Jun 06, 2009, 05:27 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

BAE hawk T1 Profile(GWS 50)

The May edition of 'Quiet & Electric flight international' and John Rutter's plan for the Hawker Hunter, got me thinking and started to look at some of the jets i would love to build.

Decided on the BAE Hawk T1, long been a favourite of mine but never got round to building; now was the perfect solution to attempting all those jets ive long awaited to complete.
One hour on Google Sketchup and a set of plans printed. Used pritt stick to tack plans onto the depron, residue just wipes of with a damp cloth afterwards.Wing spar is 3x.5mm carbon strip fixed using UHU por. Parts are ready for masking and painting before assembly.

Span 728mm
Length 833mm
Auw TBA
GWS 50 EDF (currently on Medusa 4100kv, funds permitting, 5800kv later)
Servos 2 x 7.5g
Batt 3s 900mah
Last edited by domll; Jun 28, 2009 at 03:43 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 13, 2009, 02:15 PM
Thread OP
Some panel lines drawn in with permanent marker pen, helps it look like a Hawk.
CF LE added as well to prevent wing warp in flight. i used .5mm as it was all i had, would have been easier with .3mm for the curves.
Elevator hard ware was made from .8mm ply. After drilling the holes, 2.5mm, cut them out using a stanley as i dont have a scrole or band saw.
2.5mm carbon rod used for pivot. After using CA to fix tail to the rod,first hardware piece with horn slipped on and glued to tail surface. Two inner pieces of tail glued to next hardware piece, not to the CF rod, then second hardware piece added to cap off. Slide this assembly onto the rod, leave .5mm space between middle section and tail. Slide on next Hardware piece and glue last tail to this. Lastly CA tail to the rod. Ensure all is kept flat whilst setting for a nice flat tail.
Finished off the blue fin, used Marker pen again. Used solartrim for the cockpit glazing. Ailerons cut out and used tape for hinging. Glued first crutch in place. Make sure this sits above the wing slot as wing will be glued to the crutch. Slide wing inplace and mark line were it is covered by crutch. Remove, smear with POR, allow to dry. When ready slide wing back in fuselage, line up and press together. Add second crutch.
Lastly glue tail into the slot, make sure no glue bonds to the CF rod.
Thats it for now, just got the electronics and push rods to deal with now.
Total weight so far, 60g.
Jun 28, 2009, 03:31 AM
Thread OP
Every thing fitted, almost: Blew up the controller , tried to lengthen the ESC motor wires by replacing them, servos worked fine but no throttle. Should have realised then but oh no, had to plug it into my Hacker A10-9L, just to check...one big bleep from controller and... phoof... smoke from the motor . So one dead controller and now motor to boot .
Ordered new controller so soon as she arrives will still have to lengthen the wires, will add on this time and not replace.
The aileron servo now sits in a large hole, not intended. Original one fitted was snug, but failed to work correctly, kept jamming up on full throw. Should have checked it before installing. So had to hack it out(used hot melt to fix in place).
Well thats it untill controller arrives, just afew pics...
Last edited by domll; Jun 28, 2009 at 03:39 AM.
Jun 28, 2009, 09:20 AM
Fly DW foamies!
that looks awesome! it should fly great
Jun 29, 2009, 02:58 AM
Insert comment here:
looking good,
i hope you get this bad boy going....
good luck on the 1st flight
Oct 21, 2009, 11:37 AM
domll, did you ever fly this work of art? Got no experience with edf, but would be easy with a small pusher?

cheers

Ash
Nov 02, 2009, 01:34 PM
Thread OP
Hi plane spotter, sorry i havn't updated post, been wrapped up in other things.

Yes, she did fly, quite well infact until the elevator horn broke. couple of mods made to improve so will update with photos soon as i get some time, will have to commandeer my son for some in flight pics

Quick Reply