season 1, Episode 8) (5 min 36 sec)

Thanks for looking,
Timmy
www.rcexperimental.com
to remove ads between posts
Jun 07, 2009, 07:06 AM

Home made experimental VTOL

Hi Timmy,

Great videos and a great idea !

Would be very interested in trying out myself.. I would like a few details further... I have downloaded the plans but they kind of do not have any dimensions... Also I would be very interested in the setup of the motor, esc, battery and the length of the wooden legs. I kind of prefer to work with carbon fibre for the legs. Also what is the material of the triangles... Is it light enough if I built that out of coro instead of foam. May be a mite heavier...Also what is the all-up-weight.... Also curiosity I guess... Have you tried anything like a VTOL with the Coanda Effect ?

Saju
Jun 07, 2009, 07:07 AM
Well done, Timmy.
Jun 07, 2009, 08:58 AM
Timmy,
Thanks for sharing. Simple and fun project, great videos and nice web site too.

^R^
Jun 07, 2009, 09:16 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAJU
Hi Timmy,

Great videos and a great idea !

Would be very interested in trying out myself.. I would like a few details further... I have downloaded the plans but they kind of do not have any dimensions... Also I would be very interested in the setup of the motor, esc, battery and the length of the wooden legs. I kind of prefer to work with carbon fibre for the legs. Also what is the material of the triangles... Is it light enough if I built that out of coro instead of foam. May be a mite heavier...Also what is the all-up-weight.... Also curiosity I guess... Have you tried anything like a VTOL with the Coanda Effect ?

Saju
The plans are full size, so you just need to print them out, tape them together and trace out the shapes. I used 1/4" insulation foam but you could use almost anything... not sure about coro though, it would probably be ok but foam would be better. I used a motor very similar to the 24 gram blue wonder motors, a 10 amp bsc, 2 towerpro 5g servos and a 350mah 7.4v lipo battery. If you used carbon instead of wood it would probably make up for the added weight of using coro. AUW is approx. 170 grams. I haven't yet tried anything with the Coanda Eeffect, but I definatly will sometime in the future.
Jun 08, 2009, 05:28 AM
Nice job!

No gyros? What size prop?
Jun 08, 2009, 06:14 AM

Some more data required for making this plane

Timmy,

Thanx for the plans and other details... But I would like to have the length of the legs you used as also the position of the all important CG point. I believe the position of the CG has a lot to do with the ease with which you are able to transfer from vertical to horizontal flight and back...

Great flying... and keep up the good work

Saju
Jun 13, 2009, 03:49 PM
Thread OP
here is a diagram showing the CoG. The legs are also shown on the diagram, however you could make them as long/short as you want!
Jun 15, 2009, 12:39 PM
looks a lot like the ATMOPOD
Jun 22, 2009, 01:15 PM
Thread OP
Sure does! I kinda realized that after I built it. Hopefully no hard feelings between the designers of ATMOPOD.

Quick Reply