Sep 08, 2001, 11:17 AM
Thread OP

Motor brake on or off for non folding prop?

My Limbo Dancer is nearly ready to go now and for a sport flyer like this with a fixed u/c and non folding prop I was wondering how I should have the brake on my speed controller set up?
to remove ads between posts
Sep 08, 2001, 06:38 PM
Grant - I've tried both with the Limbo, and didn't find that it made all that much difference. In a big dive, say 200' straight down the brake doesn't seem to cope, and the prop windmills anyway. There's enough resistance in the gearbox to stop the prop in level flight.

I fly with both options depending on what I'm going to be doing - all straight up and down I have the brake off. 'Normal' flying brake on.

Stuart
Sep 08, 2001, 07:04 PM
(Batteries not included.)
If you are using a non-folding prop don't forget the gearbox issues. You might not want the brake going on and off if you are running a high ratio gearbox. Especially if it's a hard brake. With large props that can put a lot of twisting load on the motor mount and the gear train. Also remember that some brakes only function for a few seconds after the throttle goes low. After that, they assume the prop has folded and the brake no longer functions so the prop is free to spin up again. I know that happens on my Wedgie with the Rondo 400 controller. I assume it's to reduce heat build up if you insist on long dives with a non-folding prop.

Dave Wenzlick
Mesa AZ
Sep 09, 2001, 12:41 AM
With the brake function on, the prop will come to a complete stop when the throttle is cut - this actually produces less drag than a wind milling propeller. So in theory at least, you want the brake "on."

Pete
Sep 09, 2001, 12:51 AM
Visitor from Reality
It's mostly personal preference. I look at the prop as a cooling fan for the pilot - it stops going round, I start to sweat.

Guess that's all those years of slimer-driving

Good thing about having it spin with power off is it makes a great airbrake on 'flight idle' - with what amounts to a prop sized disk on the nose, anything comes down fast without speeding up.

With a drag bucket like the LD, you might not need that facility. I'd go fly it, try it both ways and see what you like.

Regards

Dereck
Sep 09, 2001, 06:31 AM
eflyguy
Leaving it off is preferable in a sport model, in my opinion. Slows the model nicely on approach.
If you have a smart conroller, you can program a brake point below motor off - so keep the throttle just above the low point for motor off, no brake, and all the way down for brake. Try it both ways..
..a

Quick Reply