Aug 09, 2015, 11:16 PM
Hi P. G. ,

Big ports are intake ports and go towards the front . Small ports go to the exhaust side of the case . You may still be sucking air from that rear needle valve hole . Do you see the slot in the back of the case where my needle valve ass. is ? What is the number of your motor ? Mine is 112 .

Mike AMA1484
to remove ads between posts
Aug 09, 2015, 11:44 PM
Hello PG,
The exhaust port in the liner obviously goes to the rear. The exhaust port in the liner is the one with the top of it Closest to the top of the liner . TheVenturi you have should not have an air leak as its not for the rear mounted nva . I do hope you marked the piston to show which way it was orientated in the liner BEFORE you dismantled the engine . Particularly if the engine is used ,which I think is the case .
Aug 09, 2015, 11:45 PM
Now I have to land that thing?
Hi Mike, thanks for your pics - I see our engines are different, now. See attached pic of my venturi - different.

Looks like my liner was inserted backwards with the big holes toward the exhaust - that and the loose head may do much for getting this running. Really looking forward to trying things out tomorrow. Thanks a bunch for that.

My engine is #821 stamped on underside of port side (left, looking at back of engine) beam mount. D7 stamped on underside of other beam mount.

I didn't answer your earlier question, but the pressure tap has a screw and some gasket material under it to seal it off.

I agree about air possibly leaking through the rear NV hole. Sealing that hole may not be too bad using a thru-bolt (screw), washers and even gasket material.

Hey, thanks for all that help and I'll see what happens tomorrow, will let you know.
Best,
Poughkeepsie Pete
Aug 10, 2015, 12:15 AM
Now I have to land that thing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Potter
Hello PG,
The exhaust port in the liner obviously goes to the rear. The exhaust port in the liner is the one with the top of it Closest to the top of the liner . TheVenturi you have should not have an air leak as its not for the rear mounted nva . I do hope you marked the piston to show which way it was orientated in the liner BEFORE you dismantled the engine . Particularly if the engine is used ,which I think is the case .
Thank you Geoff - I didn't go so far as to remove the piston, so hopefully that will not be an issue when I try this out tomorrow.
Cheers - PG
Aug 10, 2015, 01:53 AM
O dear , I do hope not ,but maybe the damage has already been done I'm afraid !
Aug 10, 2015, 07:49 AM
PG ,

Yes my D7 has a 6 bolt head . I have no instructions for this motor. A loose head may cause a problem but the contra piston contains the combustion pressure .There should be a gasket on the rear cover . To remove the piston I had to make a tiny hook from piano wire and fish out the wrist pin after the cylinder was removed .

Mike1484
Aug 10, 2015, 08:54 AM
Dieselized User
If the liner was in backward, this is likely the only problem. That venturi design doesn't require an o-ring. Air leaking through the additional hole near the venturi won't cause problems during running. If it leaks it will be obvious only during choking. The contrapiston seals the combustion chamber so nothing to worry about here.

Greg
Aug 10, 2015, 09:15 PM

MVVS diesel D7

Did not work . Try next one for MVVS D7.

Mike1484
Last edited by Mike1484; Aug 10, 2015 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Not right. Please remove
Aug 10, 2015, 09:25 PM

MVVS D7 diesel

http://sceptreflight.net/Model%20Eng...sts/Index.html

Try this again .

Mike1484
Aug 10, 2015, 10:06 PM
My view over the back fence..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon_fork
Hi There,

I posted this in the engine forum but someone suggested I ask on this thread.
I'm hoping someone can help me out here.
I have this Mills 0.75 replica but have very limited knowledge about Mills Diesels.

It came in an Irvine Box but I'm not sure if it's actually an Irvine.
I was of the understanding the Irvine engines were all made with black crank cases.

Don't think it is a Gordon Burford Mills, but was advised it was a Ivor F. Doonside Mills.

http://modelenginenews.org/cardfile/m75.html

According to the URL it states that the Irvine Mills had a thread on the fuel tank to stop the Tank from "Running away". My tank has no threads.!
Another thing is that according to that same link, the Doonside Mills had a little pin in the case to prevent the Cylinder liner from moving when the head was tightened.
My engine seems to have that little pin too!

I've attached photos of the Engine, with box and instructions which came with it.
I don't think the box and instructions go with the engine though!

So the evidence so far points to it being a Ivor F. Mills.

Can anyone help confirm it's heritage?
Further to the discussion back on page 626, I just noticed another of these engines that sold on Aussie ebay a couple of weeks ago.

Looks the same as yours, with the same box. The seller says the original owner purchased it from Owen Engines, and has the receipt.

From the ebay add -
"I have listed this engine as used, but it shows no signs of being run. Mounts show no signs of bolts or washer marks and I bought it from an elderly gent that had bought it from Owen Engines and his receipted invoice is included in the box, with a total cost in 1999 of $230.00. The Irvine company has a great reputation for manufacturing engines that have very fine tolerances and unlike the Indian copies, this one will give long life! Comes with the original box and instructions, plus a sheet from David Owens on starting procedure. Good Luck!!"

Also, this box, and yours, says "Mk. 11", so perhaps later Irvines came with crankcase webs and different tank mounting arrangements???
Aug 10, 2015, 11:08 PM

Mills

Don't be fooled by the boxes. An easy check is to see whether it has a M3 (metric) removable stud screwed into the crankshaft. If the engine has one, it's Russian. Irvine Mills, like the originals, Indian and Taipan/Doonside replicas have one-piece crankshaft with 4BA thread.

Maris
Aug 10, 2015, 11:41 PM
That looks the same as my Russian Doonside, as it was called when I bought it. Supposedly, mine was reworked by Peter Burford with original Doonside piston and liner, but I cannot confirm this. My Irvines do not have the webs AND the crankcases are both black anodized (?). I would love to find an original Mills and a Doonside to complete my collection but they just seem to be out of my reach these days.
Aug 10, 2015, 11:43 PM

Mvvs d7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1484
Or this to take you straight to it. The eagle eyed might even see a familiar name for the author .
Aug 11, 2015, 01:19 AM
I fly SLOPE landings are crash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Steve
Further to the discussion back on page 626, I just noticed another of these engines that sold on Aussie ebay a couple of weeks ago.

Looks the same as yours, with the same box. The seller says the original owner purchased it from Owen Engines, and has the receipt.

From the ebay add -
"I have listed this engine as used, but it shows no signs of being run. Mounts show no signs of bolts or washer marks and I bought it from an elderly gent that had bought it from Owen Engines and his receipted invoice is included in the box, with a total cost in 1999 of $230.00. The Irvine company has a great reputation for manufacturing engines that have very fine tolerances and unlike the Indian copies, this one will give long life! Comes with the original box and instructions, plus a sheet from David Owens on starting procedure. Good Luck!!"

Also, this box, and yours, says "Mk. 11", so perhaps later Irvines came with crankcase webs and different tank mounting arrangements???

Check with David Owen before you run it. He posts as Sabre250.

If it is an Indian Mills and hasn't been run.
They suffered from shafts that were too hard. I have one that broke the shaft. That's how I know about them.
Aug 11, 2015, 03:05 AM
So you send it down and I put one of mine in it and it don't break anymore . Simple !

Quick Reply