Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
May 26, 2009, 09:53 AM
Registered User
Discussion

Norway Open Eurotour 2009 - Report & Results


Well at long last I managed to free up some time to head over to Norway with long-time F3F buddy, John Phillips to compete in the Norway Open.

All went well until we arrived at Heathrow to check-in luggage and model boxes. I was told that the extra 30kg's of equipment would incur an additional 196 tariff each way a little much for an air ticket costing 127 return. After much discussion, we paid 40 Euros and declared the goods as 'sport equipment / kites', the closest description available. Relief!

Espen kindly agreed to host us at his industrial model complex (affectionately known amongst the Brits as 'Torpland') for four days of racing, socialising, building and model talk. After 130 worth of grocery shopping for packed lunches and breakfasts (plus a few cans of Norwegian lager sheesh its expensive!), we rested in preparation for the warm-up competition scheduled for Thursday.

Unfortunately, torrential rain compromised any hope of flying, other than a very damp flight of Espen's RaceMx to check elevator trim. Friday was also rained off, removing the opportunity for overseas competitors to familiarise themselves with the dynamics of the local slopes and model suitability (let's get the excuses in early).

With many competitors scheduled to head home on Sunday, the pressure was on to fly four or more rounds on Saturday. Fortunately, the day dawned bright, with a 5-7m/s breeze on the main coastal site (The Wall), and remained this way until a halt to proceedings was called after six rounds mercifully for me as I suffered from severe sunburn in the deceptively cool coastal breeze.

In terms of a flying experience, this really was a thrill-ride. To post a competitive time, the model needed to be placed within a 3m square channel of lift that ran down the length of the dry-stone wall, capping the 5m high cliff.

The pilot also needed to be well versed with the Scandinavian/Nordic turn style to retain the racing line and generate sufficient speed from such narrow compression any model exiting a turn outside of the lift channel suffered a huge loss of energy and speed.

Interestingly, because the surface of the wall was so flat and consistent, it could be used by the pilot as a sight-line for the model in level flight. In fact, competitive times became as dependent on in-course positioning as they did on turn-timing and accuracy.

Coupled with the consistent coastal conditions and compression-runs to increase climb-out, the competition quickly became as much of a test of nerve and strategy, as it did flying skill.

So how did the pilots perform?

Well, as you would expect the Norwegians and Danes looked a class apart in these conditions for me, Bjorn-Tore Hagen (Freestyler) and Knud Hebsgaard (Ceres F3F) offered superb entertainment and were a real pleasure to watch. Unfortunately, Jorgen Larsen and Espen flew after my slot, so I was unable to absorb their techniques, but suffice to say they were both leading the charge.

The German contingent armed with Freestylers and Radicals tried extremely hard and flew very well, but adopted a flatter turn technique which may not have been best suited to the environment.

The Brits faired quite well in the conditions, managing to adjust to the strategic requirements of the slope. JP was especially unlucky not to have secured a Top-5 position due to a dramatic shift of wind direction in the last round, which was a real shame. Up until then he had been right on the pace, with conditions suiting his natural flying style. However, a well deserved 9th place provided a respectable result.

I managed to fly the Freestyler in the right area of the sky, but suffered in the turns with a slightly rearward CG (lessons clearly not being learnt from Slovakia). The last two rounds were completed with the RaceMx, which proved to easier to fly accurately, and helped bolster my final position to 4th place.

So that's it congratulations to Espen for taking the win (again), and to Bjorn-Tore and Jorgen for putting up such a strong display of flying skills.

Final thanks to Espen for supplying accommodation and generosity of spirit, Rolf for a marvellous BBQ, and the Norwegian guys for making us feel so welcome!

One final comment which may be of interest the score disparity between the top 15 pilots was less than 7.5%, clearly illustrating the consistency of the coastal conditions and evenness of pilot skills.

Results here:http://www.f3x.no/index2.htm
Pics here: http://www.gmfk.net/index.php?option...d=19&Itemid=64


Greg
Last edited by Greg Dakin; May 26, 2009 at 05:29 PM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
May 26, 2009, 02:41 PM
Also known as simon_t
en_spt's Avatar
Great report Greg, I guess the sunburn should be about to convert into body dandruff now The slope sounds ideally suited to yours and john's flying style, and I am sure a few days in 'Torpland' were great fun. A colleague from work has just got back from a Norwegian cruise, and we were only talking todau about the price of beer. But I guess beer is cheap compared to excess baggage charges. I can see how aircraft like the race M ult were designed (still loving it!).

Hopefully see you in Wales next week (It is an International being in Wales - so no excuses)

Simon
May 26, 2009, 03:21 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by en_spt
I can see how aircraft like the race M ult were designed (still loving it!).

Hopefully see you in Wales next week (It is an International being in Wales - so no excuses)

Simon
Thanks Simon. Well conditions certainly allowed a meaningful evaluation to be made on the models - the upshot being that there seemed very little difference in performance between any of the leading designs. The handling / tracking of the RaceMx certainly worked in its favour in the narrow lift band, and it was possible to pull pretty hard in the turns without fear of a tip-stall.

It also showed just how inappropriate inland slopes can be when trying to make a comparitive analysis between airframes...

Ref Wales, I really need to get down there - we have a Ceres Lift to play with, and a Freestyler to hand over to Mr.Passingham!

Cheers

Greg
May 27, 2009, 03:28 AM
Registered User
Great report Greg, would love to fly on a site like that (again). I flew on the sea wall at Withernsea with a MM Avenger...and like you say the lift is very localised, maybe trying to do square horizontal eights wasn`t the best things to try.... once out of the band there is no way back, it didnt get too wet before I recovered it from the sea edge!

Mark, look after that Freestyler mate wink wink when your done! haha

Looking at the scores,planes flown and very consistant conditions it seems there is nothing to choose between the airfrrames, is it all hype? you know this plane is faster than that one because it has xyz.....discuss
Last edited by Paul Garnett; May 27, 2009 at 04:57 AM.
May 27, 2009, 05:35 AM
UAS Test Pilot
SpeedMaster's Avatar
Nice writeup Greg. Wish I could have been there... And yeah Reve/Hodne/"The Wall" can be quite a challenge.... Even for us Norwegians....
May 27, 2009, 04:28 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedMaster
Nice writeup Greg. Wish I could have been there... And yeah Reve/Hodne/"The Wall" can be quite a challenge.... Even for us Norwegians....
Thanks SpeedMaster - shame you couldn't make the event, it would have been good to have hooked up for a beer - glad to hear that it isn't just the UK guys that found Hodna such a challenge (it was great fun though).

Cheers

Greg
May 27, 2009, 04:37 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Garnett
Great report Greg, would love to fly on a site like that (again). I flew on the sea wall at Withernsea with a MM Avenger...and like you say the lift is very localised, maybe trying to do square horizontal eights wasn`t the best things to try.... once out of the band there is no way back, it didnt get too wet before I recovered it from the sea edge!

Mark, look after that Freestyler mate wink wink when your done! haha

Looking at the scores,planes flown and very consistant conditions it seems there is nothing to choose between the airfrrames, is it all hype? you know this plane is faster than that one because it has xyz.....discuss
Goodness me, the MM Avenger - that's going back a bit!

Sounds like you're already well practiced in coastal conditions Paul - Reckon that should we head to Denmark next year then!

No comment on new airframes and hype - wouldn't dare to offer a view.

See you on Sunday.

Greg
May 27, 2009, 05:05 PM
Also known as simon_t
en_spt's Avatar
MM Avenger. I had one of those and i really loved it. It was my first 'fast' glider, not that it would be considered fast at all now. I thought it was a really good looking glider of it's time

Simon
May 27, 2009, 05:16 PM
UAS Test Pilot
SpeedMaster's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Dakin
Thanks SpeedMaster - shame you couldn't make the event, it would have been good to have hooked up for a beer - glad to hear that it isn't just the UK guys that found Hodna such a challenge (it was great fun though).

Cheers

Greg
Thanks Greg,

I`m in the prosess of making my own F3F model, and the expenses are huge for a student. Maybe we get to meet next year.. (Tried to get to Welsh Open, but was one of the unlucky guys this year...)

My F3F`er can be found here: www.ksjohansen.blogspot.com - Should be a perfect match for "The Wall" -Got the idea from Espens Ultimate.

Cheers.

Kjell Sture.
May 27, 2009, 09:22 PM
Detail Freak
target's Avatar
Sounds like fun!

I would still love to get the VR here in SoCal, and have the races at two coastal sites, Fermin and White Point. It would be sweet.

And the Brits could all go out shooting afterwards! Yippee Kai Yay.

R,
Target
May 27, 2009, 09:57 PM
Eagle Butte User
PDX Slope Pilot's Avatar
I came across the mention of the "Norsk (Norwegian) Turn" in another discussion and was curious about it. Is it an up high turn then back down into the lift band?
May 28, 2009, 03:39 PM
Registered User
jojoen's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX Slope Pilot
I came across the mention of the "Norsk (Norwegian) Turn" in another discussion and was curious about it. Is it an up high turn then back down into the lift band?
It is mostly called a Danish turn...
Espen is a master of it but the one I think is best on it is Fritz Kristoffersen (also Norway pilot). A bit unconventional but this video shows it very well when he flies his upside down V-tail (flick a switch to land) in slight sidewind on Reve in Stavanger. Download and go to 7min into the video:
http://www.workflow.as/jogrini/video/norwayopen05.wmv
The video is from Norway Open 2005

jojo
Jun 01, 2009, 01:40 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedMaster
Thanks Greg,

I`m in the prosess of making my own F3F model, and the expenses are huge for a student. Maybe we get to meet next year.. (Tried to get to Welsh Open, but was one of the unlucky guys this year...)

My F3F`er can be found here: www.ksjohansen.blogspot.com - Should be a perfect match for "The Wall" -Got the idea from Espens Ultimate.

Cheers.

Kjell Sture.
Fantastic work Kjell - model looks super, and the perfect match for the wall!
Bad news on the Welsh Open front - there's always next year though - may be we can see your new model in action on the Wrecker then!

All the best,

Greg
Jun 01, 2009, 01:41 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoen
It is mostly called a Danish turn...
Espen is a master of it but the one I think is best on it is Fritz Kristoffersen (also Norway pilot). A bit unconventional but this video shows it very well when he flies his upside down V-tail (flick a switch to land) in slight sidewind on Reve in Stavanger. Download and go to 7min into the video:
http://www.workflow.as/jogrini/video/norwayopen05.wmv
The video is from Norway Open 2005

jojo
Hey, thanks for sharing the footage Jojo - love the look of that Super-Taifun, and the stylish flying!!

Cheers

Greg
Jun 01, 2009, 02:13 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Dakin
Fantastic work Kjell - model looks super, and the perfect match for the wall!
Bad news on the Welsh Open front - there's always next year though - may be we can see your new model in action on the Wrecker then!

All the best,

Greg
I will second that, looks fantastic, shame you can`t get in to the Welsh open sen me a model and I will give it a good airing for you....hahaha cough cough.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion German Open Dresden 2009 ydevriendt Hand Launch 7 Oct 21, 2008 12:14 PM