Nov 26, 2010, 12:54 PM
Thermals, Tom
I get it in Ohio, no problem.
Latest blog entry: Steak and Old Timers
to remove ads between posts
Nov 26, 2010, 01:08 PM
Voices through wires? Ha!
If flooding it won't work, try the "soft nylon string" into the cylinder and gently turn the crank (with a prop) up towards TDC. Don't force it though; if it needs more than gentle hand pressure, better to take it apart and tap the contra back and forth with a wooden dowel. You'll lose your nice fits but that's better than a bent rod or pin.
Nov 26, 2010, 02:55 PM
I've fixed a sticking contra piston on a couple of diesels, last one was a Frog 150 I bought in un-run condition. Remove the contra piston & wedge a 2" or so piece of slightly oversize wooden dowel into the top recess as tight as possible. Put the dowel in the chuck of a drill or lathe, run it & lightly "sand" it with fine wet & dry paper but only for a few seconds. Remove, clean well with meths or petrol (gas), lubricate with a drop of light oil & try in the bore. Repeat if necessary but be careful not to overdo it or you'll end up with a loose cp.
Nov 26, 2010, 05:35 PM
Thread OP
Jimmy, you said, “Once it was running the contra piston would not back out allowing the compression to be lessened”.
How well was the diesel running, ie) just right or over compressed (black smoke and sounding unhappy?)
If it was running “ok” try running it a little more leaving the compression screw backed off, or take it out. It may loosen off on it's own.
Jack’s suggestion is good.
You might also try heating the outside top area with a hot air gun (up to operating temperature or a little higher), then flipping the prop. Put the engine in the freezer, remove and quickly heat up, flip, try again.
Do not force the piston up, you may bend the rod.
Nov 26, 2010, 10:50 PM
cat herder
Putting my finger over the intake while it was running did the trick. I did battle with it and a PAW .03rc today-- right now my neck and shoulder are losing.
Nov 27, 2010, 03:49 PM
Thread OP
Success with the Merco.
A few posts back I posted a few pictures of a used Merco diesel. I got it apart except for one very stubborn head bolt that just would not budge. I had suggestions of cutting the bolt head off using a fine hack saw held between the cooling fins. Luck was on my side. In trying to torque the bolt, the head broke off. Now, I thought, this is going to be easy, just grab onto the bolt threads and torque it out. No such luck. I broke the bolt again, but a small section remained sticking out. After months of sonification (in AT and acetone), heating, using a vibrating engraver on the stud, more heat, penetrating oil, I finally got the bolt out. I think the previous owner used lock-tight. Re-tapping the threads to clean them out brought up a lot of “residue”. I’ll post pictures later of the Merco.
Nov 28, 2010, 10:44 AM
cat herder
Kroil is a wonder penetrant available here in the states. It does everything from cleaning firearms to removing warts.
Nov 29, 2010, 04:10 AM
Sic itur ad Astra

Heet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag1260
For those of you making your own fuel, in the USA, what specific brands of ether are you finding that work. I know John Deere but am having a problem getting it.
HEET from ACE hardware, is the only stuff that I have seen in the UAE, for sure I can't get John Deere! I have no idea what the actual concentration of Di-ethyl ether is, but it seems to work alright on the small diesels I have.
sparks
Nov 29, 2010, 08:51 PM
Thread OP

head bolt is out

Here's the residue from the broken head bolt in the Merco

see post 977 page 66, this shows the exhaust area and if you look closely, a small crack which shows up later.

and

the unknown diesel
Last edited by JohnAV8R; Nov 29, 2010 at 08:59 PM. Reason: see post 977
Nov 29, 2010, 09:08 PM
JohnAV8R,
Have you run this Merco 5cc? if you have, what is your opinion of it?
I have one brand new in box and don't know whether I should contemplate using it or keep it as a collector item. It doesn't seem to be in the same league as the two Merco 49's I have.
Nov 30, 2010, 05:07 PM
Thread OP
JMP, no I haven't run this Merco. It's totally apart, will take pictures and post.
It is not of the overall quality of the old .49, .60 twin plug motors. This one has an excellent piston/cylinder fit, but a poor crank case, no bearings, not even a bronze one for the crank. The metal on the carb is also badly pitted. I suspect the first owner did not know much about the motor and did not run it much, other than to "gum" it up. What you see, isn't always what you get.
On the other hand, the "unknown" is very crudely made, probably due to lack of good tools.
Dec 04, 2010, 08:37 AM
Thread OP

Merco 5 cc diesel, what's inside

How many of these diesels are around?
Are many of you still using them? If so, how well have they held up?
Dec 04, 2010, 01:50 PM
Here are some of my diesels .

Mike1484

Quick Reply