Thread Tools
May 26, 2009, 08:36 PM
Registered User
elan's Avatar
Thread OP
Data

Plug n Play DD CP2 Tail Conversion


I have 100++ hours on a CP2 with the dual-tail set-up. Today I did my tenth pack with the following E-flight Direct-Drive Tail Motor Conversion Kit for the Blade CP (a CP2 clone) http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLH1320 and the results are good. The unit is a bolt on direct replacement for the CP2 stock tail motor. The only thing required is that you solder the tail motor connection when you swap out the motors; as the replacement tail motor is a bit longer I did have to extend the tail motor leads with wire from the motor leads from an old CP2 main motor. Another thing to keep in mind is that the DD tail motor rotates in the opposite direction as the stock tail motor. Therefore you will need to make sure that the supplied tail rotor blade is mounted in the correct orientation on the new tail motor or excessive tail motor heat will occur (I wonder how I know that :-)

Once set-up correctly the DD tail motor runs very cool, in my opinion there is no need for a heat sink. The kit comes with all the parts you need (tail motor, tail rotor and hub) included and the kit takes no time to install. To state the thing simply, it seems to me that the tail controll with this tail motor is much better than with my tried and true dual tail motor configuration, which was much better than the stock tail. The proof will be in how long this tail motor lasts. But since it is running so cool, I gotta think it will have a good long life. I've put 10 packs through it so far. I'll update folks from time to time...

Again, here's a link to the kit for the mod: http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLH1320
Last edited by elan; Jun 07, 2009 at 08:40 PM. Reason: clarity
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jun 07, 2009, 08:38 PM
Registered User
elan's Avatar
Thread OP

Update


Today I flew my 25th pack with the new DD tail motor and it is going strong...
Jun 08, 2009, 06:46 AM
Registered User
kodak_jack's Avatar
We've been using the GWS version on the Honey Bee Fixed Pitch for quite a long time and it works great.
On a completely different note, we've also used the Slo-Max brushed motor as our motor of choice, but Team Orion has chosen to drop it. How is the brushed motor on the CP Pro 2? Have any of you guys gotten into it?
Jun 08, 2009, 10:54 AM
Registered User
elan's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack
We've been using the GWS version on the Honey Bee Fixed Pitch for quite a long time and it works great.
On a completely different note, we've also used the Slo-Max brushed motor as our motor of choice, but Team Orion has chosen to drop it. How is the brushed motor on the CP Pro 2? Have any of you guys gotten into it?
-You know, I've been wondering about the CP Pro 2 motor as well; since the CP2 has been discontinued, once I use up my supply of CP2 main motors I will need to find a different motor. The CP2 main motor has a 9 tooth pinion but the CP Pro 2 motor has an 8 tooth pinion. I wonder if that means that the Pro 2 motor puts out more rpms?
Jun 08, 2009, 10:59 AM
Registered User
kodak_jack's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan
-You know, I've been wondering about the CP Pro 2 motor as well; since the CP2 has been discontinued, once I use up my supply of CP2 main motors I will need to find a different motor. The CP2 main motor has a 9 tooth pinion but the CP Pro 2 motor has an 8 tooth pinion. I wonder if that means that the Pro 2 motor puts out more rpms?
I noticed that too. It's surprising that there aren't more 370/380 motors out there.
Jun 08, 2009, 12:02 PM
Lifetime Member
JohnM's Avatar
I have 2 e-flite blade cp pro 2 helis and the performance of this heli in stock form is great. It is so much better that it's previous versions. The main motor is much stronger than the ones in the past and it has replaceable brushes too. The stock 2-in-1 and gyro does an excellent job of holding the tail and the stock transmitter works well too. The stock spektrum 6100 rx is of course great too.

John
Jun 08, 2009, 12:35 PM
Registered User
elan's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM
I have 2 e-flite blade cp pro 2 helis and the performance of this heli in stock form is great. It is so much better that it's previous versions. The main motor is much stronger than the ones in the past and it has replaceable brushes too. The stock 2-in-1 and gyro does an excellent job of holding the tail and the stock transmitter works well too. The stock spektrum 6100 rx is of course great too.

John
-You mentioned that it is "much stronger" so is it safe to presume that the reason the Pro 2 main motor comes with an 8 tooth pinion is that the motor generates more rpms that the main motor in previous versions of the model? If I were to put this motor in my CP2 (whose main motor has a 9 tooth pinion on it) I wouldn't want the headspeed to go down...
Jun 08, 2009, 04:11 PM
Lifetime Member
JohnM's Avatar
I would think that the motor has a higher kv as well as more torque. I have probably had close to 100 flights now and both the main and the tail motors are still holding up fine. At this time I can see no reason to upgrade to a brushless main or tail as my flying style does not demand the highest performance possible. The Blade CP Pro 2 has been the only heli so far that I have not needed to upgrade. It performs very well right out of the box.

John
Jun 08, 2009, 05:35 PM
Registered User
kodak_jack's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM
I would think that the motor has a higher kv as well as more torque. I have probably had close to 100 flights now and both the main and the tail motors are still holding up fine. At this time I can see no reason to upgrade to a brushless main or tail as my flying style does not demand the highest performance possible. The Blade CP Pro 2 has been the only heli so far that I have not needed to upgrade. It performs very well right out of the box.

John
This is great information to have since the beloved Slo-Max motor many of us use in our heli's is no longer available. Thanks.
Jun 08, 2009, 07:35 PM
Lifetime Member
JohnM's Avatar
Unfortunately I have never tried the Slo-Max motor so I cannot offer a direct comparison.

John
Jun 09, 2009, 07:23 AM
Registered User
elan's Avatar
Thread OP
This is great information to have...
-Agreed!
Jun 17, 2009, 08:46 PM
Registered User
elan's Avatar
Thread OP

update


I just flew my 50th pack with the DD motor and I have no complaints; the two packs I flew tonight were in a 12 mph wind and the model zipped around no problem.

On another note, this past weekend I tested the CP Pro2 motor that was mentioned in this thread, on my CP2 and it didn't do well. The 8 tooth E-Flight pinion that the motor comes with doesn't mesh well with the Esky main gear, so I pulled a 9 tooth pinion off of one of my shot CP2 motors and installed it on the CP Pro2 motor and it had way too much torque to hold the tail. But if I can find an 8 tooth pinion that meshes with the Esky main gear I'll test it again. If anybody has a suggestion in that regard, please speak up :-)

Since the CP2 has been discontinued, when the parts dry up and I can no longer buy CP2 main motors, I guess I'll just buy Esky FP2 main motors; it's the same motor but it comes with a 10 tooth pinion. So I'll be pulling 9 tooth pinions off of my old CP2 main motors (they are worn but better than nothing) and popping them on the FP2 main motors. I suppose I'll do this until I run out of used pinions. Then I'll have to see if I can find 9 tooth pinions that fit the FP2 main motor and mesh well with the CP2 main gear. Again, any suggestions are welcome...
Last edited by elan; Jun 17, 2009 at 08:55 PM. Reason: clarity
Jun 18, 2009, 06:51 AM
Registered User
kodak_jack's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan

Since the CP2 has been discontinued, when the parts dry up and I can no longer buy CP2 main motors, I guess I'll just buy Esky FP2 main motors; it's the same motor but it comes with a 10 tooth pinion. So I'll be pulling 9 tooth pinions off of my old CP2 main motors (they are worn but better than nothing) and popping them on the FP2 main motors. I suppose I'll do this until I run out of used pinions. Then I'll have to see if I can find 9 tooth pinions that fit the FP2 main motor and mesh well with the CP2 main gear. Again, any suggestions are welcome...
The stock HBFP motor is weak and short- lived. You may be heading for a brushless motor and ESC. Discontinuing that Slo-Max motor puts a real monkey wrench in everything!!
Jun 18, 2009, 08:38 AM
Cranky old fart
Balr14's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan

Since the CP2 has been discontinued, when the parts dry up and I can no longer buy CP2 main motors, I guess I'll just buy Esky FP2 main motors; it's the same motor but it comes with a 10 tooth pinion. So I'll be pulling 9 tooth pinions off of my old CP2 main motors (they are worn but better than nothing) and popping them on the FP2 main motors. I suppose I'll do this until I run out of used pinions. Then I'll have to see if I can find 9 tooth pinions that fit the FP2 main motor and mesh well with the CP2 main gear. Again, any suggestions are welcome...
I used the Xtreme 380 motor on several HBFP GuruZ/Neon conversions. It's much too strong for the BCPP or BCPP2. It should work fine in the CP2.
Jun 18, 2009, 08:56 AM
Registered User
elan's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14
I used the Xtreme 380 motor on several HBFP GuruZ/Neon conversions. It's much too strong for the BCPP or BCPP2. It should work fine in the CP2.
-Thanks for your post. Where did you get a, 8 tooth pinion for that motor that meshed with the Esky main gear? It seems to me that the motor should have worked, but seriously, the gear mesh with the 8 tooth pinion that the motor came with was really bad, to the point where it wouldn't fly, and like I said, the 9 tooth pinion that the CP2 motors use didn't work at all. I agree with you tho, it seems to me that Xtreme 380 should work with the CP2. Especially since I am using the same DD motor on the tail that the CP Pro2 uses with the Xtreme 380 motor...


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold Trex 450 aluminum head n tail, plug n play 250 shipped gandhimtb Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 11 Dec 15, 2008 08:36 PM
Sold Blade CP parts + plug-n-play Brushless tail trashmanf Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 8 Apr 14, 2006 03:42 PM
So a 401 isnt just "Plug n Play" ? McDanger Micro Helis 0 Nov 16, 2005 08:10 PM
Twist Plug N' Play blizzardwarrior7 Fuel Plane Talk 7 Oct 10, 2005 08:43 PM
RFFS100 Plug 'n' Play Mod ? Andycart Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 6 May 21, 2003 07:13 PM