Jun 01, 2009, 05:59 AM
nac
nac
Thread OP
Build Log

YF-23 - Easybuild

Here is my Easybuild version of the Northrop YF-23 Black Widow II.

It has a mid-mounted motor, electronics and battery are accessible via an access door underneath.
It is built from 6 mm Depron, held together with hot glue. I only use Epoxy for the carbon rods.
Use just two servos to control all surfaces but you could use a third for separate elevator (V1.04).

Both 100% and 70% plans are provided along with decals.
The full size plans will also allow for the use of the "Power Pod", which is used on several of my other designs.

SPECS:-
Wing span = 72cm (~28”)
Length = 110cm (~43”)

SETEP:-
Weight (painted) = TBA
Weight (painted with 1350mAh battery) = TBA
Static thrust = minimum 650g (~23oz)
Prop = 6x4
Motor = 2000kv
ESC = 25A min
Battery = 1350mAh 3s1p Li-Po
Elevon (Elevator) throw = +/- 20 degrees
Aileron throw = +/- 25 degrees
Expo = 40%
COG = 17cm from wing break

Big thanks to test pilots Pat and Calvin

NAC
Last edited by nac; Jul 08, 2012 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Plans uploaded
to remove ads between posts
Jun 01, 2009, 11:06 AM
You sabotaged my plane.
NAC,
Looks good. I heard rumors you had this in the works. I have the laser on stand-by.

Jim
Jun 01, 2009, 12:15 PM
Foam abuser!
NAC sent me the plans for this last week, and I promptly cut up a p-type. After a few minor changes, we think we have a good plan. I will work on getting mine assembled this week and post up some pics.

Jim, if I get it done this week, I'll bring it out to Nichols on Friday.

Pat
Jun 01, 2009, 07:31 PM
Registered Foam Addict
Here is the progress I have so far just need to add electronics.
Jun 01, 2009, 10:18 PM
Foam abuser!
Looks great Calvin! You built it faster than me this time.

Just started building. Here's a few teaser pics of all the parts laid out (not too many on this one) and the start of construction.

And a pic of the only two YF-23s ever made.

Pat
Jun 01, 2009, 10:21 PM
Dont forget the velcro straps
ive walked all over and around the light grey 23. got to rub my hands all over it! its at the northrop in el segundo(right next to LAX) got to check it out while running down there for supplies
Jun 01, 2009, 10:23 PM
just so you guys know...the CG is WAY forward on this thing. i dont care what any calc says. i built a profile about this size(still have it) and the CG was at about 1/2 into the first facet of th wing...if that makes sense.
Jun 01, 2009, 10:23 PM
Foam abuser!
Brent,

If you go back any time soon, PLEASE PLEASE take some good walk-around pics.

Pat
Jun 01, 2009, 10:24 PM
you cant take a camera in there pat!
Jun 01, 2009, 10:26 PM
Foam abuser!
Sure you can, it's just getting out with it that's the challenge!

Pat
Jun 02, 2009, 11:52 AM
Have Fun! Land, Sea or Air
Nice planes guys! Looking forward to a flight report.
Jun 02, 2009, 12:22 PM
Very nice! Had forgot about that plane but now I realy feel the need to build one! Looking forward for the plans on this one!
Jun 02, 2009, 11:08 PM
Foam abuser!
OK, I got most of the construction done tonight except for gluing up the vertical stabs (which I will explain below). Basically, the construction process is very simple.

First glue in the CF spars. Then glue on the top fuselage section, then the bottom section and the rear belly pan support. Glue on the interior intake sections, and then add the belly pan. Glue on the upper intake humps and the small trailing piece behind the prop canyon.

*****Attention before the final step! Now is the time to decide where you want to mount your servos. The plans will have an option to mount them either on the interior intake wall, or the exterior wall. If you decide to do them on the interior side, do it PRIOR to gluing on the exterior intake/vertical stab (Part 6) as you will not have easy access to it after that part is glued on. The control rod for the aileron will need to be run through Part 6, so a hole will have to be cut into it to accomodate. I plan to make a small hole in it and then glue in a piece of pushrod tubing for additional support of the control rod. I will post more pics of this when I get to that point in the build (which is what I will be doing next).*****

The final step is the most complicated, and that's gluing on the vertical stabs. This will require cutting or sanding many angles in the foam. I used a new Xacto blade and cut 45 angles everywhere I could, and sanded where I couldn't. This will greatly assist in the assembly of these parts.

The only mods from the latest plan are that I moved my CF spar back 1/2" and increased the depth of the prop canyon all the way to the spar. I also had to add 1/4" of width on each side of the canyon as it was only 6" wide, but that will probably be addressed in the final plan version.

I'm also going to add a CF spar about 1" ahead of the tailerons as that area is a little weak, and this will prevent bending in that section when you glue on the vertical stabs. That will also probably be in the final plan version.

Finally, I'm cutting my ailerons more scale. For the interior section (which on the full scale bird is actually the flaps), I'll cut them a little bigger in the scale outline. Look at the pic I posted above of the two scale birds flying in formation to see what I'm talking about.

Here's some pics of the progress so far.

Pat
Last edited by crxmanpat; Jun 03, 2009 at 12:47 PM. Reason: added info about the servos/pushrods
Jun 03, 2009, 12:13 AM
Foam abuser!
OK, I don't know what I was thinking on the ailerons, but my plan to cut them as indicated above simply won't work according to the current laws of physics. I'll keep them as indicated on the plan, and just draw in the scale panel lines with ink.

Pat
Jun 03, 2009, 12:20 AM
nac
nac
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat
OK, I don't know what I was thinking on the ailerons, but my plan to cut them as indicated above simply won't work according to the current laws of physics. I'll keep them as indicated on the plan, and just draw in the scale panel lines with ink.

Pat
Ha.

I did scratch my head a bit, thinking of how it was working.
Thinking I must be silly and missed something.

NAC

Quick Reply