Centi-Phase

Hi Garry FYI
I weighed my wings tail and fuse here is individual weights
port wing 11.04
Starb 11.25
Fuse 31
Stab 1.75
Total all up 55.04Oz
As I have said flying requires little elevator. Spoilers are effective and predictable. turns require Rudder/Elevator input [at least for me]

If you PM me your address I'll send you airmail a copy of the original plans
David
to remove ads between posts
May 30, 2009, 06:04 PM
Thread OP

Offending nose weight

I've just got to get this out.

Perhaps I can drill and tap it and pull it out.

Stretching the camera limits here.

Spot the pop rivet used as a canopy retainer!

No pain, no gain.

GB
May 30, 2009, 06:42 PM
Thread OP
Marvellous, thanks Dave.

Have PM'd you. This is what RC Groups is all about, friendly co-operation.

Need to convert your weights to Metric, like many Brits of my era I was brought up on pounds, shillings and pence and pounds and ounces. As an aircraft engineer I only hit the Metric System about 1992 with the Panavia Tornado. I have an original DH Gipsy Major engine manual for the Tiger Moth and there is a mixture of units from about 1955, very strange.

All very confusing and I struggle to do the sums in my head.

At least the 'Euro' is effectively the same as Pound Sterling now!

Your weights are with radio but it gives me a good baseline to aim for.

Cheers

Gary
Last edited by Gary Binnie; May 30, 2009 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Spelling (again!)
Jun 01, 2009, 08:22 AM
Thread OP

Fuselage progress

More paint removal has the weight down to 708g so another couple of ounces have gone.

Tried to remove the lead from the nose but not having much luck, have just managed to drill some more holes in it.

The wing fillets are actually made out of hardwood of some kind which is not helping the weight. I am wondering what to do with these, leave them as they are, sand them shorter or take them off completely.

If I sand them off I won't need to worry about matching the wing section to them, guess I'm just dithering at the moment!

Gary
Jun 01, 2009, 11:22 AM

centi phase

Hi Garry

There are no wing fillets on a Cent-Phase, just an anti crush brace in fuselage, Maybe the original owner hung arround Ricki Shaw, one of Chris f
Foss friends, and picked up on Ricks models which featured wing fillets that had a 1/64th ply wrap around that way it illiminated wing tape.
Copy of original plans airmailed today you should have them by Monday Tuesday latest
Carry on the build mate
David El Britto
Jun 01, 2009, 11:52 AM
Thread OP
Cheers Dave, you are a star!!

Yep, I've noticed that other Centi's don't have fillets, I think they are going to have to go, just a little bit worried what state the glass will be in underneath them.

This one has the anti crush brace fitted, looks like half kidney shaped pieces of ply glassed in either side where it attaches.

The lead in the nose is annoying, maybe it will need some of it.

I might have a lead on canopies, a guy who runs a model shop in Oxford reckoned that he used to make canopies (and wings) for Chris's kits. Possible that he might have some lying about or maybe a plug for moulding. Fingers crossed.

Shame I don't have any photos at all of my first CP, I am sure that it had a wooden fuselage but I could be wrong!

Cheers

Gary
Jun 01, 2009, 12:39 PM

Cp

i don't think so, Chris was a friend/club member and he liked the way I built in fact he copied my starburst orange on the wings, as such I had his first production kit which was F/G fuse, obechie over foam wings, balsa R/S. Plans show this configeration. Heavens know's this could be a first time I was wrong, Nah! as my wife!!!
Bloody Brit.
David
Jun 01, 2009, 12:42 PM

Cp

Garry,
I would wait on the lead I have a 5 cell battery and lead how much? in mine for C/G
David
Jun 01, 2009, 01:26 PM
Thread OP

Time for a little operation!

Pass the sanding disc please nurse!

Well the fillets are history, whizzed them off in about five minutes.

Glass is good underneath and I have uncovered another set of joiner tubes!!

Presume these are the originals, two equal diameter brass tubes, they look well fixed.

Weight is now down to 660g (including the heavy rudder), just a little more sanding to do to tidy up the wing root area.

Yep, the lead might be needed, no clue at this stage.

I will try to contact the original owner of my first CP, he will know more about it having built it. I do remember that it was white all over.

Just off to deliver the dead Gipsy engine to a syndicate partner for storage, I did blog the engine change BTW. He is an aeromodeller and has in excess of 400 unmade kits at his house!! Not been there before so I could be a long time!

Gary
Jun 01, 2009, 05:19 PM
Thread OP

Converted weights

Just got back from my friends house, we were too busy parking the dead engine to have a look at his models but another kit had just arrived, a KeilKraft Slicker 50, you know its old when the box has rusty staples!!

Back to the CP, just converting David's weights to Metric for reference:

Port wing: 313g

Stbd wing: 319g (noting that the wings have spoilers fitted)

Fuselage/rudder (radio equipped and noseweight/joiner wires): 879g

Stabs: 50g

Total RTF: 1560g

E-mail just in from 'Barry the cutter', lets see what we can do about some new wings.

GB
Jun 11, 2009, 08:40 AM
Thread OP

A million mysteries solved!

The plan that David sent me all the way from California just arrived safe and sound. A thousand thanks Dave, have PM'd you.

I am over the moon!!

It has certainly cleared up some mysteries, the plan is much more detailed than I was expecting with a built up wing and spoiler option. Marvellous!!

There is some sweep forward on the wing trailing edge (I thought there was none) and the dihedral angle looks much more than my guessed figure.

A minor mystery is that the fuselage nose is about 1" longer than the plan view, it follows the line exactly everywhere else, maybe it is a mod to reduce noseweight. Not important, just interesting.

Now I have a choice of foam wings or built up wings, doh!!

I have also started another model, double doh!!

Too much to do, not enough time, roll on retirement!

Cheers

Gary
Jun 11, 2009, 09:10 AM
Thread OP

Nose mystery solved

I just spotted in the photo of the nose above that it says '30 x 53' in the bottom LH corner of the plan which would presumably be the size of the black line frame outlining the plan.

I measured it and I'm getting 28.5 x 50 inches so there has been some shrinkage coming across the Atlantic!!

Handy that Chris Foss put that there originally, it's no problem at all, I can apply a correction factor, all the angles are not affected, bonus!

Happy days

GB
Jun 11, 2009, 12:24 PM
His drafting is outstanding as I've seen on my Phase 5 plan's, I think most people can appriciate that. My plan outline also has a dimension. I also enlarged a set of his plan's for the Phase 1+4 that was featured in June 73' issue of Model Airplane News. A sloper of similar dimension to the 5 but has a T-tail with an E-374 airfoil, some day.
Jun 11, 2009, 12:35 PM
Thread OP
You can't beat a good plan, I can stare at them for hours!

Technical Drawing (or 'TD' as it was known) was a subject that I wished I had taken at school.

Have you got a thread going on the Phase 5? Would like to know more about it.

GB
Jun 11, 2009, 12:51 PM
Gary go to slope, Phase 5 build thread. Drafting was my best subject in school, went all the way to architecual drafting and got an a+ grade for the year. The only A I ever got. I also did some H.S. level teaching of drafting. My mom was a tracer for Falk co. right out of H.S. too. BTW she also ferried a few P-47 Thunderbolt's that had British marking's according to her diary of 44'. Woop's there I go again yakking about my mom, sorry. Later Dave.

Quick Reply