Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 26, 2009, 11:40 PM
Ricky Windsock
Gallery

The Midsouth Gordon Report (Sunday)

Sunday began at Hayes-Kennedy Park with overcast skies and forecasts of rain in the avo. Flying began shortly after 9:00am and many of us soon discovered that lift was even more difficult to find than Saturday. I bombed my first round flight round flight after scratching around for around 7 min 30sec I was below tree top height and the Sharon had to be brought home to the spot. This meant a score of around 900 for the round which is 100 points behind from the start. (Hard to make up against a top field with only 4 more rounds to fly.) I did manage to score very well the rest of the day with sorties very deep and often low also. The lift was there but you really had to work to find it and then precision flying was the order of the day to make anything with it or just maintain your hard earned height. Once again my son Jamie improved in leaps and bounds to absolutely bury his group in one round. I think he managed to gain over 300 points on his nearest competitor.
Most pilots found the conditions very challenging but thats what makes TD so interesting. We saw some great saves by pilots from as low as 20 feet including a herculean effort by the eventual winner Gavin Trussel. He found a DLG type bump in the landing area at terminal height and wrapped his Supra tight for about 3 minutes to bury his opponents as they landed around him. A great flying display.
Don Richmond was flying an AvA with great skill and easily took out the Grey up award for the day. Don is a terrific guy with a wealth of RC experience and has a bunch of good sailplane stuff for sale on his website www.hilaunch.com
The day was completed after 5 rounds of very exhilorating soaring. There is no better feeling than to scratch out 10 minutes of air time (sometimes in desperately low situations) when the others in your group have failed to do so. That feeling has made me a fan of MOM. The contest flying was wrapped up around 3:00pm and the wood distributed. Ben Wilson flew a great contest to finish 2nd on Sunday and winner of the Overall trophy for Expert. The Expert winner for Sunday was Steven Meyer flying a Supra. Michael Johnson flew great on Sunday also to place third in Sportsman and clinch the Overall for the two days in Sportsman. I managed to hold on to 2nd place in Sportsman for 2 days in a row and the winner in Sportsman was Gavin Trussell who flew a great 5th rounder to show all why he was the deserving victor.
We had a great time and the hospitality and friendships extended by all that we met made this trip truly memorable. My primary goal was to achieve the necessary LSF points and places for Level 4 so I can wrap it up ASAP and attack Level 5 this year. My goal was accomplished. Along the way I have discovered an incredible talent in my son and I hope he continue to fly and improve.
We look forward to meeting all you good folks again at the Nats.
Apologies for not mentioning everyone.
Final scores can be seen here. Final scores from Louisville Midsouth.
Gordon
Last edited by aussief3b; May 27, 2009 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Add link
to remove ads between posts
May 27, 2009, 08:58 AM
Great report and pics. I met your son at Kennyworld and saw the excitement when he made his first landing for points with his Icon.

Some of my most memorable moments in soaring, were with my son flying in contests. You are fortunate to have such a nice young man to share your interests.

The only negatives(not really) are the longer ride home when he beats you (and he will)and the hobby gets twice as expensive.(goodbye beater Icon)

See you in Orlando

Jeff
May 27, 2009, 09:37 AM
Thanks for a nice report (both of them). I sit here eating Norwegoian ribs with Heinz barebque sauce and punch the fat all over my laptop as we speak. The ribs are not like the Kentucky ones...
See there is a lot of good friends on the pictures also.

Happy flying guys!
Jojo
May 27, 2009, 09:41 AM
LSF V-117
Tnx for the kind words.
Its just the way we are....
Our Pleasure to hook up with you and Jamie!
May 28, 2009, 02:11 PM
Team Horizon Pilot :)
Man thanks Gordon for the post . It was fun flying with you and your boy Saturday evening when Chris, Mike,and myself when we were just screwing around.I hope to see you at the Nats this year but if not ill come to Orlando for some handlaunch with you and David Forbes this winter. Gavin
Latest blog entry: cr
May 28, 2009, 06:49 PM

Good job

Congratulations Gordon and Jamie, keep up the good work, you guys left a good impression on everybody. You make us all proud to be Buzzards.
Raed