Oct 07, 2010, 07:23 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV8R
Twin-StacK
http://www.mellorsandkirkcatalogues..../lot0014-0.jpg
In this picture, what is the engine on the left? It looks very modern.
That is the above mentioned Allouchery Turbolid.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 07, 2010, 08:15 PM
Closed Account
And here's what Peter Chinn had to say about it, in his last ever Global Engine Survey which appeared in the 1968 american aircraft Modeler Annual.
Oct 07, 2010, 08:19 PM
Voices through wires? Ha!
Yes, sorry Twin-Stack, I got it mixed up with the Cormorant, which I think was 1cc, and a pretty engine in its own right. Petomane got sucked in because his repertoire included impressions of the Battle of Waterloo, and since his finale was an aural interpretation of the San Francisco Earthquake, it is obvious that a French diesel would be a breeze.
Oct 08, 2010, 04:24 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Twin-Stack. That's a really neat little engine.
Oct 09, 2010, 04:02 AM
Sic itur ad Astra
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks59
Hey guys,

I'm grinning like a Cheshire cat!

Found a little brass pot in a small 'knick knack shop, it seemed a lot easier than cutting up the small tin cans, and i couldn't find gluehands proverbial mustard pot, so the brass pot won out.
drilled two holes and soldered in a suction and vent pipe from the brass left over from the crappy clunk tank, then soldered around the middle of the pot and gave it a blow in some hot water...no bubbles so it was game on.

Mounted the PAW in my timber test bearers..on the model board..on the dining room table, filled the tank with some fresh mixed fuel and hooked up the line.

A couple of priming strokes to pull the fuel through then I started flicking.

The first six or seven were mostly just to get things whetted and bring on the compression, 1/8 or so at a time...then, nearly at the right point and a little kick, a tad more on the screw and next flick .... after around 36 years of dormancy in a cardboard box...

the little PAW was deafening everyone in the flat!

Whatta great little motor it was..and still is.

Thanks to all of you guys for your words of encouragement, tips, reminders and advice.

need to get something set up outdoors so that I can give it a good run now!

sparks
Hey Guys,
You are the only people I know who would appreciate this feeling.
I mounted the PAW on a piece of plywood and G-cramped it to the top of 2 stools stacked, filled the tank with the fuel I made up last week, no it wasn't fresh! And started flicking. It took a while to prime, and get the line free, etc etc but it was firing so I knew it was going to go...then it caught!

Brought up the compression a little and then balanced compression and the needle until it was singing! Yahooooooo! what a fantastic trip down memory lane!!! Ran it for a few minutes until the tank was dry!...all the time thinking that maybe I should be taking it easy after so long idle, but then I recalled how many times it had been screaming on the front of many CL models..and thought 'Have it'

Now..to mount up the Merlin and see if i get any success there!

sparks! in Ether heaven.
Oct 09, 2010, 11:32 AM
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1302521

know what you mean Sparks, you just don't get that from a wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Turnigy! When Elgar was asked if his "Cockaigne" opus was pronounced correctly, he replied "Ether will do."
Last edited by Chas; Oct 09, 2010 at 02:22 PM.
Oct 09, 2010, 01:45 PM
Sic itur ad Astra
A little clip of the 'as Chas so eloquently puts it' the 'wheeeeeeeeeeeeee!'

PAW test run 9Oct10A (1 min 41 sec)
Oct 09, 2010, 01:50 PM
Sic itur ad Astra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1302521

know what you mean Sparks, you just don't get that from a wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee from a Turnigy! When Elgar was asked if his "Cockaigne" opus was pronounced correctly, he replied "Ether will do."
Nice rasp of the Irvine Mills Chas!
sparks
Oct 09, 2010, 02:30 PM
Wonderful vid sparks, you can sense the delight - although us married guys would never get away with the wipe on the best towels!
I tried posting vids here before but RCG always sent me packing to the Video section.
That Irvine Mills will only pull about 6.5k on a 7x4 and I reckon the shaft eccentricity has raised the piston with respect to the liner and buggered up the timing. Buy British!
I will fire up my DC Merlin too and post a vid and we can compare timbres! What a hobby.
C
Oct 09, 2010, 03:43 PM
Sic itur ad Astra
Ha! you spotted the 'wipe'..hahaaha. but it was a set of overalls not a towel so no biggie.

I also ran the Merlin today, but the battery on the camera expired before the @#$% thing started, the timbre of the DC is very sedate after the banshee of the Macclesfield Marvel

Post your vid to you tube, then copy the link in here.
sparks
Oct 09, 2010, 04:07 PM
With a glove, yet .... this younger generation ... pshaw ....

Always interesting to watch a southpaw flick a diesel. I know it works just as well but not often seen. I'm naturally lefthanded yet I've always started engines with my right,

Without a glove .....
Oct 09, 2010, 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehoney
... I'm naturally lefthanded yet I've always started engines with my right,

Without a glove .....
Is that because you've got no fingers left on the left ?
Oct 09, 2010, 06:10 PM
Thinking back, the vast majority of my diesel-generated injuries, were not caused by the prop attacking my finger, but rather by my beginner-fingers attacking a sharp nylon prop, or later on, Master Airscrews, still not sanded down slightly...nowadays, sanding the backside of the Masters is a routine...

Bloodshed, yes indeed , I've been there , though in most cases it was not actively caused by an 'aggressive' engine....
This is my experience, that's why I don't support the myth of diesels generally beeing 'finger-beaters'...or is this just me...?

Last edited by Gluehand; Oct 09, 2010 at 06:32 PM.
Oct 09, 2010, 10:36 PM
>Is that because you've got no fingers left on the left ?

LOL - full set! Right hand has started anything from .010 to .60.

I agree with Gluehand. I haven't used master props for many years but do not recall any problem with them - but APC's are another matter entirely. the trrailing edge of the blade is razor sharp
Oct 10, 2010, 12:57 AM
I'm with you; I have all my fingers as well, although a couple of them are more scar tissue than normal skin...

We never saw much bloodshed until the really big engines showed up in our parts: something about a 14"+ prop that has more authority. Starters are fairly well mandatory for the biggies, but diesels really need the "feel" to know when it is ready to run, that familiar "bump" you get. Because I run mostly rare engines, I rely on wood props, as I can neither afford to replace a crank, even if one was available!

Quick Reply