SUPER CHEETAH Restoration - Page 4 - RC Groups
Aug 17, 2011, 07:02 PM
characters welcome!

Well, aren't I a lucky boy!

The subject Super Cheetah is now in my hands having been fortunate enough to spot this one in the FS/W area a couple of weeks ago and pulled the trigger before anyone else did. Here she is RTF at 52.4 ounces. The wing-mounted HS-81 servos make this a perfect plane for airbrake programming when landing those short, tight LZs! Ain't she gorgeous?

Thanks, Eric!

mw
to remove ads between posts
Aug 17, 2011, 07:29 PM
Abundantly deficient.......
Mark, I can almost guarantee you that she will become your go-to plane. Shes fast and SUPER stable and if you come in hard, even cartwheel, no problem. Excellent model and builder as well as being quite a looker. Congrats!

M
Aug 17, 2011, 08:38 PM
Ask me about VTPR
Didnt take you long MW to get here RTF... Glad to see it went to a happy hanger.

Eric
Aug 17, 2011, 10:46 PM
characters welcome!
The wind wasn't the best today but I took a late sprint over Torrey for a remaiden. Usually the wind dies by just after five pm but it was still running 8-9 at 290 when I got there. The small windsock was flying ok so I made sure everything was moving correcly and heaved the Super Cheetah out over the bluff. A quick trim flight and back in for an easy landing to adjust linkages and back out again. This plane flies like it's on the proverbial rails even in the light lift. It indeed will always be along when I go flying. One thing though...

I've got a heckuva knot on the front of my left ankle. When you land one of these planes and haul in the airbrake a little too soon, go ahead and jump over it when it's sliding towards you in a hurry. Trying to stop it like a foamy with your ankle hurts like hell.

mw
Aug 18, 2011, 01:42 AM
Ask me about VTPR
Awesome Mark... Super Cheetah's are great Touch and Go planes arent they! More fun than a foamy any day LOL. Put some ice on the ankle and toss her again soon... Video maybe???

Eric
Sep 04, 2014, 06:57 AM
Hope you guys are happy! Seeing this thread made me pull out my old Cheetah again. :-)
Thinking she needs a new wing though.

Mokulele808,
I like the servo pockets you used in your wing. Where did you find those? I buried mine directly in the foam originally and it didnt hold up as well as I might have hoped.
Sep 08, 2014, 03:54 AM
http://www3.omnimodels.com/cgi-bin/w...I=HRCM6307&P=7
8.79 for a pair from Omni Models. I used Z bends but if had to do it again, I would have used clevises on the servo arms as well because the Z bends scraped against the covers. I used HS-82MGs for ailerons and programmed spoilerons which worked great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadwm
Hope you guys are happy! Seeing this thread made me pull out my old Cheetah again. :-)
Thinking she needs a new wing though.

Mokulele808,
I like the servo pockets you used in your wing. Where did you find those? I buried mine directly in the foam originally and it didnt hold up as well as I might have hoped.
Mar 12, 2017, 07:15 PM
Electrics, Tricopters, FPV

Thanks Oldschooler

Im a devotee to the Super Cheetah but alas I made a huge mistake in restoration of a much loved air frame. I found your build log this am and with it realize why my wing failed...This post just to thank you for your time back in 07 and once again to RCG for being such an amazing modeling resource.
I got hooked on the SC through my long time modeling and full scale instructor Pete. I wrote him a confessional type email that I'll attach here rather than re entering it. I would like to find another SC for my son. I believe some folks over at Flite test have crafted one of foam core. It amazes me how strong this wing is.....

here's my email:

Roughly ten years ago I flew my SC through its battery charge and crashed it fatally on the M shattering the H stab. You recall perhaps I acquired it from a MARCS member built up and rtf about.. 2002??

In 2012 I knew I had an Arizona road trip upcoming to pick up and deliver Jake to school in Flagstaff- the SC made the trip,it was memorable - with a new battery monitor installed. H Stab with overkill CF reinforcements it traveled well but gale strength winds grounded us in the desert..It was shelved for several years.

Gulp: I now recall lifting the aged paper wing covering and recovered with Monokote. I never thought to burrow into the foam to inspect a non existent spar - a big restoration mistake. Glad my personal bacon wasn't on the line .

Fast forward to last month's warming and with another new Rx battery the SC returned to the M. Removing the wing from my car I observed--- "hmmn the center joint seems soft" but up I went... Flying huge stall turns as you and I once did in formation, I charged down over the trees aside the stairs " full tilt boogy" as my brother likes to say. Anyway- as if to enter an air bubble "salt shaker" the plane jerked up then down folding the wing aside the fuse. Completely shattered the spar -I thought. At home I peeled back the covering, exposed the snapped cap and found ...nothing but foam.Inline image 1

So here's why I write: I found a SC build blog on RCGroups today and started wing surgery... And ... No spar!! and no sheeting only two sticks butt joined in the center with an idiot's Monokote skin to hold it together. Duh. I never took time to burrow under these sticks years back to discover the design relies on the skin for strength. the cap strips I mistook for top and bottom of a spar were probably mortally wounded in my H stab crash or during cross country transport...

The blogger skins with very thin ply for combat so it's now back to the bench for a skin job. Is yours built with paper skin only?

I may go ply as this will always be a big air M ship...yes yes yes "Light IS always right." Don't you get tired of being quoted!!!

Sincerely,
Last edited by rcgreaves; Mar 13, 2017 at 10:34 PM.