That's a darned fine looking tug!
Thank you!

{:>)
Oct 29, 2009, 12:46 PM
Congratulations, nice work
Oct 29, 2009, 06:31 PM
Capt. Terry

My 2nd Midwest Liberty Tug

I really enjoyed building and sailing my 1st Midwest Liberty Tug and learned so much that I'm about half way through with building my 2nd Liberty Tug. She will be named Liliana after my grand-daughter. The 1st one seems very top heavy with the superstructure in place. Therefore, I cut the sub-deck assembly out and reinforced it so I could lower the two battery packs in the hull. I also installed a "false keel" in the bottom groove of the hull and cemented my lead weights along each side of the "false" keel. To me, the worst part of this kit is the decals. They are flimsy and extremely hard to work with. Capt. Scooter, Montgomery, Alabama
Oct 29, 2009, 09:11 PM
Cheif Bottlewasher
orange its different ...but looks right
Nov 02, 2009, 10:03 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainScooter
I really enjoyed building and sailing my 1st Midwest Liberty Tug and learned so much that I'm about half way through with building my 2nd Liberty Tug. She will be named Liliana after my grand-daughter. The 1st one seems very top heavy with the superstructure in place. Therefore, I cut the sub-deck assembly out and reinforced it so I could lower the two battery packs in the hull. I also installed a "false keel" in the bottom groove of the hull and cemented my lead weights along each side of the "false" keel. To me, the worst part of this kit is the decals. They are flimsy and extremely hard to work with. Capt. Scooter, Montgomery, Alabama
Mine was a little top heavy too I think. They suggest ballasting before you put the deck on, but I didn't do that. I was concerned that once I put the battery pack(s) in that I wouldn't be able to remove weight if needed. With two battery packs, the waterline is fine. I just wish it was all centered a little l lower. What that means when running is that rough water is not so good. I do get rocking.
Dec 14, 2009, 08:10 PM
Greate looking tug I am thinking of duing one with steam if i can find one .
Bob Big
Dec 14, 2009, 09:13 PM
[FONT="Arial"][SIZE="3"]BOB BIGHINATTI- if you are looking for the Midwest Liberty Tug, Mack Products still has them in stock. http://www.mackproductsrc.com/990_liberty.htm;)
Dec 18, 2009, 07:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankg
[FONT="Arial"][SIZE="3"]BOB BIGHINATTI- if you are looking for the Midwest Liberty Tug, Mack Products still has them in stock. http://www.mackproductsrc.com/990_liberty.htm;)
Thanks Frankg for the info do you have the steam plants to
Bob Big
Dec 18, 2009, 07:51 PM
BOB- I will have to check Monday and see if we still have the steam engines in stock. Right now we are getting ready for the big snow storm coming our way.
Jan 21, 2010, 07:02 AM
Thread OP
We had an Fun Run at a local indoor aquatic center last weekend. Got this photo of the Liberty Tug. Great turnout with lots of spectators. We had fun!
Jan 21, 2010, 10:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloScott
Mine was a little top heavy too I think. They suggest ballasting before you put the deck on, but I didn't do that. I was concerned that once I put the battery pack(s) in that I wouldn't be able to remove weight if needed. With two battery packs, the waterline is fine. I just wish it was all centered a little l lower. What that means when running is that rough water is not so good. I do get rocking.
Aloha
Mine was a bit top heavy when I put the weight and battery mid ship, so I used buck shot and just poured it in, and I just tilt the boat towards the back to get the shot into place. It sits nice in the water and looks like the old style tugs.
Aloha
Marty
Jan 22, 2010, 06:52 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcis4me
Aloha
Mine was a bit top heavy when I put the weight and battery mid ship, so I used buck shot and just poured it in, and I just tilt the boat towards the back to get the shot into place. It sits nice in the water and looks like the old style tugs.
Aloha
Marty
Did you mix the buckshot with epoxy or something to make it stay in place?

I see you used the vertical coffee stir stick siding like I did. It looks nice! Cool skipper too.

Great photos. We can't get backgrounds like that in Indiana!
Jan 22, 2010, 10:48 AM
Aloha Scott
No i havent secured it yet, was thinking to water down some elmer's glue, but I kind of like it the way it is so I can adjust the ballast to the conditions of the water here, it is not always this calm out in the lagoon, if the winds pick up the chop gets pretty nasty, also when the tide comes up the waves crash over the reef and cause some big chop. Bigger chop I shake the ballast forward and it doesnt get swamped.
Aloha
Marty
Jan 22, 2010, 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloScott
We had an Fun Run at a local indoor aquatic center last weekend. Got this photo of the Liberty Tug. Great turnout with lots of spectators. We had fun!
I polished the image you sent me.

John
Last edited by Swift16; Jan 22, 2010 at 03:58 PM.

Quick Reply