Multiplex Fox EDF Conversion - RC Groups
Thread Tools
May 31, 2009, 08:08 PM
Registered User
sketchy's Avatar
Video

Multiplex Fox EDF Conversion


Here is my Fox EDF Conversion. Vid taken on the maiden flight.
AUW is 150g.
CofG 22.mm from LE.
Built around a recessed GWS 40mm EDF unit with Hyperion 5800Kv 12.mm Inrunner, 10A ESC, 3s 11.1V 500mAh Loong-Max LiPo, 2x 4.3g digital servos, Spektrum 6100e Rx & lots of carbon bracing.
Since maiden flight have had better flying conditions and been braver with throttle & rates. Will post update soon.
Last edited by sketchy; Jun 02, 2009 at 07:53 AM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jun 01, 2009, 08:34 AM
GBX
GBX
Registered User
Very Cool
Great job
Jun 01, 2009, 11:12 AM
Have glue gun, will travel...
Ken1.8T's Avatar
Great first post! Looks like some real fun!
Jun 01, 2009, 01:42 PM
Registered User
Twinkletoze's Avatar
They looks super! How about a pic under the canopy?
Jun 02, 2009, 07:54 AM
Registered User
sketchy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharM
They looks super! How about a pic under the canopy?
Some pics of under the canopy added
Jun 05, 2009, 07:21 AM
Registered User
Very nice job. How about some pics of the build?
Sep 24, 2009, 10:39 AM
KC9TPL- Get Legit
BloomingtonFPV's Avatar

Removable wings?


I'd like to make a version of this that I could take backpacking and fly off mountains. Assuming I put separate servos on the wings for each aileron, can you see a way to make the wings removable, kind of like the easystar?
Feb 22, 2010, 11:22 PM
Registered User
awayne's Avatar

edf fox


Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchy
Some pics of under the canopy added
Hey Sketchy,

I happen to have the same edf unit laying around and thought I might try a set up like yours in the Fox. Looks nice and clean. I was wondering if you could post your throws and rates? How much power is your set up putting out? It looks plenty fast in the video.

Thanks!

andy
Mar 20, 2010, 06:13 AM
Registered User
sketchy's Avatar

Removable wings:


Try setting in aluminium tubes into the wings and then have carbon spar rods through the fuselage. Make sure they are a very close fit in the tubes. I would simply hold the wings in place with fibre tape when flying on this size of model. To set the tubes into the wings, use a soldering iron and a metal rule to guide you and carefully melt a trench into the wings where required and then glue them in with uhu por. Practise on some scrap foam first. Hope this is a useful solution.
Mar 20, 2010, 06:32 AM
Registered User
sketchy's Avatar
Andy:

Had never actually bothered to check the power til now.
The unit produces 130g of static thrust and ~80W cont. max. Most of this is down to the Lipo & motor used. I tried with 'lesser' Lipo's and there was a big drop in power. The 3s 500mAh Lipo added to the AUW big time (150g) but the trade off is good thrust and speed. I can perform sliding take off's, touch and goes off short, dry, grass which is good fun. At full throttle this size of model disappears very quickly

In the vid I was flying between 1/2 and 3/4 throttle as I was still trimming / setting up rates etc. So you can imagine the speed gain at full throttle.

As for throws, they are.
11.0mm Up Elevator
11.0mm Down Elevator
10.0mm Up Aileron
8.0mm Down Aileron

One thing to note is if I built this model again I would use a thicker carbon main wing spar (I used 3.mm dia.) as the wings flex too much during tight manoeuvres and this can actually flex the fan shroud leading to blade contact. This can have obvious consequences. Also I would have made the ailerons smaller as I have to fly with reduced throws and 95% expo. Lastly I would have fitted 2 servos for the ailerons so I could have utilised flapperons. Would slow the landing run down a touch

If you want any more build info. just let me know.

Sketchy
Mar 24, 2010, 04:42 PM
Registered User
rpstar's Avatar
Well, I've got the same fan and Feigao 5800kv inrunner and some Zippy 3S 500's lying around. I might give it a try when I get the current list of planes finished. Looks fun.
Mar 25, 2010, 05:03 PM
Registered User
sketchy's Avatar
Know the feeling
Mar 29, 2010, 11:45 PM
Registered User
awayne's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchy
Andy:

Had never actually bothered to check the power til now.
The unit produces 130g of static thrust and ~80W cont. max. Most of this is down to the Lipo & motor used. I tried with 'lesser' Lipo's and there was a big drop in power. The 3s 500mAh Lipo added to the AUW big time (150g) but the trade off is good thrust and speed. I can perform sliding take off's, touch and goes off short, dry, grass which is good fun. At full throttle this size of model disappears very quickly

In the vid I was flying between 1/2 and 3/4 throttle as I was still trimming / setting up rates etc. So you can imagine the speed gain at full throttle.

As for throws, they are.
11.0mm Up Elevator
11.0mm Down Elevator
10.0mm Up Aileron
8.0mm Down Aileron

One thing to note is if I built this model again I would use a thicker carbon main wing spar (I used 3.mm dia.) as the wings flex too much during tight manoeuvres and this can actually flex the fan shroud leading to blade contact. This can have obvious consequences. Also I would have made the ailerons smaller as I have to fly with reduced throws and 95% expo. Lastly I would have fitted 2 servos for the ailerons so I could have utilised flapperons. Would slow the landing run down a touch

If you want any more build info. just let me know.

Sketchy
Hey Sketchy,

Thanks for the info. I used your idea as a role model. Hope you don't mind. I'm just about done with mine and hope to have it ready by the weekend. Everyone at my field who has one of these has a motor mounted on front. Can't wait!!
Mar 30, 2010, 07:23 AM
KC9TPL- Get Legit
BloomingtonFPV's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by awayne
Hey Sketchy,

Thanks for the info. I used your idea as a role model. Hope you don't mind. I'm just about done with mine and hope to have it ready by the weekend. Everyone at my field who has one of these has a motor mounted on front. Can't wait!!
Videos! AUW! We need details!


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Multiplex Fox - R/C Conversion Instructions Heli-Lessons Electric Plane Talk 6 Jul 16, 2011 01:08 AM
Idea Multiplex FOX-time conversion dougmontgomery Foamies (Kits) 10 Mar 22, 2009 02:21 PM
Sold NIB Multiplex FOX for conversion termite Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 9 Nov 21, 2008 02:04 PM
Video Multiplex Fox Chuckie Conversion Gussy Sailplane Talk 2 Jul 03, 2008 08:39 AM
Discussion Multiplex Fox Conversion blxpy Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 6 Apr 23, 2008 03:16 PM