Aug 26, 2010, 05:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-Stack
Has anyone ever run one of those soft "Jello" Keil Kraft Tru-Flex propellers? Obviously, you wouldn't try it on a PAW Combat Special, but are they OK for the slow revving engines from the same era, eg. ED Comp. Special? I presume that they were just as floppy back in the early 1950's as they are now. BOB
Keil kraft were way ahead of their time, this was the world's first true infinitely variable pitch prop .
I had one until very recently, it clinched the sale of an ed bee mk 1, even on that engine you could see the baldes deform when it was running....
to remove ads between posts
Aug 26, 2010, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-Stack
Has anyone ever run one of those soft "Jello" Keil Kraft Tru-Flex propellers? Obviously, you wouldn't try it on a PAW Combat Special, but are they OK for the slow revving engines from the same era, eg. ED Comp. Special? I presume that they were just as floppy back in the early 1950's as they are now. BOB
I had an 8X8 one of them back in the '50s.
I used to bolt it onto my ED Mk2..........What a powerhouse.........What a prop.
I remember it split at the hole where it was bolted on.
Aug 26, 2010, 05:18 PM
Yes, Matador and Madcap are certainly good candidates for the Hornet....I also had a vague thought of the Veron Skyskooter, built with the enlarged span, suggested on the plan...this would be a nostalgia trip for me, as I had an F/F Skyskooter with an ED Bee MkII around 1960....

At the moment however, I am leaning towards a Veron Deacon, maybe rudder only.....I think the Deacon & Hornet would be an appropriate and stylish combo.....mm...we'll see....
Aug 27, 2010, 12:35 AM
Sure, a glow engine will make a plastic prop distort, but nothing like the distortion a diesel can cause! The first time I watched a diesel slightly off-tune with a Tornado prop, it scared the spit out of me! Nowadays, the carbon props don't show that any more, but a wood prop will at least save the crank on a "sudden arrival"...
Aug 27, 2010, 06:14 AM
pch
pch
Fascinating thread, though it has taken some days to read it all.
Keep up the good work guys!

I feel that most of us are trying to relive our youth with early diesels, particularly in the old control line models.

I am now trying to get a small collection of engines together that I missed or could not afford the first time round, whilst I can still afford them, also plans of the models I lusted after or have fond memories of. This will hopefully keep me going through my pending retirement & into my dotage.

Things change however and the great problem today in the UK is where & how to use my new/old toys, space for FF is getting very limited and no one could get away with the flying CL in the way & places we use to, too much noise & too many Health & Safety issues.

Thanks for the memories of Doncaster & of B Cuttriss model shop. I remember flying a Pal Joey on single channel at Doncaster airport & of flying CL in the school sports field with Johnny Cuttriss who was a couple of years ahead of me at school.

Now going to gloat over the latest aquisition a NIB Pfeffer PB 0.6, bought on eBay & just delivered this morning.

Thanks for the memories.........Paul
Aug 27, 2010, 03:07 PM
Voices through wires? Ha!
Just to help with those memories....
Aug 27, 2010, 03:45 PM
Sic itur ad Astra
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch
Fascinating thread, though it has taken some days to read it all.
Keep up the good work guys!

I feel that most of us are trying to relive our youth with early diesels, particularly in the old control line models.

I am now trying to get a small collection of engines together that I missed or could not afford the first time round, whilst I can still afford them, also plans of the models I lusted after or have fond memories of. This will hopefully keep me going through my pending retirement & into my dotage.

Things change however and the great problem today in the UK is where & how to use my new/old toys, space for FF is getting very limited and no one could get away with the flying CL in the way & places we use to, too much noise & too many Health & Safety issues.

Thanks for the memories of Doncaster & of B Cuttriss model shop. I remember flying a Pal Joey on single channel at Doncaster airport & of flying CL in the school sports field with Johnny Cuttriss who was a couple of years ahead of me at school.

Now going to gloat over the latest aquisition a NIB Pfeffer PB 0.6, bought on eBay & just delivered this morning.

Thanks for the memories.........Paul
Hi Paul,
Good to see another Donny lad, reliving his youth.
Me and my mates used to fly CL, small FF, chuck and tow gliders and rubber power on the town fields mostly, we also flew other FF and RC on the racecourse. It used to drive the golfers mad if we landed anywhere near the fairways, but hey, they are golfing on public ground, so what was their problem. :-)
Mark the sparks
Sep 01, 2010, 07:52 PM
Thread OP

RITM diesel

Here's another small diesel with a rear drum intake.
Sep 02, 2010, 08:29 AM
Quote:
What do you consider beeing the most appropriate model - in all senses - for this engine...?
Well in my part of the world Gluehand, the ideal model to fit it into is big and green and is collected and emptied every Tuesday morning.

The Fury was a much better engine. My own experience with the ? Hornet was in model boats and after the ease and smooth runing and starting of the Racer, its little brother was one of the most temperamental little B*****s to play with.

Others may dissagree, maybe I had a Monday or Friday engine, but mine used more fuel trying to start it than went through it in running.

Regards Ian.
Sep 02, 2010, 04:28 PM

Aurora Mills 0.37cc Diesel

I received an email from Mr Kumar of Aurora in India today. He's considering re-starting production of the .37cc K-Mills and was asking whether it might be wanted by many modellers.

I'm not keen on such small engines myself, but what do other people think?

DB
Sep 02, 2010, 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circlip
Well in my part of the world Gluehand, the ideal model to fit it into is big and green and is collected and emptied every Tuesday morning.
LOL , yeah, I respect that, as I'm just too familiar to that feel....

However, my experience with the rear disc ED's is different though, as the examples that I've dealt with (I think about 5 different models) have all been very gentle starters.... Having said that, the Bee/Hornet range has one disadvantage (or weak point) in common: The intake tube is a very loose fit to the backplate, on some examples very sloppy.

With a leak on this point, the engine will draw an uncontrolled excess of air OR fuel (depending on the present fuel level in the tank), thus making it seriously tricky to start and/or adjust.... By checking/fixing this, you'll have an extremely user-friendly engine....no powerhouse though, but love overrules performance, doesn't it..? ...

The Bees (MkI & MkII) and the Hornet share the same design on this point, thus also sharing this disadvantage....and when receiving this Hornet, I immediately noticed that it is no exception.....a non-silicon sealing paste will do the trick though...

After this fix, I expect this Hornet to be as gentle as its smaller brothers....mm, we'll see...

In fact, the intake tube on these engines is retained and positioned by the tank......meaning that if you wish to use a separate tank, you'll have to make up some kind of clamp, to prevent the tube from turning and fall out, (taking advantage of the tank retaining screw hole, using a shorter screw)...otherwise the intake tube will come loose in no time....

Last edited by Gluehand; Sep 03, 2010 at 04:09 AM.
Sep 02, 2010, 08:03 PM
Thread OP
DeeBee1, has his production quality come up?
Not too many of us want poorly made engines.
Even on EBay there isn't a lot of interest.
Now if a decent quality of engine is being offered, who knows what the interest could be.
What other offerings are available?
Please feel free to post information and pictures here. Thanks
Sep 03, 2010, 02:44 AM
Hi JohnAV8R,

We have had a UK distributer of the Aurora K-Mills .75cc and 1.3cc (both free flight and R/C versions) for a few years now. He has sold quite a few of the larger capacity engines and from what I have read they run fine. I know there was a problem with soft crankshafts or something years ago. I don't know if that's been resolved, but the feedback I have heard and seen has been good.

The other engines currently offered are all Mills look-alike replicas: 0.75cc, 1.0cc, 1.3cc and 1.5cc. All available as FF or R/C. I'm afraid I don't have any photos, but a Mills looks like a Mills

DB
Sep 03, 2010, 02:58 AM
Voices through wires? Ha!
It's tough getting these replicas! I've been in email contact with a certain UK "producer" for three years now, looking for an Oliver Jaguar replica, but he has been "going to the anodisers" for 36 months.
An Enfield Bullet looks like a Bullet, but for God's sake don't waste your time, effort or money.
Sep 03, 2010, 06:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas
An Enfield Bullet looks like a Bullet, but for God's sake don't waste your time, effort or money.
Well whatever

Anyway these K-Mills seem to run fine, spares are available and they are considering making a .37cc version again if anybody is interested. There is a UK distributer and I expect Carlson will get them in North America.

DB

Quick Reply