Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jun 04, 2009, 06:17 AM
AZ Outback
Thread OP
Contest

X5J eXtreme June 13th/14th Sign-Up

Welcome, back for the sixth year.

Introducing new classes: that will run with the X5J eXtreme rules except without a handicap on motor type.

X5J 1.5M class Wingspan 1.5M limit, motor small outrunner (bells depth limited to 17mm), maximum weight 452.8g or 16oz. Maximum lipo nominal voltage 7.4.
5min flight task. Flight time - motor time. 30 point landing tape.

X5J America class
Power 4s A123 cells, minimum weight 2.0Kg or 70.7 oz. No motor handicap.

I will score these classes seperate from the X5J eXtreme, and place X5J America class, in the final standing.

>>>To compete: Please list your plane, gearbox, prop, cells and type, weight, and any other interesting facts, pictures are always welcome, to this thread.If someone else, not on the Web would like to fly with you please list him or her, on or by June 12th. HOPE YOU CAN ALL MAKE IT OUT FOR THE eXtreme<<<

Remember all photos of new ships and OLE favorites are encouraged.

Please read all rules, if you have not flown this event before, everyone else, will note they are unchanged from 2007.

X5J eXtreme Rules:
1. Any electric powered sailplane can enter this contest.

2. There will be three 10minute flights. One point per second of flight time is scored and, one point deducted for each second over the 10minute-flight time. Maximum points possible 600. Round to the closest second for your flight time.

Example 9minutes 50seconds = 540pts + 50pts = 590pts
10minutes 4seconds = 600pts 4pts = 596pts

3. Motor run time is unlimited but subtracted from the flight time.

Example, 600 flight pts - 19 motor run pts = 581 total round pts.

4. Landing points to be measured from the center of the landing circle, to the closest part of the plane. For each meter from the point subtract 3 points from 30pts . See attached file for table.

5. Motor handicap: brushless 95%, brushed Cobalt and brushed car motors 75%, Ferrite 45%, and outrunners with a 28mm or less bell diameter and 17mm length 68%, Speed400 30%. The X5J America Class will have no motor handicap. Actual motor run rounded to the closest second. Then multiplied by the motor percentage. Round this calculated value to the closest 1/10th of a second.

Example Cobalt motor time 34 .6seconds = 35seconds X 0.75 = 26.25seconds = 26.3 seconds

6. You may restart your, motor as many times, as needed, but on the second motor start, you may not add landing points. A second way of stating this rule. If you start your motor after launch run of the motor, you will not receive any landing points.

7. Your flight is limited, a single dawn to dusk flight day of your choosing, during a 48 hour period.

8. Any type of battery cell is legal.

9. Temperature Factor to be added to total flight score. See the attachment for the temperature table.

Timers still need two stopwatches, this was easier then I thought it would be. Work out a signal with the pilot, if he is going to restart the motor. (I.e. "restarting...on...off")

This is the simplest way of scoring I have been able to come up with.

Flight time - closest second
Motor run - closest second
Calculated motor run - closest 1/10th of a second
Landing points - see table Rule #3

To all who enter,

The Best Soaring

Robert
Last edited by Robert Burson; Jun 04, 2009 at 06:24 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 04, 2009, 07:53 AM
wishes this caption was longe
Robert, this may have been discussed in the past, but why is there a separate class for X5J America? It seems kinda redundant-except that there is no motor handicap.
Jun 04, 2009, 07:56 AM
Jesper Frickmann
I'm in! Flying Buck Beak with the Renny as my backup.

Picture of Yours Truly preparing Buck Beak and talking to Will:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/atta...mentid=2560884

Jesper
Jun 04, 2009, 12:43 PM
AZ Outback
Thread OP
Hi Will,

I am trying to promote this class as an alternative to motor handicap system. Europe has been sucessful with a 12V class. It is just a very simple way of limiting power by using 4 A124 cells, and a minimum weight. I have not found to many CD that want to jump through electronic hoops, and do test and measurements on power system, or controllers that limit energy or height.

X5J America is a CD's dream. Check 4 A123 cells, weight over the minimum, go fly.

Plus with a lot of the new radios the time the motor is on can be recorded on the transmitter. Some have gone to requiring an extra rx for monitoring of motor time, the America system you solve the problems before they start.

All I need to do now is interest the A123 people in sponsoring some events for cash prizes and maybe this thing would take off.

Currently there no ships that would be, exactly, what you would need to have the optimized system. AVA's would be to light, and molded ships would be well over the weight they were designed for.

This is really just dreaming, since we live in a Plug and Play world, me included. It would be really terrible if we had to sit down and design our own system. If I did not watch the tube or play on the computer, how many planes could I build in a year;-0

I still plan on building one ship from things I have, just to see how it comes out.

The Best

Robert
Last edited by Robert Burson; Jun 04, 2009 at 04:40 PM.
Jun 04, 2009, 04:49 PM
Bob Olson

Fooey!!!

It never fails - the contest dates come up and I'm hosed again!! Last month I had a reunion in florida, the month before that my daughter got married on short notice, and this month I'll be in pennsylvania for the Polecat Challenge. Believe me Bob, I would like nothing better than to fly with you!! Your friend (I hope) Bob Olson - - Elkhart Flightmasters. GOOD LUCK!!!
Jun 04, 2009, 05:34 PM
turn, turn, turn.
I'll be at the Polecat Challenge as well.
There is a small chance that I will bring my e-Topaz, so I will go ahead and enter:

Topaz S
Multiplex BL4804G 4.4:1
CC 45 esc.
Evo 25 3s2170 lipo
JR 700 rx.
RFM 14.5x10 prop
RFM spinner
Voltz Wing Max for spoilers.
HS 125MG for elevator and rudder.
Jun 04, 2009, 05:38 PM
AZ Outback
Thread OP
Guys, you can fly this event anywhere at any time. Might show the DLG guys, what we are doing currently. Many still think, we climb to 3000 ft and glide down. You might put a few people into shock. Best of Luck with your DLG event, say hello to Denny.

The Best

Robert
Jun 04, 2009, 05:45 PM
turn, turn, turn.
That settles it....I'm bringing it...

Thanks for the encouragement and support Robert.

I will be sure and say Hi to Denny for you.
Jun 04, 2009, 07:24 PM
AZ Outback
Thread OP
Great Kenny,

I can see why DLG is so popular charge it, throw it. Hmm, charge it, throw it, ..... sounds like e - sailplanes. No winches, no lines, no turn around, no chute, no launch set up, no setting up the line, no breaking the line, no retrieving the line, no mistakes on launch wrong settings, no settings, no rx on, no crossed lines, no cross wind launches,no failure to release the line on launch, no wrapping the line around the nose and sawing it off, no exploding stabs, no outer tips falling off, no wing panels folding in half, no ___________________, I'm sure you have your own list.

I still love pure sailplanes, but some days you just have to think about the process. But it can be exciting on launch.

Next month Mr. Olson, best of luck.

The Best

Robert
Last edited by Robert Burson; Jun 04, 2009 at 07:32 PM.
Jun 04, 2009, 10:08 PM
I need a bigger garage...
I'm in for the 1.5M event with my Chrysalis HLG-e again. Now no one else enter the 1.5M again, OK? I like winning

Andy
Jun 04, 2009, 11:21 PM
Just plain ridiculous. Sir.
I'll fly again. Not real sure what I'll fly though as my Allegro's battery is close to being shot. I might fly the Allegro with a taped external pack. Might fly my CDROM powered glider. Or might fly the Paragon. Definitely one of those 3.

Ryan
Jun 05, 2009, 04:27 AM
Count me in too. I hope to have the Art Hobby HiAspect back in shape by then. HiAspect 3.1E/Hacker B40-9L+4.4:1/15x10/3STP3300. If not it will be my Omega 1.8/Scorpion 2212/18/12x8/3STP2100.
Good lift to all,
-Eric
Jun 05, 2009, 10:24 PM
wishes this caption was longe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajreynolds
I'm in for the 1.5M event with my Chrysalis HLG-e again. Now no one else enter the 1.5M again, OK? I like winning

Andy
Ha-hah! Just for that I am going to change my battery pack to 2S.

I'm in too.

1.5M e-Frankenplane a20-50s -info from last month's X5J https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...6&postcount=28

This month's battery pack and prop combo will be determined after some bench testing and a test flight.

Robert, thanks for the answer on the X5J America. After looking at Jesper's recent e-sailplane battery thread. It looks like the A123 is still a ways out from being used on a regular basis, but who knows what may come in the future?
Jun 06, 2009, 12:04 AM
I need a bigger garage...
Quote:
Originally Posted by will_newton
Dang! I was thinking that if I was the only one in the class, I wouldn't even need to fly. Just post 0's all around and I'd still win!

Andy
Jun 06, 2009, 06:42 AM
Jesper Frickmann
Quote:

I'm in too.
Go Will
Quote:
Robert, thanks for the answer on the X5J America. After looking at Jesper's recent e-sailplane battery thread. It looks like the A123 is still a ways out from being used on a regular basis, but who knows what may come in the future?
Yes, I think that 3S2100 LiPos would be the popular choice. Or, even better: LiPo packs <= 200g ~ 7oz. That would make my 4S1800 work

Quick Reply